Stars of Generation V - Page 2

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars of Generation V

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stars of Generation V

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    He doesn't star in OU, though. He has a nice niche, but he isn't powerful enough for him to used very often.
    That's true. If Sandstorm becomes more popular, he may have a usage increase, but I don't see that as very likely. Of course, he could become quite powerful in UU, if he's dropped there. But for now, you're right, he's not a huge force.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

When you have to rely on Super Effective coverage for all your moves, you are as good as Electivire.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Stoutland can always land OHKO's on the main Dragons really well using Return. I'm LOing my Stoutland now, seeing how it works.
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its LU for a reason. Excadrill does it better generally. Its faster and more powerful. Unless you are using this along side excadrill, I wouldnt use it, since excadrill can be used as a revenge killer too.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Blog Entries

Follow Haxie-kun on Tumblr

I read earlier about dusknoir.
    Is he going to be one of these stars? I'd like to see a new moveset for him actually.
    http://fav.me/d4nfczm (my DV art)http://zombie-haxie-chantumblr.com/ follow me!~Feel free to chat with me~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sandwichh View Post
    Is he going to be one of these stars? I'd like to see a new moveset for him actually.
    I doubt it because Dusclops outclasses Dusknoir using Eviolite.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmner View Post
    Stoutland can always land OHKO's on the main Dragons really well using Return. I'm LOing my Stoutland now, seeing how it works.
    I have trouble believing this, could you use some Calcs? The fact that it has to run Fire Fang for Steel types leads to it having some trouble against certain Steel Types.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Is it really OHKO? With Ice Fang...maybe, but Return, it's doubtful.

Made by Blue Dragon!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sandwichh View Post
    Dusknoir is pretty much a generic defensive ghost type with a limited movepool. Neither Dusknoir nor Dusclops will be a star in OU, but Dusclops will probably become pretty popular in UU amongst stall teams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    I doubt it because Dusclops outclasses Dusknoir using Eviolite.
    Not completely true, since Dusknoir has a higher Attack stat that it can actually use. Similar reasons for choosing Blissey over Chansey, since Blissey does better using moves like Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

"Welcome, my comrades, to my frozen abyss.~"
    Anime Characters Claimed: Mighty, Shirobon, Shout (Bomberman Jetters)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiramu Kuromu View Post
    Not completely true, since Dusknoir has a higher Attack stat that it can actually use. Similar reasons for choosing Blissey over Chansey, since Blissey does better using moves like Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.
    Still, Dusclops and Chansey's main purposes are as walls, not as attackers. The Evolite boost makes their pre evos more adept at this.
    Of course, I'm not denying that I love baiting a Scizor with Blissey and using Flamethrower....but still...

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Angad I'll get to those Calc's when I'm not as busy. But it can be done with some Rocks damage.
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

I think one of the biggest stars is Ferrothorn. This Grass/Steel-type is currently the most used Pokemon in OU, being on more than 20% of all OU teams. The thing has massive Defense, good Sp. Defense, and usable Attack, and it certainly has a lot of usable moves: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, and more. Power Whip is naturally powerful, what with STAB raising its power to 180. With Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn's abysmal Speed is actually a blessing. Stealth Rock and Spikes are standard entry hazards that can really hurt switchins. Thunder Wave sets up some dangerous foes for a teammate to sweep, and Leech Seed allows it to heal itself. Really, the only moves it misses out on are Rapid Spin and a reliable healing move not named Rest. Iron Barbs is its ability, and with it, the iron durian's painful to use contact moves on; the Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet combo is quite common. The big clincher here is its typing, which gives it a handful of resistences (Normal, Ghost, Poison [immune], Rock, Steel, Water, Grass [double], Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark) and only two weaknesses: Fire (double) and Fighting. It partners well with a special wall named Jellicent; the JelliThorn combo (as I call it) is common and quite dependable.

In fact, why not talk about Jellicent? It's a Water/Ghost-type with great Sp. Defense and HP, as well as usable Sp. Attack and Defense. Both of its normal abilities (Water Absorb and Cursed Body) are useful. Again, you see a slew of useful moves: Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Taunt, Shadow Ball, and more. Scald is a reliable Water move that has a 30% chance of burning the foe. Of course, if you want to be more sure about the burn, Will-O-Wisp is always an option. Recover is a fantastic recovery move, as it and its relatives have proven. Taunt is somewhat useful, particularly against Conkeldurr and Reuniclus, among others. Shaodw Ball is a dependable second STAB. Once again, the typing really helps it out; although it has more weaknesses than Ferro (Ghost, Grass, Electric, Dark), its resistences (Normal [immune], Fighting [immune], Bug, Poison, Steel, Fire, Water [immune with Water Absorb, resistent otherwise], Ice) simply cannot be ignored.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SharKing View Post
    I think one of the biggest stars is Ferrothorn. This Grass/Steel-type is currently the most used Pokemon in OU, being on more than 20% of all OU teams. The thing has massive Defense, good Sp. Defense, and usable Attack, and it certainly has a lot of usable moves: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, and more. Power Whip is naturally powerful, what with STAB raising its power to 180. With Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn's abysmal Speed is actually a blessing. Stealth Rock and Spikes are standard entry hazards that can really hurt switchins. Thunder Wave sets up some dangerous foes for a teammate to sweep, and Leech Seed allows it to heal itself. Really, the only moves it misses out on are Rapid Spin and a reliable healing move not named Rest. Iron Barbs is its ability, and with it, the iron durian's painful to use contact moves on; the Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet combo is quite common. The big clincher here is its typing, which gives it a handful of resistences (Normal, Ghost, Poison [immune], Rock, Steel, Water, Grass [double], Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark) and only two weaknesses: Fire (double) and Fighting. It partners well with a special wall named Jellicent; the JelliThorn combo (as I call it) is common and quite dependable.

In fact, why not talk about Jellicent? It's a Water/Ghost-type with great Sp. Defense and HP, as well as usable Sp. Attack and Defense. Both of its normal abilities (Water Absorb and Cursed Body) are useful. Again, you see a slew of useful moves: Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Taunt, Shadow Ball, and more. Scald is a reliable Water move that has a 30% chance of burning the foe. Of course, if you want to be more sure about the burn, Will-O-Wisp is always an option. Recover is a fantastic recovery move, as it and its relatives have proven. Taunt is somewhat useful, particularly against Conkeldurr and Reuniclus, among others. Shaodw Ball is a dependable second STAB. Once again, the typing really helps it out; although it has more weaknesses than Ferro (Ghost, Grass, Electric, Dark), its resistences (Normal [immune], Fighting [immune], Bug, Poison, Steel, Fire, Water [immune with Water Absorb, resistent otherwise], Ice) simply cannot be ignored.
    I agree with what you said about Ferrothorn.

Jellicent isn't that useful, as it walls but doesn't accomplish much. It deters momentum.

Much love to Zurr

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

jellicent is a weaker vaporeon with the ability to spin block and an extra immunity (but weaknesses to Dark and ghost). For stall its better, but for balanced vapo is better.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Conkeldurr, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Zoroark, and Chandelure are stars. Well, I'm not too sure about Chandelure yet. Anyway, Conkeldurr's doozy Mach Punch and Drain Punch are, well, doozies. Whimsicott has that mischievous little ability. Scrafty has fantastic offensive and defensive typing for a dragon, a great defensive ability, augmented stats, and is, as mentioned, a dragon. Zoroark's abilty will always have potential, and Zoroark has a sweeper's build to boot.

Chandelure has great typing this gen, it seems. The only pokemon mentioned in this thread earlier that can give him alot of trouble is Excadrill.

Haxorus will be a star eventually, I think. Rivalry can act as a Choice Band in addition to it or in absence of it, whereas Mold Breaker allows Earthquake to strike through Levitate pokemon.

And I think I wrapped up the rest of Gen. V's immediate stars. I think Darmanitan is a bit short of starpower, but he's pretty useable.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast