Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post) - Page 67
Page 67 of 214 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3206

Thread: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

  1. #991

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Von Hertzon View Post
    How do I calculate boosts from abilities, items and weather conditions?

    For rain would I find half of the pokemon's attack/sp. atk stat and add it to its attack/sp. atk stat for when its using a water move. For example kingdra, should it be using a water move, be backed by a 475.5 base attack/sp. atk stat because its max in each area is 317, divide it by two (158.5) and add it to 317 and you'll get 475.5. Is this correct?

    Is this method the same for abilities and items?

    how much is a stage boost/subtraction?
    That's close enough (although only integers are considered in the actual damage formula, there are more things to deal with too, and you'll only be off by a little). However, the standard in competitive battle is to multiply the move power in weather, since it only applies to certain moves and not every move. For example, an unSTABd Surf would be 142.5 power instead of 95 power in the rain.

    You can do the same for abilities and items. However, remember the standard. Multiply the stat if it affects everything from that stat; multiply the move power if it does not. This method makes a lot more sense.

    A stage boost is stat*(number+2)/2 when stage is positive or zero. A subtraction is stat*2/(number+2) when the stage is negative or zero.
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

  2. #992
    Pokebreeder in training Anthony Von Hertzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pokemon Daycare
    Posts
    516
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesus Is Lord View Post
    That's close enough (although only integers are considered in the actual damage formula, there are more things to deal with too, and you'll only be off by a little). However, the standard in competitive battle is to multiply the move power in weather, since it only applies to certain moves and not every move. For example, an unSTABd Surf would be 142.5 power instead of 95 power in the rain.

    You can do the same for abilities and items. However, remember the standard. Multiply the stat if it affects everything from that stat; multiply the move power if it does not. This method makes a lot more sense.

    A stage boost is stat*(number+2)/2 when stage is positive or zero. A subtraction is stat*2/(number+2) when the stage is negative or zero.
    Ok so lets say if kingdra used dragon dance and I wanted to know what his speed is with the boost (kingdra isn't in the rain) then I would do this, with the knowledge that it has max speed:

    295*(1+2)/2=442.5 (442 since only integers matter)

    However, is the number part of the formula how many times the stage was increased or subtracted?

    Click the Userbars!

  3. #993
    Now with more cowbell. Axle Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Maryland (GMT-5)
    Posts
    1,683
    Follow Axle Helios On Twitter
    Follow Axle Helios on Tumblr Visit Axle Helios's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    It's actually 443, it's always rounded up.
    I got my claims down on Quagsire, Miror B, Roar and Sand Stream.
    Winner of Burned Planet Mafia and Plants vs Zombies Mafia.

  4. #994
    Pokebreeder in training Anthony Von Hertzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pokemon Daycare
    Posts
    516
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Axle Helios View Post
    It's actually 443, it's always rounded up.
    So, then the Number in the formula means the stage boost/subtraction amount. :) ty!

    Click the Userbars!

  5. #995

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Von Hertzon View Post
    Ok so lets say if kingdra used dragon dance and I wanted to know what his speed is with the boost (kingdra isn't in the rain) then I would do this, with the knowledge that it has max speed:

    295*(1+2)/2=442.5 (442 since only integers matter)

    However, is the number part of the formula how many times the stage was increased or subtracted?
    Yes, the 'number' thing is the absolute value of the stage. So you would still put 1 in for a -1 stat, you would just put it in the other formula.

    Quote Originally Posted by Axle Helios View Post
    It's actually 443, it's always rounded up.
    Integer division means it's always floored. So it would be 442. You can check that here.
    If 50 Cent had been STAB'd instead of shot, he would be 75 Cent.

  6. #996

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    I have two questions.
    1. You send out Aggron, you're opponent sends out Typhlosion. Your Aggron uses Substitute, you're opponent switches to Flygon. You're opopnent's Flygon uses Earthquake, it hits the substitute (not sure if it breaks, haven't done the calculations), your Aggron uses Avalanche. Will Aggron's Avalanche do double the damage because Flygon attacked it? Or will it not because technically hit the substitute?

    2. How much damage will this Meganium's Grass Knot be able to do to a Mamoswine with this EV spread?


    Meganium-Leftovers
    Bold (Def+,Atk-)
    216 HP/148 Def/144 SpA

  7. #997
    organ repo man Kex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    way down in hadestown
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't come across an easy answer in my team-building research(and yes, it was kind of prompted by the post above mine; I'm not arguing or anything, I just have a question!)

    How does one decide when not to put all possible EVs into a stat? If for some reason you don't want to do a 252/252/4 spread, I mean, and I see a whole lot of more complicated EV spreads. How do you decide when one more point in Speed or Sp. Def is really important enough to take that point from somewhere else? Or when a stat is important, but not important enough to put the full 252 in?

    I hope I'm making sense; it's been something I haven't really been able to figure out on my own. Or maybe it's right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it; that's happened before, too. ^^;
    -you're scratching out memories-
    -you're burning old stories-

  8. #998

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't come across an easy answer in my team-building research(and yes, it was kind of prompted by the post above mine; I'm not arguing or anything, I just have a question!)

    How does one decide when not to put all possible EVs into a stat? If for some reason you don't want to do a 252/252/4 spread, I mean, and I see a whole lot of more complicated EV spreads. How do you decide when one more point in Speed or Sp. Def is really important enough to take that point from somewhere else? Or when a stat is important, but not important enough to put the full 252 in?

    I hope I'm making sense; it's been something I haven't really been able to figure out on my own. Or maybe it's right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it; that's happened before, too. ^^;
    Most people use a common set of pokemon because of their high base stats in certain areas. These pokemon are generally the ones in the OU tier, and the most commonly used pokemon in the OU tier. So, basically you look at a damage calculator:

    http://www.smogon.com/calc/

    And then, say you're ev training your metagross to outspeed choice band tyranitars. (Both commonly used OU pokemon). You would EV train for just enough speed to beat out the tyranitar. You would see how many threats you need to counter and calculate each, and see what is worthwhile. Also, people plug in defense/spdefense/hp so that they live consistently for a 3HKO or 2HKO. For example, if you were to try to survive a CB tyranitar's Equake on a metagross, you would calculate enough defense/hp to survive the earthquake by as low of an hp you can get (1% left), so that you can counter with your own move. As such, you would put in enough attack EVs to OHKO certain threats.

    Basically, it's just based on countering common pokemon with your own common pokemon. Another example, is some people put 12 speed evs on machamp to outspeed other machamps, and other people put 16 speed evs on machamp to outspeed 12 speed ev machamps.
    Of course, this assumes all flawless stats.

  9. #999
    organ repo man Kex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    way down in hadestown
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Relictus View Post
    Helpful things!
    That makes a lot of sense; thanks so much! This is why I love Pokémon; there's so much depth to it. I'll do some more research; thanks again. :)

    *abuses semicolons*
    Last edited by Kex; 5th June 2010 at 10:43 PM.
    -you're scratching out memories-
    -you're burning old stories-

  10. #1000
    now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    1000th post in the thread. Awesome!

    2. How much damage will this Meganium's Grass Knot be able to do to a Mamoswine with this EV spread?


    Meganium-Leftovers
    Bold (Def+,Atk-)
    216 HP/148 Def/144 SpA
    depends on the mamo's nature, ivs, and evs. Assuming a standard CB mamo, it does 108.6% - 128.5%. Mixed mamo gets hit with 121.9% - 143.5%
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

    Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

  11. #1001

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    1000th post in the thread. Awesome! Depends on the mamo's nature, ivs, and evs. Assuming a standard CB mamo, it does 108.6% - 128.5%. Mixed mamo gets hit with 121.9% - 143.5%
    Thank you! Any ideas on my other question?

  12. #1002
    Rocking the Lucario Thundagere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,732
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    OK, new question. Which would you say is better, Scizor or Metagross? As mentioned somewhere else, Metagross usually uses Agility then gives out a Strong Atack, wheras Scizor Swords Dances then gives out a fast attack.
    I like Metagross better. It's movepool just seems more diverse to me, and I tested both on Shoddy. Metagross swept every time.
    What would you say, and why?

    Made by Blue Dragon!

  13. #1003

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Prime View Post
    OK, new question. Which would you say is better, Scizor or Metagross? As mentioned somewhere else, Metagross usually uses Agility then gives out a Strong Atack, wheras Scizor Swords Dances then gives out a fast attack.
    I like Metagross better. It's movepool just seems more diverse to me, and I tested both on Shoddy. Metagross swept every time.
    What would you say, and why?
    When it comes to battling the opponents Pokemon, Metagross has Scizor beat. It just has so much more to it than Scizor, the obvious example would be that it can actually pull off a mixed attacking moveset. Also, Metagross can make a great lead with Stealth Rock. But, Scizor is no slouch, by anymeans. Scizor is used, more often than not, to aid it's team while doing damage to the opponent. It shares Agility with Metagross, but Scizor is able to pass that & Swords Dance on to it's teammates. Not to mention it has no Ground weakness, making Earthquake less scary. Overall, if you want attacking power, choose Metagross. If you want a team player, go with Scizor.

  14. #1004
    Are you a boy or a girl? F-22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The lab
    Posts
    2,076
    Blog Entries
    62

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    While imo they're apples and oranges in relation to their use in the current metagame, Scizor. It's #1 in OU for a reason. You have SD to boost your attack, CB U-turn to scout enemies, and the magic Technician Bullet Punch that changed the face of the metagame to pick off weak opponents. Its usefulness is unparalleled, though its movepool is sparse.

    I really see Metagross as more of a supporter than something to actually sweep, between options like double screens, Trick, and Stealth Rock.

    And honestly, if you want to pick one for sweeping, it's up to your own personal preference, but I'd just use Scizor since it can help get you out of any bad jam quickly. There's really no better one because both have good qualities to them and are an excellent choice for any offensive team.

    Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

    Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

  15. #1005
    organ repo man Kex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    way down in hadestown
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

    I have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorite threads.

    Is Explosion common enough to have an Explosion-sponge(I was thinking Dusknoir) on a standard team?
    -you're scratching out memories-
    -you're burning old stories-

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •