Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post) - Page 64
Page 64 of 211 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Blog Entries

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for BST! (Read First Pos

I have a question This is more related to the B&ST- to the mods, can I post a Warstory about this tournament I entered in 2004 of which I found some videos on my comp and thus reviving my memories?

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for BST! (Read First Pos

Quote Originally Posted by Clapton View Post
    Hi guys! From RMT to BST!

After much deliberation, it was decided that this section would fit much more within the Battle Center than the Video Game section, as it pertained to battling.

What are the updates, you might be asking yourself?

Well, simply put, we are expanding the content allowed in here. Formerly only RMT's, now this section covers warstories and general meta discussion.

Meaning, If you've got a great new team that needs work, post it here!

Had a great battle you'd like to share? Post it here!

Want to discuss the newest UU pokemon? Here's the place to do so!

The only thing I ask is that warstories be marked so in the title, and RMT's be marked RMT in the title.

I do ask that comments remain constructive.

This is not a place to ask for battles. Please post that in the correct section.

Questions? Comments?

Thanks,
    -DCM and the Battle Strategy & Tactics crew
    so I'm pretty sure its yes. Also, I didnt know you played back in '04 badal, you were like 7 then.
    Last edited by coolking503; 24th May 2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: bolding
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolking503 View Post
    so I'm pretty sure its yes. Also, I didnt know you played back in '04 badal, you were like 7 then.
    Thanks for the clarification
    *feels stupid for not reading*

Yes, I just liked the games and when I was in Japan, I was @ you know what? Just read the story when I post it.

Again, thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Does anyone have a god OU lead set for nidoking or nidoqueen?
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by coolking503 View Post
    Does anyone have a god OU lead set for nidoking or nidoqueen?
    I haven't really seen any, as it is a pretty obscure choice. You will have to get a little creative. To me Nidoking could try an anti-lead set, but it would take a lot of prediction since I believe his only priority move is Sucker Punch. See how it matches up because you could run moves that hit nearly any other lead Super Effective due to his great movepool.

Nidoqueen's set would be similar to Swampert, probably. EV in HP and Defense and just do something Swampert like.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

Blog Entries

THe reason I picked those two is because I've been playing around with a new team, and I cant seem to find a match with resistances matching up. My core of 4 pokemon worked really well but the last two (my lead and one more) are shaky. It turns out gyarados and a ground/poison type has really good synergy with the other 4 pokemon, but gyarados isnt much of a lead. Since both nido's (I think) learn SR and t-spikes, I figured at least one might be a viable OU lead.

Anyways, I've been messing around with the ev spread, and 252 HP and 16 SpD and impish allows nidoqueen to always survive azelf physchic (max 99.7% damage), and no speed evs are needed to out speed standard metagross (you fall 1 point short of heatran with a +speed nature) Now I have to figure out where to put the rest of the evs, since nidoqueen cant attack much, but EQ comes in handy alot. It cant KO heatran with it though even with max attack, and metagross the same. Your main priority would be azelf and aerodactyl. I'm thinking SR, EQ/earth power, roar/shadow claw/dark pulse, and protect/t-spikes/roar. Thoughts?

If anyone knows a gyarados lead set that works, that works too, btw, but I dont think thats very viable.

edit: thanks alot troggy. I'll test both out.
    Last edited by coolking503; 26th May 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Sounds like a pretty good start, but I think your matchup against Azelf will come down to prediction and the type of player you are facing. Based on the Smogon damage calculator (not sure if it is always accurate, but probably a good starting point), it will take 32 SpA EVs and a Bold nature to guarantee a 2HKO on Azelf with Dark Pulse (50.2%-59.1%). If it goes Taunt/Psychic and you Dark Pulse twice, I guess it ends in a draw with no Stealth Rock, but that's probably your best case scenario. You might want to check on Explosion's damage in case it does Stealth Rock / Explosion or various other combinations of moves.

For Aerodactyl, you are lost if you use Dark Pulse since it will not come close to a 2HKO. If you use Ice Beam instead, you can guarantee a 2HKO with 80 SpA EVs and a Bold nature (50.3%-59.6%). To me you have to pick your poison, as running both Ice Beam and Dark Pulse wastes her potential provided you don't let her die immediately.

Metagross isn't terribly worrysome, so you are free to Stealth Rock and try to attack it with Earth Power. Heatran will be pretty unpredictable since it is always a danger to flee or explode against a Ground type. However, you can be pretty sure it will Stealth Rock first if it has Shuca Berry, so you can just strategize after that.

Swampert leads would be a draw as far as I can tell. It is a mirror match where you are likely to have more defense and they are likely to have more attack. Wouldn't worry too much there, although watch out for Ice Beams or people who attack straight away.

Bronzong would be a draw also, as you can't damage it signficantly unless you use Fire Blast and more SpA EVs. That's not worth it anyway, best to just get your Stealth Rock set up and go from there.

I guess what I have created here is a Swampert-like set of:

Nidoqueen @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Poison Point
    252 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpA / 16 SpD or 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpA
    ~Earth Power
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Roar / Toxic / Toxic Spikes / etc

Sad part of the Anti-Azelf spread is you are 8 EVs from the Def jump point, but if you really need the 16 SpD to check Psychic, then so be it. The Anti-Aerodactyl spread actually came out pretty clean looking. Just a coincidence.

To somewhat address your Gyarados question, he was at one time one of the most prominant leads. I wasn't really playing during that time, but with great moves like Taunt and Thunder Wave plus a great typing and stat distribution, I don't see why he wouldn't work well against many leads.

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I need a good set for Absol.

Quote Originally Posted by Poké-Ranger Mike View Post
    Absol @ You
    Need to
    6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~Give us
    ~Some more
    ~Details or
    ~Check Smogon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poké-Ranger Mike View Post
    my absol has:
    252 attack 252 speed 4 hp
    sucker punch
    psycho cut
    superpower
    swords dance

tbh absol's not that good, one hit from anything smacks it down. and i always thought absol was good until i wi-fi battled with mine :/

EDIT: yeah mine's from smogon :P

EDIT NUMBER 2:
    btw, i have my own question, does a sandstorm team need to necessarily have a lead that starts a sandstorm such as hippowdon/tyranitar, or any that learn it. or is it ok to start without it?
    Last edited by Yadon; 26th May 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Blog Entries

It really depends on whether your team is offensive or stallish. Either way, while it's not a requirement that you lead with them, I strongly recommend you get them out as soon as possible to rack up residual damage on the opponent's team. It's far more important for the latter than the former playstyle, however, so as long as you can effectively get SS up as soon as possible, it's not a big deal if you don't lead with them.

P.S. Tyranitar/Hippo, however, are pretty much required. Don't waste a teamslot or a moveslot on something that sets up SS manually. Auto-weather is far more powerful and you don't have to waste a turn every few turns to get it back up. I noticed you said "any that learn it"....there really is no substitute for either of them. As a suggestion, Hippo is more appropriate for a stall team, while Tar is for general usage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F-22 View Post
    It really depends on whether your team is offensive or stallish. Either way, while it's not a requirement that you lead with them, I strongly recommend you get them out as soon as possible to rack up residual damage on the opponent's team. It's far more important for the latter than the former playstyle, however, so as long as you can effectively get SS up as soon as possible, it's not a big deal if you don't lead with them.

P.S. Tyranitar/Hippo, however, are pretty much required. Don't waste a teamslot or a moveslot on something that sets up SS manually. Auto-weather is far more powerful and you don't have to waste a turn every few turns to get it back up. I noticed you said "any that learn it"....there really is no substitute for either of them. As a suggestion, Hippo is more appropriate for a stall team, while Tar is for general usage.
    thanks, and yeah i just meant in lower tiers as tyranitar and hippowdon are OU, although i doubt a good sandstorm team would be decent enough in UU/NU, but i'm new so i'm not sure about that. :P

Blog Entries

Hippo Jr is legal and enjoys decent popularity in the lower tiers. You should lead with it, however, as its stats are too poor to do anything else.

Blog Entries

i think i'll try for an OU one then. hippowdon is more appealing to me than it's pre-evolved. :)

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I'm using the Swords Dance set for Absol from Smogon. One difference is that i gave Scope Lens as a hold item instead of Life Orb since I hate recoil damage. Along with Super Luck, its critical hit rate of its moves to 50%. Is it stupidity to do this or is it worth a try?