Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post) - Page 59

Page 59 of 182 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for BST! (Read First Pos

So we all know Exp Share gives EVs as if the Pokemon had been in battle, that's fine.

But what happens if I lead with a Pokemon with Exp Share? Do I then get double the EVs, one set for being in battle and another for Exp Share? Or does it "stop counting"? I know that leading with a Pokemon with Exp Share will make it gain experience faster, which I like for faster leveling. (I'm training a Battle Tower team so I'd like to get to 510 EVs and L50 as soon as I can!)
    Pearl:

HeartGold:

Credit to aitherion @ Livejournal

Blog Entries

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for BST! (Read First Pos

No leading with EXP share will not give you double.

I have a level 33 Poliwhirl. Should I evolve it into a politoed or a poliwrath, also at what level should I do this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzuru View Post
    I have a level 33 Poliwhirl. Should I evolve it into a politoed or a poliwrath, also at what level should I do this?
    Um if you want a bulky physical sweeper go with Poliwrath. (Bulk Up/Waterfall/Focus Punch etc)
    If you want a specially bulky stall Pokemon go with Politoed. (Surf/Toxic/Ice Beam/Hypnosis etc)

As for the level I'm not sure.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Pokebreeder in training Anthony Von Hertzon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kawatan View Post
    So we all know Exp Share gives EVs as if the Pokemon had been in battle, that's fine.

But what happens if I lead with a Pokemon with Exp Share? Do I then get double the EVs, one set for being in battle and another for Exp Share? Or does it "stop counting"? I know that leading with a Pokemon with Exp Share will make it gain experience faster, which I like for faster leveling. (I'm training a Battle Tower team so I'd like to get to 510 EVs and L50 as soon as I can!)
    The fastest way to get EVs is to put a power item of the stat EVs you want and then have that pokemon battle the pokemon that gives that EV. This works especially well with pokerus.

Lets say you want speed EVs. The power item for speed is a power anklet (I'm pretty sure). So if you were giving infernape speed EVs you would probably do something like this:

Infect Infernape with pokerus
    Register the old rod
    go to a place with water (lake verity or something)
    Make sure infernape is holding the power anklet
    Pown magikarp

You would be getting 10 speed EVs a battle.

why?

Well Magikarp gives off 1 speed EV and the power item gives you four more speed EVs

1+4=5

Then you take that five and have it doubled by pokerus.

5*2=10

That's the most efficient way to gain EVs. So if you were trying to get infernape to 252 speed EVs the best thing would be to:

Give it 10 carbos=100 speed EVs
    battle 15 magikarp using the method listed above
    and then battle 1 more magikarp with out any items and you'll get 252. Its really easy! Especially if the magikarp are biting. When they're not, it kinda takes a while.

Click the Userbars!

Rev
    Blog Entries

I accidentally deleted Whirlwind off of my Skarmory... What disadvantage would there be to using Roar instead?
    White~1248 9177 2603~White
    Platinum~0604 5276 0111~Platinum

~My RNG babies and captures~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    I accidentally deleted Whirlwind off of my Skarmory... What disadvantage would there be to using Roar instead?
    Soundproof Blocks Roar, other than that, it's good.

Much love to Zurr

Rev
    Blog Entries

Ahh, ok, I don't think I will be running into the pokemon with Soundproof, so that's great :D. Thanks.
    White~1248 9177 2603~White
    Platinum~0604 5276 0111~Platinum

~My RNG babies and captures~

I have been considering trying my hand at competitive battling but I have a question about it first.

How many people on Wi-Fi are serious battlers? I'm talking about people like here who plan out their teams in detail and put a lot of effort into it. I'm curious on how many people don't put work into IVs/EVs and natures.

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

most people who join tournaments and who post int the battle strategy and tactics forum are competitive, along with most battlers period. Some dont worry about ivs so much (I used to not care, now I've started to care a bit more), but you should definetly get into it since it will help you win for sure against those who dont care for evs, and have a lot better chance of not losing against people who do.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Hyper Satellite Cannon! Bishie Karis-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Bishie Karis-chan's Youtube Channel

Okay, so a while back I got the event Jirachi from Gamestop, and I was planning on raising it. This is the set I have planned (I can't change the Nature, I saved after I got it ):

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Calm
    12SpA/240HP/128Def/128SpD
    - Wish
    - Gravity
    - Psychic
    - Thunder
    The idea here is a special tanking set. Gravity on the switch, Psychic for STAB and Gengar, Gravity-accurized Thunder because Gyarados MUST DIE, and Wish for, well, tanking.

So, should I change anything?
    Last edited by Bishie Karis-chan; 4th May 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is there any point of using HP Ground on a Bold Suicune?
    It will be used primarily in the Battle Tower and maybe some of the other battle facilities, so "the surprise factor" ain't really anything to think of :P

I don't have any plan for how to use it yet, so you might as well come whit other suggestions for it.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.

Thank you for the answer, coolking503.

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by HypersonicYanmega View Post
    Okay, so a while back I got the event Jirachi from Gamestop, and I was planning on raising it. This is the set I have planned (I can't change the Nature, I saved after I got it ):

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Calm
    12SpA/240HP/128Def/128SpD
    - Wish
    - Gravity
    - Psychic
    - Thunder
    The idea here is a special tanking set. Gravity on the switch, Psychic for STAB and Gengar, Gravity-accurized Thunder because Gyarados MUST DIE, and Wish for, well, tanking.

So, should I change anything?
    Gravity should really only be used on a ful blown gravity team, but I think jirachi is mostly used as a lead with this set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - U-turn
    - Gravity
    - Wish
    - Thunder

this is mostly so it can support other gravity sweepers and do some damage. Its used as a lead mostly.

Is there any point of using HP Ground on a Bold Suicune?
    It will be used primarily in the Battle Tower and maybe some of the other battle facilities, so "the surprise factor" ain't really anything to think of :P

I don't have any plan for how to use it yet, so you might as well come whit other suggestions for it.
    I think HP ground would hit electric types hard, which is good, however ground water isnt too ggood of a type combo, and you probably are better off with ice beam or HP electric (whihc I understand you cant get)
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolking503 View Post
    I think HP ground would hit electric types hard, which is good, however ground water isnt too ggood of a type combo, and you probably are better off with ice beam or HP electric (whihc I understand you cant get)
    I know but, Surf whit Stab is 142 so HP ground will be pretty useless even at electrics, Magneton being the exception. It could work for Empoleon, but I decided to team it whit a Garchomp so I'm not gonna use it after all. Thanks anyway.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.