Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post) - Page 54

Page 54 of 183 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Quote Originally Posted by lOnE-WolF View Post
    I'm at a loss here Troggy, I'm still learning the ropes for serious competitive battles - natures and movesets are as far as I've gotten. I'll get back to you on EV's

The Alakazam he's paired with has the following moveset
    -Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Reflect
    -Calm Mind

Edit: Ah crap, doing this analysis is hard. So unused to it, and my Machamp's Lv 28 already. Let me see...best I could say from the looks of it his spread leaning to HP followed by attack :|

Bah...this might be a no-go. Unless it can be worked backwards from the current stats, I think I have to breed a new one, huh?
    Unfortunately, I don't know hardly anything about double battling. I don't think that a lead pair of Bulk Up Machamp and that Zam would work out too well, though. From what I've seen, I get the feeling that set up moves that take several turns like Calm Mind and Bulk Up aren't the best choices for doubles play.

If you are planning on making a competitive team, you need to keep track of your EV points. EV'ing Machamp in HP and Attack is probably not a bad idea, but it is very useful to know exactly what EVs you have, and make sure you don't waste them. You don't have to breed a new one, you can erase its EVs with berries (e.g. Tamato, Qualot, etc...look them up if you aren't familiar with which EV they erase) and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by RegiRuler View Post
    Jirachi @ Apicot Berry
    Rash
    Hp 190/ Def 21/ SpAtk 255/ SpDef 20/ Speed 24
    Doom Desire
    Draco Meteor
    Rest/Wish
    Water Pulse (<- tell me whether it's worth it to teach it my only copy of that TM)

Notes: Has a 31 IV in SpAtk

Rate it please.
    Really, the highlight of that set is Water Pulse. I don't really understand the EV spread or choice of nature much. If you are trying to use a mixed attacker, wouldn't you want speed? If you are providing Wish support, wouldn't you use a Calm/Modest/Bold/Impish/Careful/etc type of nature? Your main attacks are very unreliable as Doom Desire takes time to hit, and Draco Meteor cuts your SpA in half when you use it. For a hit and run Jirachi, this just looks really confused.

Note that you have also wasted EV points. You need to stop at 252 and allocate the other 3 to a different stat. You could gain a stat point in Defense if you did 190 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 24 Speed. Beyond that, investing in a negative stat (Special Defense) is usually pointless. You could at least move those EVs to Speed or HP. For the 24 Defense, does that accomplish something specific? If not you could again move it to HP or Speed.

Maybe it would help if you explain what this Jirachi is trying to accomplish because it seems like a mess to me.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

Hai! That's my golfball! Gatr Golf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

I'll se what I can do about my Machamp then. You suggested screen support for the Alakazam, so I traded Calm Mind for Light Screen. Mayhaps use Alakazam's speed to put up the defensive screens and pepper the opposing team while Machamp sets up?

Hmm, if I get this Machamp right, I might use him as part of a competitive singles team too. Just need a Baton Passer...
    I have claimed: Cross Poison ~ Toxicroak ~ Drizzle ~ Water Stone

Thanks for the banner, Kamex!

Blog Entries
    Follow Avrig On Twitter
    Follow Avrig on Tumblr Visit Avrig's Youtube Channel

Is there any sense in putting EVs on Mamoswine's HP or defense stats? My current team isn't for standard OU play (it's a bit experimental and mixed), so I'm not sure if he needs maxed speed.

Quote Originally Posted by lOnE-WolF View Post
    I'll se what I can do about my Machamp then. You suggested screen support for the Alakazam, so I traded Calm Mind for Light Screen. Mayhaps use Alakazam's speed to put up the defensive screens and pepper the opposing team while Machamp sets up?

Hmm, if I get this Machamp right, I might use him as part of a competitive singles team too. Just need a Baton Passer...
    I think to use that strategy you should try a different Pokemon for screening. Alakazam is really frail, although fast. Try something that isn't quite as easy to destroy such as Latias or Uxie. Azelf would even be a better choice than Zam for the job, I believe.

That Machamp set is definitely useable in singles, it's probably better there than in doubles. I used it for a while on a team with pretty good success. I used Dual Screens to set it up.

Blog Entries

Y'know, I think I might've traded away all my Latias'. I'd have preffered her, but looks like I'll be using Azelf or Uxie.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Experimentation will wait. Can anyone suggest a good baton passer? I know everyone claims Smeargle is good for the job (and a few other roles, too) but I'd like to see if there are any alternatives possible. I was thinking Ninjask for the Speed Boost ability/Swords Dance combo, but he's rather frail type-wise.
    Last edited by Gatr Golf; 19th March 2010 at 03:32 PM.

For Baton Passers you could try one of these (some you already mentioned):

Smeargle, Jolteon, Zapdos, Gliscor, Ninjask, and Celebi

I don't think Baton Pass is very useful in doubles though, so I imagine this is for singles?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Troggy View Post
    Really, the highlight of that set is Water Pulse. I don't really understand the EV spread or choice of nature much. If you are trying to use a mixed attacker, wouldn't you want speed? If you are providing Wish support, wouldn't you use a Calm/Modest/Bold/Impish/Careful/etc type of nature? Your main attacks are very unreliable as Doom Desire takes time to hit, and Draco Meteor cuts your SpA in half when you use it. For a hit and run Jirachi, this just looks really confused.

Note that you have also wasted EV points. You need to stop at 252 and allocate the other 3 to a different stat. You could gain a stat point in Defense if you did 190 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 24 Speed. Beyond that, investing in a negative stat (Special Defense) is usually pointless. You could at least move those EVs to Speed or HP. For the 24 Defense, does that accomplish something specific? If not you could again move it to HP or Speed.

Maybe it would help if you explain what this Jirachi is trying to accomplish because it seems like a mess to me.
    1. Doom Desire uses sp. Attack at the time of use.
    2. I spread out the EVs left over from SpAtk and HP between Def, SpDef, and Speed so that it was more well rounded (but keep in mind that most of the EVs still are in HP and SpAtk)
    3. I know about the wasted EV points, but I was grinding late at night and I was unable to tell how many of the correct pokemon (i.e. Budew and Gastly) I fought and I decided to fight more than required, so that I wouldn't be under 252; meaning, i was playing it safe.
    4. I wasn't intending for it to provide Wish support to my other pokemon in the first place. I just need a healing move.
    5. Like I said, it had 31 IVs in SpAtk and a Rash nature. I rarely get that lucky, so I decided to not take chances and keep it.
    EDIT:
    6. I take that it's a good idea to keep water pulse. Really, I couldn't find any better move that it could learn and take out both Fire and Ground types.
    Last edited by Regiruler; 19th March 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Troggy View Post
    For Baton Passers you could try one of these (some you already mentioned):

Smeargle, Jolteon, Zapdos, Gliscor, Ninjask, and Celebi

I don't think Baton Pass is very useful in doubles though, so I imagine this is for singles?
    Correct.

Ah, so I could get away with using Ninjask. EV spread goes into Def/SpDef/Speed, and a nature that benefits speed stat?

Blog Entries
    Add Meguroco on Facebook
    Follow Meguroco on Tumblr

How do egg moves work in pokemon heart gold?

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SAme as they work in any other game. A male parent with the egg move, a female with the species, gets you the female's species with the egg move
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

1. Doom Desire uses sp. Attack at the time of use.
    2. I spread out the EVs left over from SpAtk and HP between Def, SpDef, and Speed so that it was more well rounded (but keep in mind that most of the EVs still are in HP and SpAtk)
    3. I know about the wasted EV points, but I was grinding late at night and I was unable to tell how many of the correct pokemon (i.e. Budew and Gastly) I fought and I decided to fight more than required, so that I wouldn't be under 252; meaning, i was playing it safe.
    4. I wasn't intending for it to provide Wish support to my other pokemon in the first place. I just need a healing move.
    5. Like I said, it had 31 IVs in SpAtk and a Rash nature. I rarely get that lucky, so I decided to not take chances and keep it.
    EDIT:
    6. I take that it's a good idea to keep water pulse. Really, I couldn't find any better move that it could learn and take out both Fire and Ground types.
    lol, if you like it the way it is why did you ask for comments?

Blog Entries

^I really only wanted comments on whether or not to teach it my only copy of water pulse (you can only get it once).

^I really only wanted comments on whether or not to teach it my only copy of water pulse (you can only get it once).
    Aha. Well you could always trade for another copy :p

It's not a bad choice coverage wise (Dragon + Water is only resisted by a few Pokemon), just somewhat of a letdown as far as the base power. It does hit Heatran, though.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Alright, I read the thing about EVs linked to on the 1st post, but I STILL DONT GET IT!!! HELP!!! I want to hopefuly do that Battle Road thingy with my HeartGold team, but I wanted to know about good EV training first. My Planned Team:

Feraligatr
    Lucario
    Gallade
    Charizard
    Umbreon
    Absol

I don't know the movsets yet, all but Totodile are in eggs, and...i dont have the game yet.

EDIT: I found a new source of info, so I get EVs now. Yay for understanding things!
    Last edited by LockmanCapulet; 28th March 2010 at 07:20 AM.

I want to start gaming competitively. And i have a team that i would like to use. 1 question: would i post this team and ask for advice in the "In-game team" thread (already done with little advice), or should i start a new thread for that?

the other question: should I start with a new team? or just keep the team i have?