Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post) - Page 22

Page 22 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Jr. Trainer

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Quote Originally Posted by jimiintheskywithdiamonds View Post

gengar
    black sludge

trick
    shadow ball
    sludge bomb
    thunderbolt
    Trick w/ Black Sludge is intriguing. I think that in most situations, it would be more damaging to the opponent to deal an extra hit with Sludge Bomb rather than using the turn for Trick. But the Trick/Black Sludge combo could be useful in one specific situation: when the opponent is a longlasting poke (say, with a recovery move) that has an item Gengar can effectively use.

starmie
    life orb
    surf
    phsycic
    ice beam
    pshyc up
    Though Psych Up is always a decent move, there might be three difficulties with using it on this Starmie:

(i) Starmie won't make use of the At. advantage from Swords Dance,
    (ii) Starmie is already so fast that it doesn't really need the Spe. advantage, and
    (iii) Life Orb generally increases the utility of damage-dealing moves (viz., Thunderbolt) over stat.-altering moves.

Then again, Starmie's versatility means it can put defensive and evasive state boosts to good use.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Murr...Tina...no offense, but I think you were slightly off with your answer to me. I've been resetting for an Eevee egg, but though the IVs have changed, the nature's been the same all 3 times.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

Hm.. thinking about it, I think it's only the IVs that are set when you talk to the daycare man. XD;;;

Sorry for misleading you. D:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    Hm.. thinking about it, I think it's only the IVs that are set when you talk to the daycare man. XD;;;

Sorry for misleading you. D:
    Yeah, all 3 times it was Naughty, but then it was "Somewhat Vain," "Often Dozes Off," and then "Somewhat Vain" again, so the IVs do change. Don't worry about it

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

You gave me some very cool ideas rlawtondavis. Thanks a lot.
    "We humans can never escape gravity's pull on the ground. But by striving for excellence, we have the power to soar! You have scaled the pinnacles as the reigning Champion. Please, allow me to see your power at full flight!"

Winona - Fortree Gym Leader

Off-topic but - I just noticed something, after I collected my egg once I immediately talked to the old men again and he said my 2 pokemon dislike each other.. -_-|| And I was like, if they disliked each other how did they breed an egg then?

Blog Entries

...this isn't a discussion thread where you talk about breeding, this is a question thread where you post questions.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm back -- this time with a more specific breeding question.

I have a Luxray with 30 Sp. Atack IVs, and a Shellos with 31 Speed IVs. I want to get those IVs onto an Eevee. I know Luxray can breed with Eevee, and I have a few Eevees produced that way. I also know that Bidoof can breed with Shellos, Eevee, and Luxray. However, when I tried breeding some of my Bidoof with my Luxray or Shellos, those IVs weren't always on par with the EVs from the parents.

My latest Bidoof, bred from my Luxray, has these IVs: 0 - 29 / 10 - 29 / 0 - 19 / 14, 19, 24, 29 / 0 - 19 / 0 - 29

The Bidoof before that, bred from the son of my Shellos, has these IVs: 0 - 1 / 10 - 23 / 6 - 19 / 14 - 23 / 6 - 19 / 23

What's going on? I know the IVs of the Bidoof I used to breed weren't stellar, but I thought those would be replaced by the IVs from the other parent -- instead, while they're still higher than the parent Bidoof's, they're lower than the parent Luxray/Shellos. Can anyone help me out?

Oh, by the way...my 31 Speed IV Shellos is female, so I bred it to get a male, but the same thing happened -- the male that hatched had good Speed IVs, but not the same as the mother's. My Luxray is male, and the only female Eevee I have has these IVs: Timid #133 Eevee: 29 - 30 / 21 - 24 / 12 - 14 / 0 - 2 / 31 / 10 - 12 (HP Fire)

Blog Entries

Can anyone suggest a move to round out this Heatran set?

Buckethead (Heatran, M)
    Flash Fire
    Timid

Lava Plume
    Earth Power
    Explosion
    Hidden Power (Dragon) <- I'm looking to replace this.

I looked up its moves. Here are my options from what I can see:
    Dragon Pulse (for more power)
    Dark Pulse (for a bit of coverage on things like Starmie)
    Flash Cannon (for STAB)

I'm also contemplating changing Lava Plume for a different fire move. It's good enough as it is (decent base power and burn chance) but Flamethrower and Heat Wave are stronger. Failing that I could always gamble with Fire Blast, Overheat or Magma Storm. So yeah...
    no moar sig 4 u D=<

The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hey, very simple question

ice fang or ice punch? which is better?

Blog Entries

Ice Punch for sure. More power and still has the freeze effect.

DCM
    Blog Entries

hey, very simple question

ice fang or ice punch? which is better?
    depends on whom you ask. Ice punch had power. But ice Fang has flinch and freeze. It's your choice.
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, im teaching it to a very slow pokemon, so the flinch effect wont happen, so i think i'll go with ice punch, cheers :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edo-kun View Post
    Well, I'm back -- this time with a more specific breeding question.

I have a Luxray with 30 Sp. Atack IVs, and a Shellos with 31 Speed IVs. I want to get those IVs onto an Eevee. I know Luxray can breed with Eevee, and I have a few Eevees produced that way. I also know that Bidoof can breed with Shellos, Eevee, and Luxray. However, when I tried breeding some of my Bidoof with my Luxray or Shellos, those IVs weren't always on par with the EVs from the parents.

My latest Bidoof, bred from my Luxray, has these IVs: 0 - 29 / 10 - 29 / 0 - 19 / 14, 19, 24, 29 / 0 - 19 / 0 - 29

The Bidoof before that, bred from the son of my Shellos, has these IVs: 0 - 1 / 10 - 23 / 6 - 19 / 14 - 23 / 6 - 19 / 23

What's going on? I know the IVs of the Bidoof I used to breed weren't stellar, but I thought those would be replaced by the IVs from the other parent -- instead, while they're still higher than the parent Bidoof's, they're lower than the parent Luxray/Shellos. Can anyone help me out?

Oh, by the way...my 31 Speed IV Shellos is female, so I bred it to get a male, but the same thing happened -- the male that hatched had good Speed IVs, but not the same as the mother's. My Luxray is male, and the only female Eevee I have has these IVs: Timid #133 Eevee: 29 - 30 / 21 - 24 / 12 - 14 / 0 - 2 / 31 / 10 - 12 (HP Fire)
    Please? I'd really like some help with this. This is my first real attempt at IV breeding, and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edo-kun View Post
    Please? I'd really like some help with this. This is my first real attempt at IV breeding, and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.
    I'm finding it a little hard to follow your post, and I'm not sure *exactly* what you're asking, but as far as I can tell, you're not doing anything wrong, per se. I can tell you though, that the longer you try to make a breeding chain, the harder and more frustrating it will be to get an end result with the exact EVs you want. Seriously, even when I breed with two parents where each has one of the IVs I want to pass on to the baby, for a finished product, it takes FOREVER to get it on a baby that also has the right nature/ability. This is why people like to save in front of Daycare Man, so that they can reset for the IVs if the Pokemon has the right nature/ability. I find this to be extremely tedious and not much better than just hatching as many eggs as possible, though.

Really, my best advice would be to try to get the 30 special attack IV from your Luxray on to an Eevee (preferably female of the right nature, I'd imagine) and then just use that Eevee and try your luck for a good speed IV. You could, in that case, just try to catch or hatch any male Pokemon in the field group with an IV of 31 in speed and just breed that with your Eevee (like, if you can get the 31 from Shellos on to a male Bidoof). Still though, expect it to take a long time to be able to pass both those IVs on to a final product Eevee.

I suggest reading this article in depth, as it explains how IVs are calculated, and you can see why it may take so long before you get what you want.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/breeding_guide_part1#3A
    Diamond: Pogo, 0344-6412-9174
    Platinum: Pogo, 0989-7773-1927