Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post) - Page 164
Page 164 of 193 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2895

Thread: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Default Re: Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I was going to ask this question in that big argument/debate thread of bannings and Smogon and the like, but it was locked...so I'll ask it here. If a Pokemon becomes banned for being over-centralizing, why didn't the same thing happen to Stealth Rock? SR single-handedly over-centralized EVERYTHING about competitive battling. So much that Rapid Spin is considered a worthy move-slot, and Pokemon that are weak to SR are suddenly bottom-tier trash that gets laughed at, and EVERYTHING has to be prepared to set up AND fend off SR and other entry-hazard hazards.

It's mostly my own confusion that's making me ask this question, since it doesn't make sense that a Pokemon can be banned for over-centralization, but Stealth Rock gets a free pass. I'm not attacking anyone or anything; I'm just genuinely curious. D8;
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Blog Entries

Usually when something is banned, it's banned for over-centralising, yes, but also if it's deemed broken and makes the game unfair. I can see where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent, but it doesn't make a Pokemon trash necessarily. You can play strategically and use things like Magic Coat, Magic Bounce, Taunt, Rapid Spin among others to protect these Pokemon.

My only problem with it is that it takes one turn to set up, yet it can tear apart teams. But then again, the same can be said for something like Trick Room or even Drizzle/Snow Warning/Drought/Sandstream - to a certain extent, anyway. If it stacked like Spikes or did less to Pokemon 2x weak or 4x weak, they would have a better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    I was going to ask this question in that big argument/debate thread of bannings and Smogon and the like, but it was locked...so I'll ask it here. If a Pokemon becomes banned for being over-centralizing, why didn't the same thing happen to Stealth Rock? SR single-handedly over-centralized EVERYTHING about competitive battling. So much that Rapid Spin is considered a worthy move-slot, and Pokemon that are weak to SR are suddenly bottom-tier trash that gets laughed at, and EVERYTHING has to be prepared to set up AND fend off SR and other entry-hazard hazards.

It's mostly my own confusion that's making me ask this question, since it doesn't make sense that a Pokemon can be banned for over-centralization, but Stealth Rock gets a free pass. I'm not attacking anyone or anything; I'm just genuinely curious. D8;
    Well, SR isn't quite as centralizing as some people think it is (including me until recently). We've got Pokemon like Volcarona up in OU despite having a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock after all. Though many Smogon analysis pages go off the assumption SR will be present, from my experiences on PO I ran into more teams without it than I did with. I think Gen IV was when it was really centralizing, but now not so much.

On the flip side, I kept getting shredded by weather teams. Gen V really is the weather wars metagame.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Ooh I see... Ah, thanks for the answers, @Gym Leader Morty and @Saiga! I go to Smogon for team-building ideas, but a lot of them talk about Stealth Rock, and it's hard to put a team together for PBR and the like. 8D; I was like "augh SR everywhere eeeyah!" But seeing both of your answers...yeah! So it isn't ALWAYS as bad. I see! Really, thanks so much.

And I wish I could shred people with weather teams. 8D; I have 3 weather teams, and all 3 of them have blown up in my face.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

I'm making a LC team, but I don't understand the EVs for LC. Can someone help me with that?

I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx View Post
    I'm making a LC team, but I don't understand the EVs for LC. Can someone help me with that?
    Well, EV's are set up so that when the EV'd pokemon is at Level 100, it gains 1 stat point for every 4 EV's. This isn't the case at Level 5, as the stat's can only go so far. You have to put in EV's so they'll maximize the output where you want them to, but at the same time, no need to add extra EV's if no difference is made, where it can be invested in different stats.

Much love to Zurr

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx View Post
    Well, EV's are set up so that when the EV'd pokemon is at Level 100, it gains 1 stat point for every 4 EV's. This isn't the case at Level 5, as the stat's can only go so far. You have to put in EV's so they'll maximize the output where you want them to, but at the same time, no need to add extra EV's if no difference is made, where it can be invested in different stats.
    IIRC 16 evs make add one to the stats, but I'm not sure.
    @Shiny Shinx;

Tried these guides? Little Cup Article (D/P) - Smogon University
    The Little Cup EVing Manual - Smogon University
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries
    Add infernape96 on Facebook

Quick Question. Does grass knot or low kick get stronger the higher sp. attck or attck my pkmn has? For example my JOlteon has a sp. attck of 300(Yeah I know he cant learn either but its just an example) would that make grass knot stronger or will it always be the other pkmns weight that determines the damage?
    Heart Gold friend code: 5243 8342 6896

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by infernape96 View Post
    Quick Question. Does grass knot or low kick get stronger the higher sp. attck or attck my pkmn has? For example my JOlteon has a sp. attck of 300(Yeah I know he cant learn either but its just an example) would that make grass knot stronger or will it always be the other pkmns weight that determines the damage?
    Combination of the two, The Weight of the Foe determines base power of the move, (Light Foes cause GK to hit with the power of absorb, heavy foes cause it hit with the power of solar beam), and the Sp. Attack in GK's case would make it stronger or weaker. Grass Knot would be much weaker coming from Machamp as opposed to Alakazam.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Default Good movesets and ev training

I have this Meloetta and I don't know what moves to let her learn or how to ev train her!?

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

This question falls a bit between RMT and simple Q/A so I'm asking here just to be safe. I'll try to make the team description breif.

Rain team
    Politoed holding choice scarf:
    Standard issue drizzle poli. with mainly SP atk and Sp def EVs. very slow, can't even outspeed accelgor when holding choice scarf. powerful hydro pump (stab+rain boost) and able to take a zapdos thunder with just over half HP.

Accelgor holding focus sash:
    survivor. spamming protect/substitute until low HP or a sub survives. at low HP uses rest (hydration heals status) and surviving sub uses bug buzz.

porygon-z holding choice specs:
    adaptability hyper beam for singles and my Porygon-Z/accelgor strategy in doubles

Kingdra holding wide lens:
    swift swim/drizzle you know the drill blizzard for irritating dragons/flying types and ground types alike.

Toxicroak holding sludge:
    substitute, drain punch, dry skin, black sludge, rain.

Ferrothornintheside holding big root:
    ingrain prevents any irritating whirlwinds. leech seed, protect, power whip.

Now for the question:
    I want another strong attacker (kingdra is the only one that fits that description currently) specificly, a no guard, dynamicpunch machamp. Who do I replace on the team? I need politoed, I need to get rid of both accelgor and porygon-Z if I get rid of one. politoed starts the rain, toxicroak, kingdra, and ferrothorn all take advantage of the rain. What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    This question falls a bit between RMT and simple Q/A so I'm asking here just to be safe. I'll try to make the team description breif.

Rain team
    Politoed holding choice scarf:
    Standard issue drizzle poli. with mainly SP atk and Sp def EVs. very slow, can't even outspeed accelgor when holding choice scarf. powerful hydro pump (stab+rain boost) and able to take a zapdos thunder with just over half HP.

Accelgor holding focus sash:
    survivor. spamming protect/substitute until low HP or a sub survives. at low HP uses rest (hydration heals status) and surviving sub uses bug buzz.

porygon-z holding choice specs:
    adaptability hyper beam for singles and my Porygon-Z/accelgor strategy in doubles

Kingdra holding wide lens:
    swift swim/drizzle you know the drill blizzard for irritating dragons/flying types and ground types alike.

Toxicroak holding sludge:
    substitute, drain punch, dry skin, black sludge, rain.

Ferrothornintheside holding big root:
    ingrain prevents any irritating whirlwinds. leech seed, protect, power whip.

Now for the question:
    I want another strong attacker (kingdra is the only one that fits that description currently) specificly, a no guard, dynamicpunch machamp. Who do I replace on the team? I need politoed, I need to get rid of both accelgor and porygon-Z if I get rid of one. politoed starts the rain, toxicroak, kingdra, and ferrothorn all take advantage of the rain. What do I do?
    I dunno about you, but this seems to better fit in the Complete my team thread

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post

There's a full 6 there I just want to know if someone can help me with who I should get rid of to repace with machamp

suggestions anyone?

I choose.... WarGreyMon Professor Jacel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post

There's a full 6 there I just want to know if someone can help me with who I should get rid of to repace with machamp

suggestions anyone?
    You have a pretty solid Rain team though but if you were to replace him your best bet would be on Toxicroak. That way you are carrying to Fighters both weak to Psychic. I sometimes shift out my Toad for Conkledurr.

1.) Is there any possible way of keeping Meloetta-P without having Relic Song in its moveset? Also, does the Relic Song work in a similar way like Giratina's forms such that Meloetta is in Pirouette (spelling?) already by having the move or does it have to be used first to switch Forme?

2.) With the advent of B2W2, I was trying create Haxorus sets. I've come up with a Choice variant. Would this be a good one?
    Aqua Tail - allows Haxorus to strike Skarmory with neutral damage at least without the stat drops.
    Outrage / Dragon Claw - STAB
    Earthquake - Good coverage with Dragon Claw or Outrage
    Superpower - Decent coverage move for Blissey and Ferrothorn.

If I wanted Dragon Dance, what move should I give up?