Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SharKing's RU Team

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Default SharKing's RU Team

Greetings, Bulbagardeners, and welcome to the first RMT I've posted in my time as a Battle Center moderator! This one's a little different from most of my past RMT's, in that the team is not of the OU tier, but rather the new RU (Rarely Used) tier! I decided to play there because it's so much more fun for me than Gen. V OU ever was. (At least the only perma-weather here belongs to Snover.) This is the team that has earned me many wins in the tier.

Psyched the Alakazam

Timid / Focus Sash / Synchronize
    6 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Psyshock
    Counter
    Taunt
    Protect

Ironically enough, this thing was actually the last Poke I included in the initial team-building; I focused on the lead last, and after poring through a lot of Taunt-carriers (I wanted an SR stopper), Alakazam made itself out to be the most ideal lead. Plus, it pays a sort of homage to my Kadabra way back in Blue; my very first Lv.100.

Now, onto performance. It's meant to outrun the other leads and generally screw them over in a number of ways. I figured Protect was the best answer to Fake Out users; I'm aware that Zam has Inner Focus, but I prefer to keep my Sash intact for Counter reasons. Counter, by the way, is EPIC against physical leads (meaning most SR leads). They hit Zam, it survives, and they die. Don't let Zam's low HP fool ya. The most damage done by its Counter is 502; no poke capable of hitting it can survive that without Sturdy or a Sash! Psyshock is the main attack move. I prefer Psyshock, but I suppose Psychic could also work. Taunt is the obvious SR stopper, and it also stops Quiver/Smash Passers (or general users of the moves) before they Quiver or Smash. That blistering base 120 Speed is so ownsome, I tell ya! With Protect for handling Fake Out, I gave it Synchronize to make Dusknoir and Cofagrigus (mostly Dusknoir) regret using Will-O-Wisp.

( Alt+F4 ) the Porygon-Z

Modest / Life Orb / Download
    6 Defense / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Tri Attack
    Agility
    Hidden Power (Fighting)
    Ice Beam

P-Z is a major favorite of mine, so I definitely wanted to include it. I know I'm not using Nasty Plot like I wanted, but this set has so much more of a payoff. The combination of a Download boost and Life Orb raise its Sp. Attack to a devastating 787! Couple that with 556 Speed after an Agility, and you have a monster!

Ya see, the combo of Download and Agility is what makes Porygon-Z so devastating, but it also makes it difficult to set up. Of course, if I have something else asleep, the common Eviolite Tangela proves to be major setup fodder for this glitchy hummingbird. I don't care about its Leech Seed or Giga Drain; after the Download boost (and even without it, really), Ice Beam kills it no matter what. Tri Attack is the STAB move, and although it doesn't get the Adaptability boost this time around, a 120-power move from 787 Sp. Attack will hurt. I originally used Thunderbolt, but after running into problems with Magneton, Aggron, and several others, I decided to run HP Fighting. The move still works well with Ice Beam, as the Fighting + Ice combo is pretty hard to resist.

SharKing the Sharpedo

Mild / Life Orb / Speed Boost
    120 Attack / 252 Sp. Attack / 138 Speed

Surf
    Crunch
    Ice Beam
    Protect

Obvious choice is obvious, I know. What I'm happy about is that in the RU tier, Sharpedo is considered a serious threat; my mascot has a real fear aura to it, as sharks should have. With that considered, why would this obvious Sharpedo fan not use it?

In the making of a mixed set, I saw that Sharpedo's best options were on the Special side. As a result, I buffed its Sp. Attack as much as I could; it had to be done to use base 95 Sp. Attack to good effect. Surf is the STAB move, and it tends to hit awfully hard, especially in the rain! (Double-STAB Surf from anything but Luvdisc is always painful.) I ran Hydro Pump, but then I tried the reliable Surf, and I'm more satisfied with that. Crunch is the secondary STAB, and it hits things like Alakazam and Frillish very hard. Ice Beam rounds out this set's coverage, and it's Sharpedo's answer to Tangela; from this set, it has a good chance of KO'ing the walking vines after Stealth Rock damage. Protect is obviously there to stall for the activation of Speed Boost, the big thing that makes Sharpedo so deadly. With the Speed EVs I gave it and two turns of Speed Boost, it'll outpace any Adamant Kabutops in the rain.

フルインビ (Furuinbi) the Claydol

Sassy / Leftovers / Levitate
    252 HP / 6 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense

Earth Power
    Ice Beam
    Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spin

My trusty utility Claydol from way back in the Platinum days. I needed something that could both set up Rocks (as I wanted my lead to do something else) and Spin away the opponent's hazards, and Claydol was the first thing that came to mind.

With all that said. the purpose of Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin should be pretty obvious. Earth Power is an attack move that gets STAB, and it being a STAB'd Ground-type move and all, you know it hits certain things hard, even from Claydol's uninvested Sp. Attack stat; it certainly gives Entei, Typhlosion, Aggron, and others the shakes, XD. I originally ran Earthquake, but then I tried Earth Power to see why so many people use it over EQ on this thing. I now see why; many of the Ground-weak Pokes this tier have much lower Sp. Defense than physical Defense. Since I was making the Special shift, I also decided to use Ice Beam to hurt things immune to EP, like Yanmega.

Mjolnir the Aggron

Adamant / Choice Band / Rock Head
    252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Defense

Head Smash
    Aqua Tail
    Superpower
    Dragon Tail

I originally ran a Rhyperior named Iapetus, but after seeing a couple of dreadful weaknesses to Ice and Bug, I decided to change something, and with that massive collection of weaknesses, Rhyperior had to go. I put in a similar-yet-different Poke to act on my team's weaknesses. Besides, the name Mjolnir suits it; though not quite as strong as Rhyperior, this metal monster still hits like Thor's hammer!

As with Rhyperior, I wanted to run a smash-whatever's-in-front-of-you Choice Band set. With Rock Head as the Ability, STAB Head Smash is simply way too good to pass up, especially since it thoroughly outclasses Stone Edge. I originally ran Earthquake as an automatic choice, but I didn't find too many uses for it, especially with the more powerful Superpower hitting nearly all the same things for super-effective damage. I ran Aqua Tail in its place, and I'm more satisfied with it than Earthquake; hitting things like Claydol on the switch is awfully satisfying. Superpower, by the way, is another all-out power option, most ideal for things like Clefable, P-Z (though Head Smash kills that one, too), and other Aggron. I decided to go the "phazing" way with the last move, opting for Dragon Tail. The most entertaining way to use this move is to use it on a switch, forcing a second switch into who-knows-what; it's especially fun with Stealth Rock up. Dragon Tail's also useful for stopping some setup sweepers that it can't one-shot.

オトンボ (Otonbo) the Yanmega

Timid / Choice Specs / Tinted Lens
    6 Defense / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Bug Buzz
    Air Slash
    U-turn
    Giga Drain

I was tempted to use Yanmega, but I didn't want to be repetitive; Sharpedo's running the Speed Boost show here. Therefore, I relegated Yanmega to its other most powerful role: Choice Specs wielder. (Of course, if they decide to ban Yanmega to UU for some reason, I can always run Quiver Dance Venomoth.)

One might say that the success is determined by Yanmega's great Sp. Attack or decent Speed, but the real magic in this set lies in Yanmega's Ability, Tinted Lens. With it, nothing in RU resists its attacks! There are so many Pokes out there that would kill for that neutral coverage. Bug Buzz is the STAB-enforced power move, and Air Slash is there for both its still-considerable power and the chance of flinching. U-turn is for scouting purposes, as the move is usually used for. One might say that Yanmega's coverage is best rounded out with a Hidden Power (Ground, Ice, etc.), but I find that the best coverage move by far is Giga Drain. The move got boosted to 75 base power, making it stronger than Hidden Power, and it outright murders Rhydon, Rhyperior, Gastrodon, and others! The stolen HP is also nice, especially if Yanmega's forced to endure Stealth Rock, which it hates more than anything. I went with a Timid nature to make sure Hitmonlee doesn't outspeed.

So, that's my team. Feel free to tear it apart suggest any beneficial changes to moves, items, or even Pokemon, as usual!

So decrees the royal shark.
    Last edited by SharKing; 5th July 2011 at 11:40 PM.
    DCM likes this.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Default Re: SharKing's RU Team

I haven't tried RU out much myself, so how does this team fare? Are there anything that counters or is promlematic to your team?

Do I have to be the ℍEℝO? Valkyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alakazam wants Magic Guard so that his sash isn't broken by hazards, even as a lead, he might come in handy, late-game. One thing that does concern me is how 3 of your Pokemon are weak to bug type moves, and RU is pretty much an insect's paradise, with things like Venomoth and Durant running around, Rhyperior can probably kill most of them, but it is pretty slow. You also might want some type of Hazing or Phazing to stop boosters, aside from Taunt. Other than that, this seems like a really well built team.

Blog Entries

Magic Guard is an unreleased ability as of right now.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Valkyria raises a pretty good point about the Bug weakness thing. There's also a weakness to Ice I should be concerned about. Maybe I can switch Rhyperior for Aggron? It's still very powerful (base 110 Attack is nothin' to laugh at, especially with Head Smash), and it resists Ice and Bug (except for Tinted Lens Bug Buzz, of course).
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

Blog Entries

Definitely run Aggron, I used a Rock Polish set, I think, once, it was amazing. If set up properly it can destroy. Aggron's fighting weakness shouldn't be a problem because of your 2 Psychics and one flying.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

OK, the change is made. Tell me if there's anything better I can do with Aggron.
    SharKing Productions

Blog Entries

Run Ice Punch for Gligar.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Gligar never gives me problems, anyway. Sharpedo and P-Z handle it with Ice Beam, and Yanmega injures it with the technically-unresisted Bug Buzz.
    SharKing Productions

Blog Entries

Also consider Aqua Tail for Rhyperior. And what exactly is Superpower hitting harder than Head Smash?

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Clefable, Rhyperior, and other Aggron, definitely. It's also more reliable against Normal-types because it doesn't miss 20% of the time.
    SharKing Productions

Blog Entries

Have you missed the KO on other Aggron when you use Earthquake? Because I really think Aqua Tail might be a better coverage move than Superpower.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Well, this is a very recent change; I'll have to actually face another Aggron before I get back to you on that. And besides Rhyperior, Rhydon, and Gligar, I don't see what truly suffers from Aqua Tail.
    SharKing Productions

Blog Entries

Rock Polish and Aqua Tail are better than Dragon Tail and Superpower, imo. Use it if you need phasing but there are better phasers out there.

Blog Entries

I don't think Rock Polish (or Autotomize, for that matter) would work on a Choice Band set. Aqua Tail might work, but Dragon Tail's just so damn fun to use. Of course, I've not found many opportunities where Earthquake would shine...
    SharKing Productions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast