RMT: Gonna have fun (Gen V PO)

Thread: RMT: Gonna have fun (Gen V PO)

Blog Entries

Default RMT: Gonna have fun (Gen V PO)

So a while back I was having a battle against somebody who was using Pokémon like Chimecho in OU. When I asked him why, he said that he wanted to use his favorites.
    I actually thought about this a bit, and I realized that it would be fun to try and use my favorites, and have them sweep with proper team support. Of course, I have had Pokémon like Lapras and Pikachu do this, but those have only been 1 favorite in a field on OU Pokémon.
    This team is based on using my favorites to win. It may sound crazy, but I've never had as much fun with any team as I have with this one.
    The team building process was very simple—take your favorite Pokémon, put 5 of them together, then stick in something for entry hazards. Surprisingly, it's worked great!
    So, without any further ado, here's the team.
    Ferrothorn (Forreyv2)

@ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock

Ah, Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is an amazing Pokémon, and takes those annoying Volt Switches like a champ. He sets up Stealth Rock, and with Rocky Helmet, absolutely destroys physical attackers. That and Leech Seed means that he stays alive for a long time.
    I actually sac him a lot, just to annoy the opponent who loses massive health thanks to Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs. Gyro Ball+Power Whip are excellent STABs and give me a solid method of attacking. Pretty self explanatory physical wall.

Gyarados (Hurricane)

@ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang

For the life of me, I can't remember who first suggested this set to me, but I better thank them. Moxie Gyarados makes an amazing revenge killer, as well as a late game sweeper. He can rip through the remainders of a team with ease. Hurricane here has great coverage and smashing abilities. The main issue is scarf Rotom-W, who gives this team major problems as a whole. Stealth Rock is pretty annoying as well. However, Gyarados takes out many problems that this team would otherwise face—namely, the Kami Trio, Mence, and Dragonite. I'm surprised I don't see this set more often, it's very useful. Overall, Gyarados is a great team player.
    Houndoom (Nitefire)

@ Salac Berry
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Nasty Plot
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse
    Probably my favorite fire type of all, Houndoom is hilarious. I'm not sure what set to give him, so right now I'm sticking with a Substitute+Nasty Plot+Salac Berry set. I don't often get to use this set properly, but when I do, it destroys. With sun teams running rampant, Ferrothorn and Houndoom have amazing synergy together—even without Nasty Plot, a STAB sun flash fire boosted Fire Blast is downright scary. I rarely get to use the Salac Berry though, so I'm contemplating switching items.
    Houndoom's low speed is a let down, but he functions as a fantastic overall Pokémon. He removes common threats like Jirachi and Jellicent very easily—two Pokémon that I hate facing with a passion. This guy could use some work, but he functions great.

Lucario (Anubis)

@ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Close Combat
    - Ice Punch
    - Swords Dance
    Oh, Lucario. I've loved this guy since I first saw him. He's been present in so many of my teams, and this hasn't changed. This particular Lucario runs Justified to have some nice synergy with Gengar, and Swords Dance means that if I predict switches, it goes great. Ice Punch nails Gliscor, who thinks he can wall my sweep, and Extremespeed brings some much needed priority to the table. Close Combat is obligatory STAB, and is ridiculously powerful after a Swords Dance. The Aura Pokémon works great as a set-up sweeper and revenge killer.

Gengar (ShadowSmile)

@ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    My approach to battling: When something annoys you to death, start using it. SubDisable Gengar is one of the most annoying potent Pokémon in the metagame. It's not surprising it's stayed OU throughout all of Pokémon. Setting up Sub on an obvious switch, then disabling the first attack means that Choice Scarf users cry and anything else can eat a deadly Shadow Ball. Gengar's high Speed and Special Attack make it an amazing Pokémon on the whole. I can't see much to change with this one, he's pretty much perfect.

Honchkrow (Mafia)

@ Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Sucker Punch

This guy is consistently the MVP of the team. With Substitute to block Status, Roost to take off recoil, and two powerful STABs, I can sweep through teams easily with this one. Honchkrow has amazing priority in the form of Sucker Punch, and Brave Bird does over 50% to even Ferrothorn! After one Moxie, I can easily Sucker Punch Thundurus-T to death. Just a few examples show just how powerful this thing is. If my opponent lets me take out a few Pokémon, it's all over.

So there's the team. I'm looking for any advice, particularly on Houndoom, whom I really want to use but need a better set for. Surprisingly, this team has done reasonably well.
    The main reason I post this, though, is to say just how much fun I've had using this team. If you guys are getting bored with teams, I suggest you try something like this—take four or five of your favorite Pokémon, no matter what tier they're in, and try to make them work. Even if you get crushed, I can guarantee you'll be having so much fun, it won't matter. Just give it a go, and see how it is.

Importable Version:

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Default Re: RMT: Gonna have fun (Gen V PO)

Rock Polish Terrakion seems like it could give your team some issues.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Funnily enough, I haven't faced many of those, but I can see your point. Normally against Terrakion, if Ferrothorn has already set stuff up and they don't have a spinner, I just sac it to rack up damage, then use Gyarados. Terrakion has to Close Combat or Gyro Ball+Iron Barbs+Rocky Helmet will take it out, then Scarfed Gyara will outspeed.
    I used to run Bullet Punch on Lucario, but Ice Punch is amazing for luring in Gliscor.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

For Houndoom, you might want to try Chesto/Rest with Hidden Power Ice instead of Nasty Plot/Sub. The surprise factor is amazing against dangerous stallers, and HP really helps against Dragons and the Kami trio. I've used it quite often, and it works fairly well.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

For Houndoom, maybe a Substitute+Double Team. This allows you to be slower and still be able to attack. (I'm still a newbie at this, though! XD)

Any advice on how to make a Lucario and a Torterra work together?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Power of Aura View Post
    For Houndoom, maybe a Substitute+Double Team. This allows you to be slower and still be able to attack. (I'm still a newbie at this, though! XD)

Any advice on how to make a Lucario and a Torterra work together?
    This is playing with the Evasion, meaning accuracy removing moves are banned.

Questions go in the simple question thread.

Much love to Zurr