Rental Tournament Tips

Thread: Rental Tournament Tips

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Rental Tournament Tips

So, I've discovered that I suck in the Pokemon World Tournament because I lose the first round every time, at least in the rental tournament so far (the Driftveil one was easy the only time I did it). Either that, or I'm extremely unlucky, because all of my opponents so far have had one Pokemon with super effective moves against all three members of whatever my team is. And they OHKO my team while my super effective moves only take off half their HP.

Anyone have advice for me so I can actually win at all in this stupidly rigged tournament?

I'm new to this section, so I'm not sure if this is the right thing to ask here, but...yeah.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rental Tournament Tips

I hear ya. While I'm really good at the PWT, both the Type Masters and Rental I get mowed down (the latter more than the former, as I only did Type Masters once). I could use a few pointers as well, since that's the only tournament outside of Type Masters that I get flattened faster than if I was belly flopped by a Groundon. At times it does seem rigged. Only once did I make it to the final round... only to be utterly crushed by one Pokemon. If you figure out something, let me know, since I would like to find a way around those unusually strong opponents.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Ah, glad I'm not the only one having trouble here. No matter what strategy I tried to use, I got crushed. When I tried to zig, my opponent zagged. I tried to use Sing once in an attempt to gain an advantage, only to find out that the damned Pokemon was holding a Lum Berry. Maybe I should try a different tournament, though. Still, I'll keep at the rental one once in awhile to see if I find any way to actually win it.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like the Rental Tournament, and I've won it a bunch. My wins come after trying multiple times. (I lie in bed playing the tourneys over and over again before falling asleep. It's fun to battle using different Pokemon! And I'm still learning the basics of EVs and IVs, so I don't have to worry about that here, even though I still go headlong into the other tourneys with my main game team when I haven't fixed their EVs yet.)

Much of it is luck, based on whom you and your opponents get. What kinds of battles are you better at? I've traditionally done better in Double and Rotation Battles, but I've had success in other places. Try the battle style you do the best in, and use type coverage to your advantage. When picking the team, if it's not a Triple Battle, take the Pokemon that have the best type variety.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

I do best in single battle, and I do try to take the Pokemon with the most type variety. It doesn't help that the teams I've been given to pick from don't have much variety though...

Also, how come you only get one BP per tournament you win? That's just stupid. The Mix tournament I just won was tough, and all I get is one stupid point?