rate my VGC '12 team

Thread: rate my VGC '12 team

Registered User williamscaleb91's Avatar

Default rate my VGC '12 team

So I'm trying to put together a decent sun team for VGC '12 here it is.

~~Ninetales~~
    Iron ball
    Quiet 252 spA/252 HP/4 def
    Drought
    -Heatwave
    -solarbeam
    -will-o-wisp
    -protect
    Okay my primary sun generator obviously, as slow as possible to make sure I win the weather war. I'll spam willowisp on physical attackers and the other attacks are obvious.

~~Typhlosion~~
    Fire Gem
    Timid 252 spA/252 spe/4 def
    Blaze
    -Eruption
    -heatwave
    -solarbeam
    -protect
    Pretty much the point of me building the team, I love Typhlosion and Eruption is rather exclusive, under the sun eruption reaches incredible strength, heatwave is there should my hp get too low, at which point I'll receive a boost from blaze anyhow.

~~Whimsicott~~
    Focus Sash
    Timid 252 HP/252 spe/ 4 def
    Prankster
    -encore
    -sunny day/giga drain
    -tailwind
    -protect
    The other crux of my team prankster whimsicott can shut down enemy pokemon by locking them into useless moves with encore, then set up tailwind, oh and did I mention all of it has priority? Not sure if I should go with giga drain to avoid being taunt bait or backing up ninetales with another sunny day user.
    ~~Tangrowth~~
    Leftovers
    Impish 252 HP/252 def/ 4 atk
    Chlorophyll
    -Power whip
    -sleep powder
    -protect
    -stun spore
    Power whip hits hard even without investment, with chlorophyll in the sun serves as a fast moving status spreading platform.

~~Salamence~~
    Choice specs
    modest 252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
    intimidate
    -Draco meteor
    -heatwave
    -hydropump
    -air cutter
    Not many people expect specs here, latios tends to outclass it but with access to heatwave I like salamence better, draco meteor hits like a truck, and multiple switch ins actually benefit me thanks to intimidate. Hydro pump takes a hit from the sun but 2HKO's ttar should he make an appearance. as well as any other ground/rock types looking to wreck my fire.

~~Mamoswine~~
    Life Orb
    Adamant 252 atk/ 252 spe/ 4 hp
    thick fat
    -icicle crash
    -earthquake
    -ice shard
    -protect
    I searched pretty hard for a 6th team member here, I think mamoswine fits in, I'm worried about opposing dragons who resist almost all of the rest of my moves (except draco meteor) wrecking my fun so I think a physically powerful ice type with access to STAB ice shard, as well as unresisted STAB fits my team fairly well.

Any insight provided would be excellent.

credit to blazaking for the banner.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: rate my VGC '12 team

I'm going to be honest, Ninetales really isn't a great Pokémon to use unless you're going to use it as a back row. Sure, you've set its speed to be as low as it can, but that will also work against it once it comes to actually attacking. You're best option for setting up the sun would be from Whimsicott, as it has priority. I'd also probably replace Eruption on Typhlosion with Focus Blast; it may not be very accurate, but will come in handy with Tyranitar, who is used a lot.

Also, Tangrowth wouldn't be able to survive very long in an environment where Heat Wave is common; especially in sun when fire type moves have their power increased. Unfortunately, Mamoswine has that weakness as well (not to mention a fighting weakness; Hitmontop is prominent this season). Your team will probably have some trouble with Garchomp, so I'd recommend choice scarfing your Salamence instead of specs?

I second Joshawott's mentioning of Ninetails. It is too frail as a front row starter and your instantly trying to save it from the off. Ninetails though is a fantastic back row member to combat the ever present rain dance teams.

So if the opponent has rain dance up, switch in ninetails and select solarbeam with your partner. That can turn the tide on that kind of switch. You can switch out the salamence so he can come back in again for the second intimidate.

Registered User williamscaleb91's Avatar

okay so I've been testing this team out a bit, the prevalence of hitmontop has been slightly troublesome, however I usually can encore him into fake out or wide guard most of the time with whimsicott, or cripple with a will o wisp. the biggest problem I've had is tangrowth pretty much sucking. My main 4 most of the time have been turning out to be ninetales, whimsicott,typhlosion, and salamence. I bring mamoswine in to check the opposing dragons such as garchomp, which has worked out most of the time thus far. Typhlosions eruption in the sun has proven to be my ace in the hole much of the time so I don't plan on switching that, but you've given me some great insight, my biggest question is, what are your recommendations as a replacement for tangrowth?

credit to blazaking for the banner.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DW Venusaur is great. Has access to Sleep Powder, Solar Beam, Growth which is boosted in the sun as is Hidden Power Fire. Chloryphyl also doubles it's speed so it's a great choice for sun teams.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World