Rate my Team: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate my Team: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rate my Team: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

Good counters for Quagsire and Gastrodon would be anything that packs a Grass-type move capable of doing serious damage to them - Ferrothorn with Power Whip would be a good example, although not a good suggestion for this team due to the weakness to Fire-types that it currently carries. Any Pokémon that can successfully use Toxic against them, too, then proceed to stall them out can be a great help, which will be easier to accomplish if you have 2 layers of Toxic Spikes active.

Seeing as a lot of Quagsire tend to use Water-type moves, and attempt to set up with Curse (which can be easily forced out with Toxic), Jellicent can be used to counter them, which would aid with your problems regarding Fire-types, and would make it easier to introduce a FerroCent core into your team, which could help with your counters, while still providing entry hazards through Spikes and Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn.

Jellicent also helps you beat Scizor, a fairly common threat to which this team has no direct answer. Try using the the Stallbreaking set (Surf/Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Recover).

I'm going to disagree with you on that. His sweeping abilities have not been compromised because of one move over another and besides he's not the center of my team, Lucario is. Gengar was chosen to back him up by hitting what Lucario can't. I'm not just going to run around giving Pokemon move sets solely from smogon. That's entirely un creative an not entirely helpful either. I'm going to agree with CJC an say that this move is a must for Gengar on this team. I'm also going to say that based on the critiques you've had for other people's teams, you care very little for diversity and it's ability to be effective. However, I'm clearly not alone in my thought that this team is both creative and effective. So thanks anyway.

Ehh, I apologize for the tone of my last post. I was in a hurry to get it out before work, and I didn't realize until recently how it came across.

Basically, here's what I mean to say: I'm very grateful for critiques, but I do believe that CJC's have been better as they've been coupled with good suggestions and explanations rather than just pointing out flaws. Not only that, but she's already come up with simple solutions to make the same Pokemon more viable in competition. She's helped to solve the coverage issues very well.

I do have to say, the Pokemon I've chosen will not change. It's the first time my favorite Pokemon could come together and make a viable competitive team together, and it's hardly predictable. I can change their moves around, but not the Pokemon themselves.

All this in mind, I can make a completely different team as well if I were interested in "just winning," but I really believe there's something to be said about Elite Four Karen's philosophy about winning with the Pokemon you love best. So that'll be that for this team. If there are more suggestions for move sets, I'll gladly consider them.
    Last edited by g3rgni; 21st December 2011 at 04:17 PM.

@Trouble

I apologize for not explaining my thoughts more thoroughly. I'd like to say that I personally believe that this team would not work very well in the standard OU metagame. Non-weather teams typically require a strong defensive core to combat the multitude of threats posed by weather-based teams as well as the rest of the metagame's threats in general. This team's core of Donphan, Skarmory, and Tentacruel, in my opinion, is not particularly suited to handle many sweepers commonly found on Drought and Drizzle teams. You'll struggle against Volcarona, Venusaur, Tangrowth, Tornadus, Jirachi, and Gyarados to name a few. You'll also have some trouble against Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Reuniclus for whom you have no direct counters.

Please feel free to play the game whatever way you'd like. I would, however, like to suggest that you test this team extensively before you make judgment of its effectiveness.

Also, please don't double post. If you want to clarify something you've said, please edit your initial post.

Well, I've been mulling things over, and I've come to some good conclusions.

I'd like to heartily thank @Corpus Juris Civilis and @Heathcliff Huxtable. HH, even though I don't respond very well immediately to harsh criticisms (and those weren't really harsh, just disagreeable to me at the time), they're the ones that stick with me and improve me in whatever it is I do. You have certainly convinced me that there is potential to do better, and that I can do just that.

CJC, your suggestions have been very helpful and were delivered in a most agreeable manner.

This was my first attempt at a competitive team, and these aren't ALL of my favorite Pokemon, of course. There are so many to choose from! I will continue to improve on my competitive game. This team is fun and it's my first, and given that it's my first, I feel that I did a pretty decent job. I'm going to see it through and complete the team on my game, and I may even try it out against some other players, but more importantly, I will be making more teams, more competitively viable ones.

Thanks again for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12