Is Random WiFi matchmaking regulated in any way?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Master Mew
  • 1 Post By -Glory Blaze-

Thread: Is Random WiFi matchmaking regulated in any way?

Default Is Random WiFi matchmaking regulated in any way?

Hey everyone, I've played Pokemon casually since I got Pokemon Blue as an 11yr old for Christmas years ago and have never done competitive battling before besides against my brother or classmates at school way back when.

The only mainstream games I've missed were DPP in fact.

I've recently been interested in trying out the competitive aspect of Pokemon but there is a lot to absorb causing me to get overwhelmed and have a hard time deciding what pokemon to pick and what EV spread I should use.

I was wondering if I'd get thrown to the wolves if I have a team of mediocre trained pokemon such as something With a Mega Pinsir, Persian, Xatu, Sceptile, Weavile, and Vaporeon.

The above pokemon are all sort of favorites of mine and I don't want to get totally floored by teams of legendaries so does the game filter out pokemon teams with considerably higher stat totals than mine?

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

Visit BadAssKoala's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Is Random WiFi matchmaking regulated in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    Hey everyone, I've played Pokemon casually since I got Pokemon Blue as an 11yr old for Christmas years ago and have never done competitive battling before besides against my brother or classmates at school way back when.

The only mainstream games I've missed were DPP in fact.

I've recently been interested in trying out the competitive aspect of Pokemon but there is a lot to absorb causing me to get overwhelmed and have a hard time deciding what pokemon to pick and what EV spread I should use.

I was wondering if I'd get thrown to the wolves if I have a team of mediocre trained pokemon such as something With a Mega Pinsir, Persian, Xatu, Sceptile, Weavile, and Vaporeon.

The above pokemon are all sort of favorites of mine and I don't want to get totally floored by teams of legendaries so does the game filter out pokemon teams with considerably higher stat totals than mine?

Thanks for reading.
    Well I'm sorry to say that most teams anywhere you can play are IV bred and EV trained. If you want to learn about competitive battling I'd recommend stopping by our BBL Mentorship program and signing up. We have competitive battlers ready to teach new players how to battle competitively. Hope that helps.

Join the Bulbagarden Battle League!
    ~Ground Elite 4~

Blog Entries

Not to knock the BBL, but if you really want to learn how to competitive battle, I'd go to smogon.com and give a read to some of those articles over there. Smogon is the largest competitive battling site on the internet.
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TerraTF View Post
    Not to knock the BBL, but if you really want to learn how to competitive battle, I'd go to smogon.com and give a read to some of those articles over there. Smogon is the largest competitive battling site on the internet.
    Better yet, do both. Smogon is a fantastic resource but going it alone can be a little overwhelming, having someone personally walk you through the basics gives you a headstart and boosts your confidence (plus its not like our mentors aren't using Smogon as a reference anyway).

EDIT: Also, nobody answered this:

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post

Depending on the ruleset you choose when you send your challenge (or the rules you're shown when you receive a challenge in PSS), legendaries are generally banned, but no there isn't anything to prevent another player from challenging you with six non-legendary pokemon with sky-high base-stats, regardless of what pokemon you're using. Battle-Spot rating battles ban legendaries as well, while free battles allow pretty much anything (and you'll be running into a lot of Xerneas and Darkrai there).

Other than Persian (and maybe Xatu) none of those pokemon are really all that bad, though. I think you'll struggle to find a niche for Persian in Battle Spot/PSS, but with that Speed stat maybe there's something it can do well? Mega Pinsir is one of the best pokemon out there, and Weavile's pretty fantastic, too, so it's fortunate that they're favorites of yours.
    Last edited by Master Mew; 27th March 2014 at 12:08 PM.
    Lunacy and superbobbobbob3 like this.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

I needed a good laugh today, thank you. What do you think we use to help them out? We teach them how to battle within Smogon and use Smogon strategy, but as master mew said it can be a little overwhelming to read mounds of articles. It also doesn't help if you don't understand the basics of competitive anyway.

~Ground Elite 4~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssKoala View Post
    I needed a good laugh today, thank you. What do you think we use to help them out? We teach them how to battle within Smogon and use Smogon strategy, but as master mew said it can be a little overwhelming to read mounds of articles. It also doesn't help if you don't understand the basics of competitive anyway.
    Sorry, I just think that Smogon has higher quality information than what most of the battlers here at BMGF have to offer, even if the mentors take information directly from Smogon.
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

Believe it or not, I do agree with Terra on the matter. I, myself, learned through Smogon's site and gained more from battle experience. I think it is best to get it straight from the source and in the case that Smogon's database is overwhelming, you always have the BBL's mentorship program to fall back on.

Test yourself by challenging the Bulbagarden Battle League!

Blog Entries

Add me to the self taught pile. The BBL program (as I designed it) is for both a) casuals and b) newbs, but we assume basic knowledge of Smogon rules, banlists, clauses, and metagames. A 100% newb who has never heard of Pokémon before would certainly be helped by our program but would get more out of it if they at least perused the Smogon archives first. But like BAK said, we do teach from Smogon and are Smogonites, so of you've already read up but need guiding through the early part of your competitive career, then the BBL program will be more helpful than trying to flail around in the Smogon forums as we tend to be more helpful and personalized and try to be less condescending.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssKoala View Post
    Sorry, I just think that Smogon has higher quality information than what most of the battlers here at BMGF have to offer, even if the mentors take information directly from Smogon.
    I don't feel like arguing with you on yet another thread, but I will say I was self taught myself. I do see the value in learning from the source, but a lot of it for me was trial and error. I would've appreciated someone who could've walked me through breeding and team building. Which is primarily why the Mentorship program exists, and hell I usually point my apprentices towards some Smogon articles. I also agree that there are some battlers on BMGf that don't know what their talking about. Anyway I see the value on both, I'm out.
    Last edited by BadAssKoala; 27th March 2014 at 06:35 PM.

~Ground Elite 4~

Blog Entries

Another self-taught battler here, I just expanded my references to not only include Smogon but also Nuggetbridge, and custom sets made by other self-taught battlers on youtube. And heck, I even make my own custom sets from time to time like I did with my Tyranitar and Mega Venusaur.

Mysterious Science Theater 3000: making fun of bad b-movies since the 1980s so you don't have to.

3DS Friend Code: 5000-2971-5028 (Normal Safari: Eevee, Loudred, and Herdier)

Having been a mentee (even for a short amount of time) I recommend the mentorship program. Maybe read up on natures and how the whole IV/EV system works first, but after that it gets a little difficult building a team with good synergy at first. You may be advised to replace some of your pokemon, but they will help you build a team around your core favorite or 2.
    Pokemon Y FC: 2251-5426-9129
    Trainer name is Willie

BBL Challenger with 8 Badges

Dragon Badge-----Rock Badge
    Poison Badge-----Psychic Badge
    Fairy Badge-----Flying Badge
    Electric Badge-----Ice Badge