Rain Team

Thread: Rain Team

Blog Entries
    Add infernape96 on Facebook

Default Rain Team

So I'm still a little new to competitive battling but I'm getting better at it so decided to make my own lil' rain team.
    Well.. Here it goes

Lapras @Damp Rock
    Bold:128 Def/156 Sp. Attck/228 Sp. Def
    Rain Dance
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Thunder
    Basically, this is my dancer. I know Kyogre has drizzle and sets up rain without wasting a turn. But I hate Kyogre with every fiber of my body that I will not use him regardless of how beneficial he could be to this team. Anyways, after rain dance I hit and hit until she's KOed or I decide to switch.

Floatzel @Choice Band
    Swift Swim
    Adamant:4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
    Crunch
    Waterfall
    Ice Punch
    Brick Break
    Swift Swim makes this thing killer fast! Pretty good physical sweeper. Decent type coverage for this moveset. I really don't know what else to say. Hit hard Hit fast. Need I say more?

Kingdra @Choice Specs
    Swift Swim
    Modest:4 HP/252 Sp. Attck/252 Speed
    Dragon Pulse
    Hydro Pump
    Signal Beam
    Ice Beam
    Same as Floatzel. Get a boost from Swift Swim and watch the fun begin.

Blastoise @Leftovers
    Torrent(this is gen 4 so no rain dish)
    Modest:252 Def/4 Sp Attck/252 Sp . Def
    Rain Dance
    Aqua Ring
    Surf
    Empty Slot
    I realize this such a lousy EV spread but I don't know anything better to do. It's my wall both physical and special. Also, it's my second Rain Dancer. I haven't started EV training this thing yet so if you have any better EV suggestions feel free to tell me.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
    Swift Swim
    Modest:56 HP/252 Sp. Attck/196 Speed
    Giga Drain
    Hydro Pump
    Rain Dance
    Ice Beam
    My last Dancer and another sweeper. Can survive a few hits especially against the wrong opponent. Giving it a chance to set up another dance and sweep after the Dance.

As for this last spot I'm hopelessly lost on who to choose. I was thinking Toxicroak with Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Poison Jab, and Drain Punch. You know.. Revenge killer*

Well it's not the best RD team ever, but I like it and that's all that matters. Well tell me what you guys think..
    Heart Gold friend code: 5243 8342 6896

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rain Team

@infernape96 ; Is this for OU or Ubers?

Blog Entries

1. Don't use all water types. Other Pokemon can function well in rain too, such as counters to Pokemon that threaten your water-types.
    2. Sharpedo > Floatzel in pretty much every way. Only, use a Life Orb. And obviously Speed Boost.
    3. If you're ignoring tiers (which Kingdra and Blastoise suggest, being UU and all. Unless this is a UU team) then use Drizzle Politoed.

And then I read that this is Gen 4....um....might wanna make that little detail more noticeable.....oh well, #1 is still a valid suggestion.

@Synthesis; This is a gen 4 team, I forget, does that have its own section?
    Last edited by crystallineEntropy; 20th July 2012 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries

No, I think this is fine here.

@infernape96 ; Make sure to state what generation and what tiers you're playing in.

Just a few notes that are always helpful:

-When creating defensively-orientated Pokemon, you should almost always use 252 HP before investing in defences. The almost really only applies to some Pain Split Pokemon
    -Drizzle and Swift Swim are banned together
    -If you need help with Pokemon EV spreads, natures, movesets or anything, Smogon has at least one set on every available Pokemon, no matter the tier.
    -Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown (battling simulators) are your best bet if you want to learn the ropes of competitive battling

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

He's playing in gen 4, he does state that.

also I'd suggest Toxicroak instead of Ludicolo, you already have enough water types and a good poison type will be useful against those annoying grass types, Dry skin also heals twice as much as rain dish. you also need something to help against electric types. With your team entirely composed of water types you need that coverage.

Blog Entries

@Exor what other non water types would you suggest.

Blog Entries

@ShadowBlaziken what item should I give Toxicroak?
    Black Sludge heals his HP and gets healed from the rain to.
    But he's also running jolly nature so his attack isn't the best. So maybe Life Orb?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by infernape96 View Post
    @Exor what other non water types would you suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by infernape96 View Post
    @ShadowBlaziken what item should I give Toxicroak?
    Black Sludge heals his HP and gets healed from the rain to.
    But he's also running jolly nature so his attack isn't the best. So maybe Life Orb?
    I'm just going to give you a friendly suggestion before a mod infracts you. If you need to say something more in a post, it's generally better to edit the first post to contain the new content, rather than "double-posting," which is generally frowned upon. This instance looks like it may be alright, given that nobody's merged the posts yet, but be wary of it in the future.

EDIT: On the note of the team, so that *I* don't get infracted for totally veering off-topic, Jolteon's a good team member to consider, as is Zapdos. I'd probably run Black Sludge on toxicroak, since it's comparatively frail, and you want to give it as much healing as possible.
    Last edited by Data-Roxas; 20th July 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

Breed the toxicroak to a better nature.

Drain punch isn't obtainable without b/w breeding, dream world or b/w2 move tutors so that's out of the question. you can teach it poison jab through Lv up or gunk shot in HG/SS move tutor for some physical poison damage. sucker punch can 1hko an alakazam and last but not least I'd suggest substitute/protect along with either rockslide, rock tomb, stone edge or earthquake.

I agree with rockman on the point that toxicroak is frail (usually koed by ground type moves, ALWAYS koed by psychic) which is why i suggest substitute/protect.

For some variety try using a no-guard machamp (excellent sweeper) with dynamic punch, stone edge and bullet punch. He can do some serous damage to possible threats to your team. Another option is a lightningrod manectric. good for perfect accuracy thunder and absorbing thunders aimed at your (huge arsenal of) water types.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    Drain punch isn't obtainable without b/w breeding, dream world or b/w2 move tutors so that's out of the question. you can teach it poison jab through Lv up or gunk shot in HG/SS move tutor for some physical poison damage. sucker punch can 1hko an alakazam and last but not least I'd suggest substitute/protect along with either rockslide, rock tomb, stone edge or earthquake.
    This is for Gen IV, right? in Gen IV, Drain Punch is a TM...

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would recommend swords dance toxicroak with life orb. Jolly nature will do.

Also check this fantastic rain offense guide for d/p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
    A TM that Toxicroak can't learn for some reason.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

How about a steal type? It will work well in a rain team due to mitagating it's fire weakness. How about bronzong? just incase you wanted another defensive pokemon. You can throw stealth rocks on it for some extra support. It can also be a duel screener and even kind of offensive. Electrode works well in the rain too since it is a super fast rain dance and taunter. Explode is an option on it as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SharKing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
    A TM that Toxicroak can't learn for some reason.
    whoops. well, I feel intelligent now... I only started playing meta in BW, though, and i never used toxicroak... eh well, best of luck! XD