The POGL Official Announcment

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The POGL Official Announcment

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The POGL Official Announcment

NOTE: This thread has been approved by a mod (Sublime). Please read it fully through as it contains very important information.

Hello fellow Bulbagardeners, and welcome to a very important message. This includes good and bad information, but information that will nonetheless be very important to the Pokémon Online Gym Challenge/League (from now on I will refer to it as League).

I’ll start off with the good news.

If you have been with the league from Day 1 you would know that it was only ever semi-permanent, with it being a simple setup league until the IPGL transitioned from Wi-Fi to Pokémon Online; a highly developed battling simulator as you all know. The problem was that effectively it meant this league had an expiry date, which was always an issue for me and my two co-workers Axle Helios and Shadow Raikou. Me and the leader of the IPGL, Flame Alex had on numerous occasions talked about this league, and we were concerned about what would happen when the IPGL restarted (if you don’t know this league originally started to advertise the new Bulbagarden PO server, but due to errors was just transitioned to a PO gym league altogether). However recently he has informed me that we, the Pokémon Online Gym League will in fact be the new PO part of the IPGL, with the Wi-Fi league also remaining. This is excellent news, and secures the leagues long term survival. This alone is worthy of celebration and is extremely fortunate for the league.

However this comes with a price, and which will be explained in the bad news.

Flame Alex has informed me that the POGL will only have eight gyms, mirroring the Wi-Fi league. This means that there will be no Elite 4 or Champion straight away (I have asked Alex when an Elite 4 + Champion would be available, and he has said September at the earliest). Due to this five people will have to be cut, which is very unlucky and for which I apologize, especially to people who really went out of their way to join. There really isn’t an easy way to do this, and I’ve organized and analysed a tournament as the best option. And yes you must use your gym team (e.g. for Sublime its Poison).

If for some reason you feel you don't want to be a gym leader still, please inform me now.

Really this tournament^^ is the best option for cutting people, and although it looks complicated, it is actually pretty simple. (Also, sorry for using abbreviations for people’s names and the bad picture, you can only do so much with Paint.)

Round 1: The first eight matches start, with the winners going to the Quarterfinals and the losers going into a second pool (shown at the bottom).

Round 2: The first round of battles for the second pool begins, with the winner of the first one preceding to battle the champion coolking503, and the winners of the second and third one preceding to battle each other.

Round 3: Above statement (the winner of the first one preceding to battle the champion coolking503, and the winners of the second and third one preceding to battle each other) happens and the winners go to the Quarterfinals to face off.

Round 4: All Quarterfinal matches take place, with the winners moving to the Semi-finals.

Round 5: All Semi-final matches take place, with the two winners moving into the Grand-final to battle.

Round 6: Grand-final battle takes place.

If this seems confusing it is very much an elimination tournament with a 2nd chance for people who lose their first battle, that’s all. Also I have tried to match the starting battles fairly, and have done my best in that aspect hopefully. You may be wondering why coolking503 gets an entry into the second pool’s 2nd round, and this is a good question. You see the champion -in this case coolking503- is very much the 13th man, coming after the eight gym leaders and four Elite 4. This left him as the odd one out in the initial round, and had to be put into a spot which evened out the competition. You will notice however that his chances of winning are no greater than someone who has won in the initial round.

How will the selection process work? To get into the new POGL you must get into the Quarterfinals. Remember, this is not biased to coolking503; his chances of getting into the new POGL are only 50/50, as he must win. If you have any complaints with your battle (possibly due to extreme hax) you may re-battle, but please be serious and get the opponents consent.

Also try to complete the battles as soon as possible; we are on a deadline (roughly May 20th).
    Once more I’ll state that I’m sorry and please feel compelled to ask me any questions. Thanks
    Last edited by GengarEatBanana; 7th May 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

sparkl on, dargon slaer Fox Magician's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fox Magician On Twitter Add Fox Magician on Google+

Default Re: The POGL Official Announcment

Oh it's the only fair way I guess.

Blog Entries

Damn :/

Blog Entries

I know its late but is there any possibility to add me in? To get a fairer number? I'd like joining I guess.. I know its late.. sorry~

Blog Entries

No, I'm sorry Badal.
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Blog Entries

Um just who is my opponent? There is nobody under that username here.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

It's me, I changed my name

Blog Entries

No problem.

A tip: Use http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/www.challonge.com
    it'll make your life easier.

Blog Entries

Defeated Sylver Bullet.

GG.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

Very close game, good luck with the next matches.
    (luckily Ice and poison are neutral to each other)

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First off, i dont think we can have the same person as a wifi and po leader, but that can be worked out later when there are leader signups.

Second, albeit being biased, i think that i deserve a second chance battle in case of type disadvantages.

Lastly, now that this is permenantly official, can we change this to wifi instead of DW? Wifi is used more and the beta server doesnt allow DW pokemon in monotype tier. same with smogon. Some DW pokemon may never come out, so I think its more of a theoretical tier than a playable one. Finally, I believe we use Smogon tiers, and they don't have seperate tiers for DW, so its unbalanced.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Now with more cowbell. Axle Helios's Avatar
    Follow Axle Helios On Twitter
    Follow Axle Helios on Tumblr Visit Axle Helios's Youtube Channel

I'm pretty sure it's up to the leaders to choose which tier is allowed in their gyms. Or at least that's how it's been.

And also, will the results of this tournament affect the order of gyms, ie the Grandfinal winner will be the 8th gym?
    I got my claims down on Quagsire, Miror B, Roar and Sand Stream.
    Winner of Burned Planet Mafia and Plants vs Zombies Mafia.

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I mean for the tournament. If I play wifi and GEB plays DW (happened in tryouts), who gets the priority. In this case the DW would have to make a new team, which obviously is out of the question. However, Otherwise, the wifi player is at a huge disadvantage.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

ok i can drop out in that case since i wont have time to battle for like 2 weeks anyway
    Made by Shadow Raikou check him out ;)

Blog Entries

Ok, I'll edit the tournament schedule now. Thankyou Sublime and Sylver for getting that match done so quickly. And also to Alexandros002 for forfeiting.

Axle: Yes, or else a whole tournament would be kinda useless.

coolking: People are using their gym teams, which I gave them the choice to decide. If someone picked to use Wifi or Dream-World it was their decision, and I'm not going to change that.

EDIT: Badal, I checked it out but it doesn't have the second pool for the losers, so I'll just stick with this one. Thanks though
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast