PO team

Thread: PO team

Now with capital letter Pseudonym's Avatar

Default PO team

Recently, I've started going into PO and I'd like some suggestions for my team

Mienshao @ Regenerator
    Life Orb - Jolly Nature.
    4 HP / 252 Atk. / 252 Spd.

-Fake Out
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Taunt
    -U-turn

The common lead. Fake Out, then U-turn (or Hi Jump Kick; depends on the situation) for scouting and regenerating with Regenerator, effectively healing the Life Orb damage. Taunt in case other leads want to set up, but usually don't use it. Jolly is more useful since the need is outspeeding, the boosts in attack are already given by the life orb.

Archeops @ Defeatist
    Flight Gem - Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Acrobatics
    -Stone Edge
    -Hone Claws
    -Earthquake

Good team member; its defenses are so frail that Defeatist isn't a great problem. Acrobatics with Flight Gem usually OHKO except on type disadvantages, still taking a large chunk of HP. Stone Edge's shaky accuracy is improved by Hone Claws if I ever have the chance to use it, Earthquake for coverage since it's the only team member with it. Jolly nature to outspeed a lot of things in OU but barely; Adamant would give it more power but it'd get knocked out easier without the speed.

Stunfisk @ Static
    Absorb Bulb / Air Balloon - Modest Nature
    252 HP / 104 Def. / 152 SpD.

-Earth Power
    -Thunderbolt
    -Scald / Surf
    -Yawn

The status wall: Thunderbolt and Static may paralyze, Scald may burn and Yawn sleeps. Of course, Yawn is more of forcing switches if someone is at disadvantage: I have no entry hazards. T-bolt and Earth Power for STAB, Scald for the burn but I'm not sure if to replace it for Surf. I lrady have enough with paralysis and sleep. I'd appreciate some help with EV's since I don't know how to handle them in order to ensure Stunfisk survability. Also I don't know what item to use: Absorb Bulb increases my Sp. Attack if hit by a water type attack which'll anyway resist, but Air Balloon avoids me the super effective Earthquake.

Chandelure @ Flash Fire
    Ghost Gem - Timid Nature
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

-Flamethrower
    -Shadow Ball
    -Energy Ball
    -Flame Charge

Used for sweeping although not essential, pretty much a standard set except for Flame Charge which helps out with the speed problem in the switch; Ghost Gem went better since Fire Gem would be used in the Flame Charge (not intended for damage) and the Absorb Bulb that I was using activated once in a lifetime. At least its defensive 90's allow it to survive and Flame Charge, then do its job. Walled by Hydreigon, although I guess that's common to all Chandelure.

Durant @ Swarm
    Liechi Berry - Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

*X-Scissor
    *Iron Head
    *Crunch
    *Endure

Amazingly, this guy does wonders. It's amazing defense allows it to stand hits from various 'mons without fainting even without investment and its movepool actually can knockout something. Scizor is very common facing it and it can do nothing but switching due to lack of options, although the Endure / Liechi / Swarm / X- Scissor combo is quite good for boosting its chances of knocking out at least one Pokemon before submitting to priority. Its speed, however, has saved the ant more than once.

Slowbro @ Regenerator
    Leftovers - Modest Nature
    236 HP / 176 Def. / 96 SpD

-Calm Mind
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psyshock

Common Bro, with CM to boost the three attacking options, which go two for STAB and one for coverage: it's the only Ice move I have. Regenerator allows healing just like Mienshao although it wears off the CM boosts. Psyshock has helped me a couple of times with its defense effect, specially against other CM users.
    The path of a pseudo-champion.

SuBuWriMo total: 3588 words.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Default Re: PO team

I'm failry certain the Liechi Berry is unavailable outside of the Dream World tiers. Try Hustle as Durant's Ability with the moves Hone Claws, Iron Head, X-Scissor, and Stone Edge. Also, Stunfisk is weak to Water attacks, and Absorb Bulb doesn't provide immunity or resistence. Stunfisk in general shouldn't be used in what has to be an OU team (Mienshao and Chandelure are OU).
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

I'd suggest replacing Archeops with a Double Dance Terrakion. It has similar typing to Archeops, but it functions much more effectively in this metagame.

You appear to be fairly weak to Latios as well as specially-based, dragon-type attacks in general. A Specially Defensive Choice Band Scizor would help you alleviate this problem by giving you a safer switch-in to attacks such as Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor. Try using this Scizor in place of Durant.

Replace Chandelure's Ghost Gem with a Life Orb to give you a continual boost in power rather than a one-time benefit. The gems are rarely useful outside of double battles for this reason alone.

Your Slowbro seems a little odd. Try using a more standard Calm Mind set.

Here are the some suggested sets for your reference:

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Rock Polish
    - Swords Dance

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef (or 4 Spd if you care about beating other Slowbro)
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Slack Off

Finally, I'd strongly suggest taking a look at some recent usage statistics for BW OU on Smogon's server. Doing so will give you a better understanding of the nature of this metagame in its current state. Things like Stunfisk, Archeops, and Durant aren't really OU material.

Edit: I changed Psyshock to Psychic on Slowbro because it lets you beat BU Conkeldurr. Psyshock isn't really useful because you'll beat or nearly beat Reuniclus and lose to Roar + CM Latias either way.
    Last edited by g3rgni; 29th June 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Before I comment or make any changes, how has this team worked so far?
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Do I have to be the ℍEℝO? Valkyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seconding HH's suggestion to use Terrakion over Archeops. Slowbro wants T-Wave over Calm Mind to cripple switch-ins. Also, I'm going to be blunt here and say that Stunfisk is terrible, and shouldn't be used if you intend to win. I suggest replacing it with Poison Heal Gliscor. A Gliscor set from Kevin Garrett's RMT, Solum's Core, that I really like is:

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Taunt
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Swords Dance

It's fine/not stealing if you use it, since he posted the data for anyone to use and/or modify.

Blog Entries

Try Ferrothorn over Stunfisk, it'll give much better results.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    Seconding HH's suggestion to use Terrakion over Archeops. Slowbro wants T-Wave over Calm Mind to cripple switch-ins.
    Support Slowbro and CM Slowbro are two very different things. This team is much better with a CM variant because it can actually check CM Reuniclus, a Pokemon that otherwise eats this team for breakfast.

Blog Entries

Run Discharge over Tbolt on Stunfisk. Maybe you could also try Pain Split over Earth Power seeing as how it's meant to be bulky and it's his only recovery aside of Rest. Lefties is a better item too, imo. I don't see the other two accomplishing a whole lot.