OU trick room

Thread: OU trick room

Blog Entries

Default OU trick room

Hi, I am kind of new to competitive battling and while playing around with some teams I wanted to see if I can pull off a trick room team. I wanted to know a few things. First, do i have too many trick roomers on here? or too little? Reunclus and Bronzong are probably a given, seeing as I have seen them on so many other trick room team examples, but how is everyone else? is there a better alternative to Caracosta? Spiritomb's moveset is also not working for me (I just used one that I found on smogon), why are there so many rest/sleep talk sets? I have such horrible luck, anything else I can do better with it? Thanks!

Bronzong @ Macho Brace
    ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Earthquake
    - Gyro Ball
    - Hypnosis

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
    ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
    ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Escavalier (F) @ Leftovers
    ability: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - Return
    - Swords Dance

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
    ability: Mummy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Nasty Plot
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Carracosta (M) @ Choice Band
    ability: Solid Rock
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Jet
    Last edited by AshK; 25th January 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Default Re: OU trick room

I really like it, three its the normal quanty of trick roomers, Bronzong maybe can have Stealth Rock for Hypnosis, Reuniclus and Cofagrigus are great, if your Spiritomb just dont work for you, can try with another pokemon, like an defensive Jellicent with Recover, STAB water move, ice beam for the damn dragon's or wisp-o-will/taunt for blissey and that kind of shits; Tyranitar also is a good user of trick room, with overwhelming base attack, hp and defense, and good attack moveset, he can complement your team with STAB rock attack instead of Carracosta, a powerfull dark move (instead of Spiritomb) also can learn the elemental-fangs, dragon claw, aerial ace, etc etc

just my opinion, grettings
    White FC: 3267-8830-4041

Gym Leader of the Rock type gym, Fossil-Badge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaamoon View Post
    I really like it, three its the normal quanty of trick roomers, Bronzong maybe can have Stealth Rock for Hypnosis, Reuniclus and Cofagrigus are great, if your Spiritomb just dont work for you, can try with another pokemon, like an defensive Jellicent with Recover, STAB water move, ice beam for the damn dragon's or wisp-o-will/taunt for blissey and that kind of shits; Tyranitar also is a good user of trick room, with overwhelming base attack, hp and defense, and good attack moveset, he can complement your team with STAB rock attack instead of Carracosta, a powerfull dark move (instead of Spiritomb) also can learn the elemental-fangs, dragon claw, aerial ace, etc etc

Thanks for the suggestions. Jellicent and tyranitar are interesting ideas. Jellicent is such a troll when I have to go up against it (I haven't played long and I see it a lot) , especially defensive ones. I dunno about tyranitar's sandstream though because other then Reunclus it can slowly but surely damage my team. Tempting choice though since it is slow and powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by AshK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaamoon View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Jellicent and tyranitar are interesting ideas. Jellicent is such a troll when I have to go up against it (I haven't played long and I see it a lot) , especially defensive ones. I dunno about tyranitar's sandstream though because other then Reunclus it can slowly but surely damage my team. Tempting choice though since it is slow and powerful.
    maybe a DW Tyranitar without sandstorm :P
    White FC: 3267-8830-4041

Gym Leader of the Rock type gym, Fossil-Badge.

Blog Entries

my points

~ i think you should have at least one poke that doesn't abuse trick room. it wears off after a few turns, and then you're stuck with all these slow pokemon.

~all the EVs make sense, so thats fine

~all natures make sense, so thats fine

~trick room abusers usually have 1 speed EV (cause i don't think you can have 0) to ensure slowness. since i can't tell, i'd thought i'd mention it.

Thanks to Extroph on serebii forums for the banner!

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you can try porygon-2 if you need another trick roomer instead of spiritomb and cofagrigious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

oh yeah. I'm assuming that commander is talking about trollygon.

TRICK ROOM
    porygon2@eviolite
    252 hp/252 SpA/4 Spe
    ability: trace/download
    nature: quiet
    ~trick room shadow ball / psychic / tri-attack
    ~thunderbolt
    ~ice beam
    ~recover
    0 speed IVs

seeing as to the fact that you already have pokes to set up trick room, you might as well drop trick room for another attack. i think the best choices there are either shadow ball, psychic, or tri-attack. I'm leaning towards tri-attack because of STAB

this is one of the smogon sets, i just copied it. thanks from commandurr for the idea, just trying to make it easier. feel free to correct me wherever possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soulless shadow View Post

TRICK ROOM
    porygon2@eviolite
    252 hp/252 SpA/4 Spe
    ~thunderbolt
    ~ice beam
    ~recover
    0 speed IVs

seeing as to the fact that you already have pokes to set up trick room, you might as well drop trick room for another attack. i think the best choices there are either shadow ball, psychic, or tri-attack. I'm leaning towards tri-attack because of STAB

this is one of the smogon sets, i just copied it. thanks from commandurr for the idea, just trying to make it easier. feel free to correct me wherever possible.
    I would suggest keeping trick room. Trollygon(nice name) is arguably one of the bulkiest trcikroomers. It can easily replace cofagrigious, who imo isn't that good.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post

TRICK ROOM
    porygon2@eviolite
    252 hp/252 SpA/4 Spe
    ~thunderbolt
    ~ice beam
    ~recover
    0 speed IVs

I would suggest keeping trick room. Trollygon(nice name) is arguably one of the bulkiest trcikroomers. It can easily replace cofagrigious, who imo isn't that good.
    i didn't come up with the name trollygon. i am an extremely active member on serebii, and thats what the stall set is called actually. i personally thought this was just as bad.

Blog Entries

TRICK ROOM
    porygon2@eviolite
    252 hp/252 SpA/4 Spe
    ~thunderbolt
    ~ice beam
    ~recover
    0 speed IVs

i didn't come up with the name trollygon. i am an extremely active member on serebii, and thats what the stall set is called actually. i personally thought this was just as bad.
    Thanks for the porygon-2 suggestion. I never thought of that, and with eviolite its quite hard to take down too .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshK View Post

TRICK ROOM
    porygon2@eviolite
    252 hp/252 SpA/4 Spe
    ~thunderbolt
    ~ice beam
    ~recover
    0 speed IVs

Thanks for the porygon-2 suggestion. I never thought of that, and with eviolite its quite hard to take down too .
    yes, and with a moveset of tr/ bolt beam and recover, you can even defeat stuff like Gyarados, etc with the ability trace.

Escavalier's Return can go for Pursuit. For one, it adds to coverage. And for another point, it allows you to 'lock' certain Pokemon from fleeing.

Also, I don't know if this would be useful, but there's Conkeldurr for a physical sweeper. It has massive Attack, Defence, and HP, plus it's slow which would make it a great player in the Trick Room environment. It also has priority in the form of Mach Punch allowing it to revenge kill effectively even without being fast. Here's my advice, but I could make mistakes so I apologize in advance:

Conkeldurr
    Item: Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    EV: I don't know, really. Maybe 252 / 252 / 4 on HP / Attack / Def respectively. Or you can go for maximum Attack and Spec. Def. to make it more solid overall.
    Moveset:
    Bulk Up - This allows Conkeldurr to further enhance its behemoth Attack and Defence. Especially useful if you use a Spec. Def variant
    Drain Punch / Superpower / Hammer Arm - Drain Punch allows Conkeldurr to recover HP. This is very appreciated as residual damage can wear it down. Superpower is a more offensive move, which, after one Bulk Up, becomes very powerful, but voids out the boost from Bulk Up afterwards(in other words, this move lowers your Attack and Def). Last, there is Hammer Arm. Perhaps a more reliable move than Superpower, which does not lower your Attack and Def, but rather Speed. Speed isn't really a needed stat, since Conkeldurr is naturally slow and will outspeed barely anything, plus you're running Trick Room so the Speed drop could actually be useful.
    Stone Edge - Basically a coverage move with great power. Allows Conkeldurr to hit Flying types.
    Payback - Seemingly weak and useless since Conkeldurr is likely to go first in a Trick Room, one must remember this is booster by Guts so it's still viable. This move is for hitting Psychic and Ghost types.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2752 | 2583 | 3814

Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Just some things to say about that Conkeldurr set.

For Conk, I wouldn't suggest a Flame Orb. Leftovers work way better in the long run, and if you're carrying a Flame Orb, you absolutely need to go with Drain Punch. In addition, it could be better to use Stone Edge over Rock Slide if you prefer the accuracy, not to mention the flinch change that comes with being slow. If you go with Rock Slide though, I'd suggest Hammer Arm if you want to make that flinch chance a bit more abusable.

I'd also like to say that team in the first post is weak to fire twice, and weak to Ghost and Dark twice as well. Just in case something like that matters.

(20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?

(17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

[15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods