The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread

Lord of Chaos

Default Re: The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LadyScathach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus_II View Post

So, not the Hidden Power Rock? I mean, it does hit Fire and Flying super effectively, both of which are Amoonguss's main counters. And for Pokemon immune to Leech Seed, there's always Giga Drain, though I can see how Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb could destroy Grass-type checkers.
    Giga won't hit grass types hard.

And for Flying and Fire checks, your best bet is a switch.
    Eh, fair enough-Spore can cover me for that.

I have a Glaceon lv 82 with blizzard, shadow ball, hidden power (psychic)and frost breath.
    I'm going into a state tournament in 2 weeks with this as a main member.

Hi, I'm thinking of making a physical sweeper Simisear. I'm trying hard not to look at what Smogon has as this will ruin it for me, I don't like copying off tried and trusted ideas as that is boring.

With only 70 base power Fire Punch is as good as it gets for him as a physical STAB move. I would actually prefer the weaker Flame Charge for the guaranteed speed boost. Whereas if it was going to be a special attacker it can access Fire Blast or Overheat which are much more powerful...

I don't have a moveset yet obviously but is this viable, even if no moves have above 100 base power?
    Black 2: Paul 3569 3717 2805
    White: Repulse 3440 4602 6694

Sure it's viable, a set like Flame Charge, Fire Punch, Superpower, and a coverage move like Shadow Claw, Return or the likes can do well. Or you could go for a special Flame Charge set though, with Flame Charge boosting it's speed, and then using Flamethrower/Fire Blast and the more powerful special attacking moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Flame View Post
    Sure it's viable, a set like Flame Charge, Fire Punch, Superpower, and a coverage move like Shadow Claw, Return or the likes can do well. Or you could go for a special Flame Charge set though, with Flame Charge boosting it's speed, and then using Flamethrower/Fire Blast and the more powerful special attacking moves.
    Oh okay. I was thinking of leaving one slot for a support move like Bulk Up/Work up/Hone Claws. I would like SUperpower but will have to go with something else as I don't have BW2 to tutor that move. Thanks for your input.
    Black 2: Paul 3569 3717 2805
    White: Repulse 3440 4602 6694

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

Breloom @ Focus Sash | Technician
    Adamant | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Spore | Stun Spore | Mach Punch | Bullet Seed

Everyone uses Spore on Breloom - well, not everyone, but I'm almost convinced that 99% of reputable players use a sleeping move on Breloom. After all, it's the foremost reason to use the fungus. One thing that I don't think people realize about Breloom, though, is that it also gets Stun Spore - using the two support moves together means that Breloom has a chance of crippling not only one, but two Pokemon on the opponent's team. Naturally, Stun Spore isn't necessarily superior to the other options at Breloom's disposal, namely Swords Dance, Force Palm, and Low Sweep - even Stone Edge could serve as a more reliable option than Stun Spore.

Stun Spore is really a situational option, but I thought it might be an interesting idea.

Edit: After having tested this set in about forty battles, I'm going to have to say this isn't a good idea. Even though double powder Breloom is novel and ostensibly appealing option, in my opinion, it simply doesn't perform consistently enough to be worth using. It's possible that I might be biased, though; Stun Spore's mediocre 75% accuracy made a lot of matches more difficult for me than they should have been, and my team made Stun Spore totally unnecessary (it was literally Landorus-T + three priority users + a TWaver + a Scarfer). However, I feel like this Breloom just isn't cut out to reliably paralyze even one Pokemon. If you really want paralysis on your Breloom, stick to Force Palm and Spore. You'll get a lot more mileage out of it that way.
    Last edited by scheisskopf; 19th July 2013 at 03:11 PM.

Hey! I can't seem to find any info about this tactic, but I'm sure it's been tried before. I don't do a lot of competitive battling, but this thing has been pretty effective as a mid-battle resource as my friends are doing more and more battling.

Spiritomb (Crane Wife)
    (F) @ Lum Berry
    Pressure
    Evs: 170 HP, 170 Def, 170 SpD
    Bold nature
    -Spite
    -Imprison
    -Torment
    -Rest

The tactic here (obviously) is to out PP the other team, especially pokemon with big, hard hitting moves that only have a few shots in them and with rest and a lack of weakness, she's pretty ready to do that. I might use taunt instead of imprison, but I don't want someone else to have Rest. It's usually followed by a sweeper (like Tyrantar) after the other team is out of PP. I'm toying with using Wonder Room before, as the speed stat is particularly low.
    Thoughts? Is there another tread talking about this somewhere else on the net?

The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A personal favourate of mine is my Lucario lead.

Jolly
    252 attack 252 speed 4 hp
    Focus Sash

Close combat
    Extreme speed
    Swords dance
    Crunch/Ice Punch (I vary this often)

I find this to be an incredible offensive opener, the sash gives it a chance for a SD boosted Extreme speed on anything, and a boosted CC on set up leads. I stil haven't quite decided on crunch or ice punch, Crunch is obviously useful for ghost leads, but Ice punch KOs a dragonite after a SD.
    Anyway, let me know what you think :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Spiritomb View Post
    Hey! I can't seem to find any info about this tactic, but I'm sure it's been tried before. I don't do a lot of competitive battling, but this thing has been pretty effective as a mid-battle resource as my friends are doing more and more battling.

Spiritomb (Crane Wife)
    (F) @ Lum Berry
    Pressure
    Evs: 170 HP, 170 Def, 170 SpD
    Bold nature
    -Spite
    -Imprison
    -Torment
    -Rest

The tactic here (obviously) is to out PP the other team, especially pokemon with big, hard hitting moves that only have a few shots in them and with rest and a lack of weakness, she's pretty ready to do that. I might use taunt instead of imprison, but I don't want someone else to have Rest. It's usually followed by a sweeper (like Tyrantar) after the other team is out of PP. I'm toying with using Wonder Room before, as the speed stat is particularly low.
    Thoughts? Is there another tread talking about this somewhere else on the net?
    Your Spiritomb should have an attacking move, or else Taunt will be an issue. You should choose an STAB from which attacking stat is higher.

Blog Entries

Would anyone like to rate my Regice?

Regice
    Ability: Clear Body
    Bashful nature
    Holds the Quick Claw
    EVs: 4 Defense, 252 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense

-Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder Wave
    -Hidden Power Water (power 59)

Despite the defensive EVs, this is mostly an offensive Regice exploiting its defense to keeping on scoring knockouts. I think it's useful ingame, ( I can't connect to Wi-Fi, my internet is incompatible with Pokemon games) but I would like to see what everyone thinks.
    Last edited by Jdog1020; 24th July 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog1020 View Post

Your Spiritomb should have an attacking move, or else Taunt will be an issue. You should choose an STAB from which attacking stat is higher.
    Thanks. I guess Imprison is out, and, because my atk/ Sp.A stats are low, I'm thinking about Foul Play, which should bypass most of that and isn't ghost type, so it will work (barely) against Normal

@The_Spiritomb

I've never heard of Imprison being used competitively. To me it is one of those moves like Thief or Recycle, which seem nifty and strategic in theory, but in practice you just can't afford to waste a moveslot on them. Because then you might be KO'd before you've even began your main assault. Same with Spite as well, maybe. Although, PP loss is permanent (i.e. you can't undo it by switching out, unlike the effects of Imprison and things like confusion and stat changes).

---

I want to train a Whimsicott but I am not sure about the EV spread. I don't want to look at what Smogon has because I like my Pokemon to have personal touches instead of copying off a template. I was thinking this moveset as a Bulky Special Sweeper:

Ability: Prankster
    *Encore
    *Giga Drain/Energy Ball
    *Hurricane
    *Psychic/Leech Seed

With Prankster, I can make doubly sure that Encore will work properly. e.g. opponent uses grass type move to wipe out my water Pokemon, I send out Whimsicott, and Encore opponent to use only NFE grass moves or force a switch out. I'm not sure about having three different special attacks, or having Leech Seed on my moveset. Because of Prankster I won't need to invest in Speed EVS as moving first won't be desperately important if the opponent is Encored or I am supported by Leech Seed. So maybe something like 252 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense, 4 HP? Base Defense is already quite good, hence the Special Defense focus.

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zblue24 View Post
    @The_Spiritomb

I've never heard of Imprison being used competitively. To me it is one of those moves like Thief or Recycle, which seem nifty and strategic in theory, but in practice you just can't afford to waste a moveslot on them. Because then you might be KO'd before you've even began your main assault. Same with Spite as well, maybe. Although, PP loss is permanent (i.e. you can't undo it by switching out, unlike the effects of Imprison and things like confusion and stat changes)..
    it's somewhat gimmicky, but it could potentially be used on like... landorus-t or something with like stealth rock / imprison / eq / hp ice. it's also a lot better than you'd expect in vgc, too. it's not a good move in most situations because it's extremely situational, but when it works, you pretty much shut down your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by zblue24 View Post
    @
    ---

I want to train a Whimsicott but I am not sure about the EV spread. I don't want to look at what Smogon has because I like my Pokemon to have personal touches instead of copying off a template. I was thinking this moveset as a Bulky Special Sweeper:

Ability: Prankster
    *Encore
    *Giga Drain/Energy Ball
    *Hurricane
    *Psychic/Leech Seed

With Prankster, I can make doubly sure that Encore will work properly. e.g. opponent uses grass type move to wipe out my water Pokemon, I send out Whimsicott, and Encore opponent to use only NFE grass moves or force a switch out. I'm not sure about having three different special attacks, or having Leech Seed on my moveset. Because of Prankster I won't need to invest in Speed EVS as moving first won't be desperately important if the opponent is Encored or I am supported by Leech Seed. So maybe something like 252 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense, 4 HP? Base Defense is already quite good, hence the Special Defense focus.
    whimsicott is one of the best subseeder in the game use this
    whimsicott @ leftovers prankster
    nature: bold
    evs: 252 hp 252 def 4spD
    protect
    leech seed
    substitute
    encore

or just use i different ability with the sweeper
    Last edited by magikarp ftw; 12th August 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^

Wigglytuff
    Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
    104 ATK, 252 DEF, 152 SPDEF
    Leftovers

Dynamic Punch
    Hyper Voice
    Blizzard/Thunder
    Heal Bell

I haven't got all those moves on it yet. But regardless, this was a complete disappointment. I haven't used Wiggly before but I expected it to be a bulky wall like Blissey but to a lesser extent. I know Wiggly is apparently the worst out of Clefable and Blissey but I prefer using NU Pokemon and Wigglytuff is one of my favourites. This Wiggly I bred has a perfect Attack IV and the rest of the IVs are average to above average-high. So I knew the base 45 Defense had to be maximised, so I gave it a Relaxed nature and 252 EVs in Def. Since most Fighting type moves are physical. I gave it 152 EVS in Special Def since Special attacks are less likely to be used against it. Then, to go with my strategy, 104 EVS to boost Attack.

The Strategy was meant to be a basic Wall and Cleric with mixed attacking power (ATK + SPATK moves) to chip away at the opponent. Drain Punch seemed perfect as it would recover some of Wigglys lost HP. Hyper Voice for STAB, and a strong 120 base power attack like Thunder or Blizzard.

How wrong was I. I tested it in the Battle Subway. It came up a against a Mienfoo. Mienfoo uses Jump Kick...Wigglytuff loses 90% OF HP! And it's not even a critical hit! A little Mienfoo...on the Battle Subway...non EV trained...against over 200 HP and over 100 Defense on Wigglytuff. Yes, I know Fighting is supereffective against Normal. But still. I expected a move like Jump Kick to only do 30% or less. So that was it... No point using Drain Punch as it wouldn't recover near enough HP to survive another hit. Useless. I was looking forward to this Pokemon.

Subsequent battles, even against normal effective moves, Wigglytuff couldn't keep up. What went wrong?

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast