Quote Originally Posted by chaos_Leader View Post
    Aggron@Assault Vest
    Rock Head
    Careful
    252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpDef

Head Smash
    Double Edge
    Iron Head
    Curse, but it will be something else if I stick with the Assault Vest.

Well, this is an Aggron built to pummel the ever loving crap out of whatever it finds in front of it. I was really interested in utilizing the Rock Head ability with some recoil moves. In my testing so far, Head Smash has been particularly hilariously destructive. Aggron already comes with such staggeringly high physical defense that it can endure even a lot of those 4x super-effective moves, provided they're physical. The real quandary with this Aggron is what to do about that dismal special defense to keep it in the fight.

Currently this Aggron has an assault vest and beneficial nature to its SpDef, but only 4 EVs invested in SpDef. The question here is whether to do anything more/something else for that SpDef: Is it a good idea to invest some more EVs into its SpDef, and at the expense of what? If the Assault vest is ditched, what should go in its place? If I keep the vest, what move should replace Curse?
    First of all switch SpDef EVs with the Attack (SpDef 252, Atk 4) because there is really no point of using a Wall without max in one of the Defences (plus there is more boost with the AV). If AV was ditched, I would go for Leftovers. If you kept AV, go for Earthquake.
    Glaltite
    Friend code:0061-0809-4165 trainer name:Hayden Player in the BBL
    Clamer of now Groudon. Also claims Thousand Arrows, most likely Zygarde's move.

Stupid character limit fo AnybodyAgrees's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread

Use Lefties with either Rock Polish over Curse or provide SW support and use EQ over Curse.
    Or you could just slap on a band and call it a day.

I've given in to the dark side sand started using a SwagPard recently, albeit with a few differences that make it a bit less luck reliant and more of a team player.

Liepard@Focus Sash
    Prankster
    Jolly
    138 HP/60 Def/60 Sp.Def/252 Spe (this might look weird, but Liepard's defences are so bad that investing in them actually gives more bulk than just dumping all your points in HP)
    -Swagger
    -Foul Play
    -Encore
    -U-Turn

The set is kind of a hybrid between the standard swagplay Liepard and a momentum gaining set that was popular in NU last gen. Liepard is the only Pokemon with the combination of priority Encore and U-Turn, and a set that capitalises on that helps it differentiate itself from Klefki, who pulls off that infuriating Swagger+Thunder Wave+Sub bullshit better imo.

Rather than hax your way through teams the idea is more to steal momentum by forcing switches and then U-turning to the appropriate counter. The threat of Foul Play will force confused opponents to switch more often than not, giving you a chance to force a good match-up. If you predict well, you can also lock enemies into setup or non-attacking moves and respond accordingly. The set is designed for 3v3 battle spot where keeping a sash intact is easier, but it could also function well in standard singles if you can keep hazards clear (and you'll definitely want your own hazards to capitalise on the forced switches).

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    I've given in to the dark side sand started using a SwagPard recently, albeit with a few differences that make it a bit less luck reliant and more of a team player.

Liepard@Focus Sash
    Prankster
    Jolly
    138 HP/60 Def/60 Sp.Def/252 Spe (this might look weird, but Liepard's defences are so bad that investing in them actually gives more bulk than just dumping all your points in HP)
    -Swagger
    -Foul Play
    -Encore
    -U-Turn

The set is kind of a hybrid between the standard swagplay Liepard and a momentum gaining set that was popular in NU last gen. Liepard is the only Pokemon with the combination of priority Encore and U-Turn, and a set that capitalises on that helps it differentiate itself from Klefki, who pulls off that infuriating Swagger+Thunder Wave+Sub bullshit better imo.

Rather than hax your way through teams the idea is more to steal momentum by forcing switches and then U-turning to the appropriate counter. The threat of Foul Play will force confused opponents to switch more often than not, giving you a chance to force a good match-up. If you predict well, you can also lock enemies into setup or non-attacking moves and respond accordingly. The set is designed for 3v3 battle spot where keeping a sash intact is easier, but it could also function well in standard singles if you can keep hazards clear (and you'll definitely want your own hazards to capitalise on the forced switches).
    Won't function very well in standard considering it's banned :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Glory Blaze- View Post

Liepard@Focus Sash
    Prankster
    Jolly
    -Swagger
    -Foul Play
    -Encore
    -U-Turn

Said 3v3 though. I'd be more worried about Liepard being frail. Just about any Priority has a chance to take it out, with or without investment.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TerraTF View Post

Liepard@Focus Sash
    Prankster
    Jolly
    -Swagger
    -Foul Play
    -Encore
    -U-Turn

Said 3v3 though. I'd be more worried about Liepard being frail. Just about any Priority has a chance to take it out, with or without investment.
    Emphasis mine. I won't dispute that it'll be annoying af in Battle Spot, I bred up a Swagpard myself for my gym but never got to use it before the ban.

THE TOAD/SPY IS BACK!!!!! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been using this one really well:

Gogoat @Big Root
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk

Moves:
    Horn Leech
    Brick Break/Substitute
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up

This is a wall Gogoat. The idea is to use Bulk Up one or two times and then use Horn Leech and heal. Rock Slide is there for coverage(it covers most of Gogoats weaknesses). I have Brick Break instead of Sub(even though Sub might be better for walling)because Gogpat gets completely walled by other Grass types with Sap Sipper anyways.
    You know you are followed...
    You know you are seen...
    You know that your secrets are revealed...
    You know that he is close...
    You know that you can not catch him...
    You know who he is...
    ...the Spypitoad...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spypitoad View Post

Gogoat @Big Root
    252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk

Moves:
    Horn Leech
    Brick Break/Substitute
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up

This is a wall Gogoat. The idea is to use Bulk Up one or two times and then use Horn Leech and heal. Rock Slide is there for coverage(it covers most of Gogoats weaknesses). I have Brick Break instead of Sub(even though Sub might be better for walling)because Gogpat gets completely walled by other Grass types with Sap Sipper anyways.
    Big Root sort of sucks in general. Use Leftovers for more consistent recovery (and Milk Drink can be used over Substitute to gain tons of longevity if you don't mind losing some coverage)

THE TOAD/SPY IS BACK!!!!! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gogoat @Big Root
    252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk

Moves:
    Horn Leech
    Brick Break/Substitute
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up

Big Root sort of sucks in general. Use Leftovers for more consistent recovery (and Milk Drink can be used over Substitute to gain tons of longevity if you don't mind losing some coverage)
    But since I focus on Horn Leech, Big Root could be a good idea? I replaced Brick Break with Aerial Ace to counter Sap Sipper Grass types.
    You know you are followed...
    You know you are seen...
    You know that your secrets are revealed...
    You know that he is close...
    You know that you can not catch him...
    You know who he is...
    ...the Spypitoad...

Leftovers guarantees you'll be recovering every turn (regardless of what you do) whereas Big Root only activates when you use Horn Leech. The bonus recovery you get from Big Root hardly offsets what you'd be gaining if you're holding Leftovers. From crunching numbers you'd have to be dealing 180+ damage each turn for Big Root/Horn Leech to equal Leftovers recovery with max HP investment at level 100.

It'd be nice though if Big Root also increased damage dealt from health-sapping moves. :/
    Last edited by sharkshocker; 10th May 2014 at 04:08 PM.
    The Inverse Battle Tournament is underway!

Bulbagarden Battle League is closed until ORAS' release.

Gogoat @Big Root
    252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk

Moves:
    Horn Leech
    Brick Break/Substitute
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up

But since I focus on Horn Leech, Big Root could be a good idea? I replaced Brick Break with Aerial Ace to counter Sap Sipper Grass types.
    As said by others, leftovers gives you better recovery anyway, so unless there's a reason why it's physically not possible to use leftovers, it would be better than big root. If you only have one leftovers in-game, you can get more with level 100 pickup users. Enjoy training. ;)

Also, bear in mind that aerial ace is sort of terrible, so it'd be better to just go for another attack, or substitute or milk drink. Probably milk drink, actually, since any wall needs reliable recovery. The point is, if aerial ace is the best coverage move you can get, forget it. Sap sipper's quite rare, and I can't think of any users off the top of my head which aren't hit at least neutrally by rock slide.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

Blog Entries

So I just got a Diancie and I'm pretty eager to use it, but I'm unsure about what stat I should be training for it. I'm confused as to which would be more beneficial for it: Max HP or maxxing one of its defenses since it has a pretty low HP stat, but amazing defenses. It has a perfect IV in HP if that helps~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    So I just got a Diancie and I'm pretty eager to use it, but I'm unsure about what stat I should be training for it. I'm confused as to which would be more beneficial for it: Max HP or maxxing one of its defenses since it has a pretty low HP stat, but amazing defenses. It has a perfect IV in HP if that helps~
    The low base HP means that it's even more imperative that you max HP first. There are literally only 2 times you'd ever want to max 1/both Defenses without first maxing HP: You're using Chansey (technically this applies to Blissey, also, but... why would you use Blissey :P) or you're using certain Assault Vest Pokemon like Conkeldurr or Tentacruel. Anyways, here you go: Pokémon - Diancie | Smogon Forums

Some of the sets in there will probably be garbage but you should be able to get some pretty good ideas.

Blog Entries

The low base HP means that it's even more imperative that you max HP first. There are literally only 2 times you'd ever want to max 1/both Defenses without first maxing HP: You're using Chansey (technically this applies to Blissey, also, but... why would you use Blissey :P) or you're using certain Assault Vest Pokemon like Conkeldurr or Tentacruel. Anyaways, here you go: Pokémon - Diancie | Smogon Forums

Some of the sets in there will probbly be grabafe but you should be able to get some pretty good ideas.
    Alright, thanks for the help~

Blog Entries

Back again, once again. Now I'm trying to train up a Tyranitar. I bred an Adamant Larvitar and I'm wondering what the most beneficial EV spread for Tyranitar is. Maxx HP and Attack is what I was thinking. And while I'm at it, what would be the best item to give it? I'm not planning to use Mega Tyranitar, as I already have a Mega on the team I'm trying to make.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast