New OU Sand Team

Thread: New OU Sand Team

Blog Entries

Default New OU Sand Team

So, some of you may remember my old sand team, and my tries at a stall team. Both of those have ended up fairly well, and I was pleased with the results. However, after running a non-weather stall team, I became disappointed with Mandibuzz's defensive stats, and sought out a replacement. I found one in bulk up scrafty, thereby adding much-needed special bulk to the team, as well as a solid defense, once she gets a bulk up or two. Also, after my OU stall team, I discovered that I enjoyed playing stall (or at least a bulky offense) more than purely offensive. Thus, I decided to reorient my sand team to become more defensive, while still keeping offensive pressure. Thus, Tyranitar was switched out for Hippowdon, a more defensive than offensive sand summoner. Not much else has changed, as Forretress' set works better on a defensive team anyways, and Gastrodon and Heatran still serve as spectacular weather counters, and Metagross serves as my answer to many pokes which otherwise threaten my team. So, without further ado, I present my Sand team, MK II!

Goron [Forretress]@Leftovers
    Sassy Nature
    Sturdy
    252/0/4/0/252
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Volt Switch

Forretress serves as my hazards setup, spinner, and often, death fodder when needed. Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes provide great residual damage, which is wonderful for a stall team, and sets up Hippowdon for some Roar shenanigans, spreading poison and hazard damage.

Anybodys [Scrafty]@Leftovers
    Careful Nature
    Shed Skin
    252/8/0/0/248/0
    -Bulk Up
    -Drain Punch
    -Crunch
    -Rest

Now, as I mentioned above in the preface, Scrafty enters the team as my most specially bulky member, and after only 2 bulk ups, her attack rockets into the mid 400's, and her defense sits quite comfortably just above 500. At this point, Drain Punch and Crunch are more than useable, and Scrafty can start wreaking havoc. Granted, her speed is mediocre at best, and I need to be careful not to waltz into a close combat, or something similar from anything until I get a couple of Bulk Ups.

Susan [Gastrodon]@Wise Glasses
    Modest Nature
    Storm Drain
    240/0/0/252/16/0
    -Recover
    -Surf
    -Earth Power
    -Ice Beam

Gastrodon serves as my main check against common rain attacks such as Super-Boosted water moves (read: scald, waterfall, hydro pump), and Thunders, both of which she takes with no negative effects. However, she doesn't like being statused

Heatran@Air Balloon
    Modest Nature
    Flash Fire
    0/0/0/252/4/252
    -Flamethrower
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Earth Power
    -HP Grass

Heatran normally leads off against opposing Rain and Sun teams, as it gives me enough momentum, and surpise factor to hopefully kibosh the opponent's weather summoner. The rest is actually a pretty standard Special attacking set. May swap this for a Spec. Defensive Heatran, to try and abuse rocks and T-Spikes more, but for now I enjoy my current Heatran

Ramses III [Hippowdon]@Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    Sand Stream
    252/0/248/0/12/0
    -EQ
    -Ice Fang
    -Slack Off
    -Roar

Well, as I mentioned, Hippowdon serves as a more defensive pivot to the team than the power-hitting Tyranitar. With his gargantuan health, he can normally sponge off at least one hit, regardless of which stat it targets, and be able to retaliate with Ice Fang or EQ, or alternately to roar it out.

Gigas [Metagross]@Occa Berry
    Adamant Nature
    Clear Body
    252/252/0/0/0/4
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Hammer Arm

I run what I like to think is a fairly unique Metagross set. It's really just a stealth rock set with Zen Headbutt instead of Stealths, but it works wonderfully. It hits like a truck, and Metagross' natural bulk, assisted by a healthy HP investment does the rest.

One thing this team really has a vulnerability to is special attackers. Hippowdon can't tank more than one solid special hit, and Forretress, despite running a SpDef set, can only take so much. Fortunately, a former headache of mine, clorophyll Venusaur, can be shut down by either Gigas or Ramses. But, that's one out of many. Overall, I like the team, but I realize that it could probably do with some fine tuning. Anyways, if peeps could help me work out any kinks they see, i'd be much appreciative.

NO SPIN TOPS!!

Default Re: New OU Sand Team

I like the looks of this Sand Team. Very Nice.

Blog Entries

Thanks, any suggestions on things to change?

I choose.... WarGreyMon Professor Jacel's Avatar

I feel as I must battle this sand Team it looks superboss and I honestly do not see much you would need to change!

Everything is great looking Especially your Bulk UP Scrafty. I love running him as well.

I suppose if some one was Trying to status you alot you Could run Aroma Therapy or heal bell but know one on your team could learn it. You should be fine anyways. Any Toxic or Will-o-Wisps your Heatran can easily counter.

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

One of the few/only sand team's I've ever seen without Tyranitar. I don't see too many common weaknesses, A rain ludicolo has potential to damage the team but you have enough to hold your own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    One of the few/only sand team's I've ever seen without Tyranitar. I don't see too many common weaknesses, A rain ludicolo has potential to damage the team but you have enough to hold your own.
    Thanks. My choice of Hippowdon over Tyranitar is due to my wanting this team to be more defensively oriented, as I've stated. I see how a rain team might get some edges, but I agree that I could work my way out of it with the proper playing of my current resources. Any suggestions on things to change/edit?

Well if you wanted to Run a good Rain Team check just so you know you would not get overwhelmed by it You could always have a Rain Team check. Like Jolteon? Or a Dry Skin Toxicroak. This way if they try it you have an advantage. I do know know who you would want to switch though. Perhaps Gastrodon?

Also Dry Skin Toxicroak could hold Black Sludge Protecting you from Trick Users. Like a Choice Scarfer or Something. So if they did it they Now have an Item that damages them and they would be forced to Trick again or just take the Damage and try to keep up with your Super Fast Drain Punching Toxicroak that is healing thanks to Dry Skin.

Blog Entries

I like Toxicroak, although the dry skin part is a little too situational for me as a rain counter. I'll need to try playing against more rain teams to gauge my effectiveness in coping with them. Susan's a major boon when dealing with rain, though, because of Storm Drain. Heatran also puts me in a surprisingly advantageous position as well, due to HP Grass.

Well if you ever want to you can always battle my Rain Team. I would be happy to help you test your team out against it.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have you tried a CB metagross with trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    Have you tried a CB metagross with trick?
    I haven't, only because of my massive satisfaction with Gigas' current set. I looked it up, though, and I may try repurposing one of my other Metagrosses to be a CB-Trick set, to alternate with Gigas.

Hello, nice team.
    If Thunderous-T is carrying Grass Knot (which more and more are) and your Forretress is on low health, it can put you in big trouble.
    Change Wise Glasses on Gastrodon to leftovers. Gastrodon relies heavily on it's bulk and wise glasses are a generally awful item. Also, run either Life Orb or Leftovers on Metagross. The only reason to run Occa Berry is of your team has a problem with Heatran but Gastrodon and your own Heatran can deal with it fine.
    Hippowdon should also be running Whilwind over Ice Fang (otherwise it is setup bait).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Hello, nice team.
    If Thunderous-T is carrying Grass Knot (which more and more are) and your Forretress is on low health, it can put you in big trouble.
    Change Wise Glasses on Gastrodon to leftovers. Gastrodon relies heavily on it's bulk and wise glasses are a generally awful item. Also, run either Life Orb or Leftovers on Metagross. The only reason to run Occa Berry is of your team has a problem with Heatran but Gastrodon and your own Heatran can deal with it fine.
    Hippowdon should also be running Whilwind over Ice Fang (otherwise it is setup bait).
    I'll definitely swap over to lefties on Gastro. Occa on Meta is actually more useful than you'd think. It allows me to revenge kill against Heatran, which I hesitate to send Gastro out against because of HP grass, which is fairly common, as far as i'm aware, and I hesitate to think of my own Heatran as a counter to, because I'm betting against a speed tie, at best, and the Air Balloon is a pain to preserve.

And I question the use of Whirlwind over Ice Fang because Hippowdon already carries roar. I could understand if you were recommending Stealth Rock, in order to take pressure off of Goron for setup, but, anyways.

And thanks for the advice!

Sorry, I misread the set. Give Hippowdon Stealth Rocks over Ice Fang and give Forretress Spikes over Stealth Rocks. You should also change Roar to Whirlwind in the case of soundproof whee roar is ineffective (Mr.Mime).