Need Help With First Pokemon Team

Thread: Need Help With First Pokemon Team

Cult of Personality ClearlySane88's Avatar

Default Need Help With First Pokemon Team

Okay, I'm trying to put together my first ever OU team for Pokemon battles, but I'm not sure if what I'm putting together will work very well. Below is what I have so far.

Cloyster
    Item: King's Rock
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Skill Link
    EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 Speed
    Moves: Shell Smash, Icicle Spear, Spikes and Hydro Pump

Blissey
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP/252 DEF/252 Speed
    Moves: Wish, Soft Boiled, Seismec Toss, Toxic

Gengar
    Item: Black Sludge
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
    Moves: Disable, Substitute, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast

Starmie
    Item: Unsure Yet
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP/32 Def/228 Speed
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Scald, Thunderbolt, Recover

Gyrados
    Item: Lum Berry
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 ATK/4 DEF/252 Speed
    Moves: Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Bounce, Earthquake

Politoad
    Item: Unsure Yet
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP/252 DEF/4 Speed
    Moves: Scald, Encore, Protect, Hypnosis

Now, I'm thinking of maybe dropping Politoad and replacing him with Tentacruel, as I don't really have access to one with Drizzle as an ability and it will take a while for me to open up the area in the Dream World I need to get him and because it seems like Tentacruel would do better as a Rain Dance Supporter (or maybe I'm wrong, I don't really know). Also, I'm thinking of maybe replacing Gyrados with Scizor so that my team doesn't get completely owned by Electric Types. What do you think? Is this a good setup? Would I be better off with the Tentacruel and Scizor that I mentioned or something else entirely?

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need Help With First Pokemon Team

hi

apologies if any of this comes off as blunt, but i don't think i should mollify this

one of the things i immediately noticed with your team is that there's not very much synergy: what are you trying to accomplish, if anything? barring hax, you're not even going to get around a well-played rotom-w if your opponent has something to handle blissey (and all good players will). if your opponent gets up stealth rock, all specs keldeo has to do is hydro pump to win (thanks to your rain, really). everything is 2hkoed by hydro pump in the rain - even blissey, with your spread, can't take two with stealth rock on the field. practically any terrakion will maul you. when i look at your team, what i see are six standard pokemon thrown together without much synergy between them. i can't really help you much since i don't know what kind of team you want to go for. i don't really think this team can be salvaged, as to make it a passable team in this metagame would be to alter it beyond recognition; i'll try to point you in the general direction in which you should go

first of all, i think the politoed + gyarados core that you have is fine, although i don't like hypnosis on politoed: i'd recommend using toxic over it. while sleep is, without question, the best status in the game due to the relative paucity of sleep talkers in the metagame, the 60% accuracy is treacherous. encore's fine, i guess. with gyarados, a rapid spinner is almost a necessity, so i have no qualms with starmie, either. i think the cloyster + blissey + gengar triumvirate is what bothers me. the former two are, to be blunt, two of the worst pokemon in ou. while i think gengar is a good pokemon to use in this metagame (my favorite team actually uses it), i don't know how well it would fit on this team. it doesn't really stop anything that might hinder a gyarados sweep, such as rotom-w or kyurem-b. i'd recommend using a ferrothorn over cloyster, which seems to be your designated spiker, simply because your version of the bivalve doesn't seem to be effective. virtually any water-type will utterly wall it, and while i like that you're using the best item on it (king's rock is so cheeky), it doesn't fit well into your team in my opinion. ferrothorn helps you deal with most dragons well enough, and you still retain spikes if you want them. try stealth rock / (spikes or protect) / (leech seed or power whip) / gyro ball on it. honestly, stealth rock is typically far more vital than spikes, so it's sort of necessary to have rocks on ferro. you now have

ferrothorn / spin starmie / dd gyarados / def politoed

so now you might want something that can better handle rotom-w, since ferrothorn is extremely vulnerable to burn damage! you could try a mixed kyurem-b with fusion bolt / earth power / ice beam / focus blast @ expert belt, since it dispatches rotom-w and ferrothorn quite nicely; moreover, seeing that it's a lure kyurem-b, your opponent will sometimes send in tyranitar. then you slam him with a focus blast. bam. well that's how it's supposed to work, but given focus blast's poor accuracy it might not turn out that way!! oh you could also try out a choice band set with outrage / fusion bolt / dragon claw / ice beam or sleep talk. although sleep talk might seem gimmicky, you don't really have any sleep absorbers on your team

this leaves you with a rather acute vulnerability to agility thundurus-t (dual dance can be dealt with by smart play with ferrothorn and kyurem-b). you have a few ways of dealing with this and the first and most haphazard of which is running a scarf variant of latias or latios since it helps you with the small problems you have with dragonite if you elect not to use scarf kyurem-b (ferrothorn can deal with it, albeit not very well). you could also use mamoswine since it remedies the issues you have with chansey and beats pretty much all dragons. the problem with that is that scarf terrakion sort of dismantles you if you run mamo. i guess you could run it over kyurem-b and run some sort of life orb latios instead of scarf. either one works, i think.

tl;dr:
    try pretty much any kyurem-b over gengar;
    stealth rock ferrothorn over cloyster;
    scarf lati@s over blissey (i'd recommend draco / trick / psyshock / surf or grass knot);
    toxic > hypnosis on politoed

sorry if this rate/team isn't that good, i spent two minutes trying to make a team and sort of ran with it lol

ps on starmie, try running analytic hydro / thunder / ice beam or psyshock / rapid spin. psyshock if you're desperate to beat the uncommon chansey, though it doesn't 2hko.

what the team would look like, then:

def politoed / kyurem-b or lo mamoswine / sr ferrothorn / starmie / dd gyarados / scarf lati@s or lo lati@s

Default Re: Need Help With First Pokemon Team

Minor tweaks I would make:
    •give cloyster focus sash so he can set up shell smash.
    •I personally prefer an offensive gengar, in which case I would give it thunder, seeing as it's on a rain team. (But that can just as easily be done on starmie)
    •idk why your gyarados needs the lum berry unless as a precaution. I have often seen outrage on him.
    • blissey is fine
    • looking back, u only really need one of either starmie or gengar.
    • and a word of advice: go to the trading forums. U can probably find ur politoed there.
    • ALSO! Replace cloyster's spikes with rock blast if using the shell smash strategy.