Need help with certain Pokemon moves for battle (non-competitive)

Thread: Need help with certain Pokemon moves for battle (non-competitive)

Blog Entries

Question Need help with certain Pokemon moves for battle (non-competitive)

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place, so if not, please move it to the appropriate thread. Thank you. That aside, moving on.

I'm currently in the process of breeding/raising a Torchic to become a Blaziken. I know, Blaziken isn't exactly the best, but I love it, being my favorite Fire-type, and I want to relive that feeling of owning one. So, moving on, I don't know anything about IVs, and I dabble every so often in EV training when needed, so it's obvious to see that I'm not a competitive battler. Any battles I do will be strictly between friends for fun. But onto the main point.

With many more options available in B2W2, I want to take advantage of that and build the blazing bird I've come to love. My current place in the games is just before the Elite Four, but I've been doing some extra training. Anyway, I need help. Since Nature and Characteristics can be game-changers, I'm able to adapt to that, but I need help finalizing my Blaziken's final/ideal moves. Can anyone help me? My, you could say... Prototype Move Pool, will be below. Anyone is welcome to throw in some advice, but no bashing, please. Again, Natures and such may change the plan a bit, but if anyone can give me an idea of what would be the most ideal, or at least close enough, set-up for a Blaziken I would be very thankful. Here's my "current" plan. It will change as people recommend ideas and such. Thank you in advance.

Blaziken (Blazer, Male)
    Attacks: (Proto-list)
    Blaze Kick
    Bulk Up
    Sky Uppercut
    Thunder Punch

Any help would be very much appreciated. I haven't hatched the egg(s) yet, so I don't know the Natures and whatnot as of now. Probably after a bit of work, I'll pick out which one I want and move from there. Anyway, thanks again.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Default Re: Need help with certain Pokemon moves for battle (non-competitive)

Since the elite four aren't particularly difficult to beat you could get almost any nature, ivs and evs with a combination of moderately hard hitting moves and still win. Just pick moves you like with lots of coverage.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Since the elite four aren't particularly difficult to beat you could get almost any nature, ivs and evs with a combination of moderately hard hitting moves and still win. Just pick moves you like with lots of coverage.
    Yes, that is true. The Unova Elite Four can be big pushovers, but it's not just the Elite Four. I may not be into competitive play, but I do want to learn how to Wi-Fi battle better, and see how my training methods and move selections measure up to other players. My first (and only) Wi-Fi battle... I got creamed, but I took it in stride and tried to see what I did wrong. So after tasting Wi-Fi battling for the first time (and the first time I've battled another player since the GSC era), I'm trying to learn what to do to make the most out of my training plans and move choices for maximum effect. Which is why I'm starting this test with Blaziken, a blank slate. So any other piece of advice are appreciated. But I do thank you for your advice, Takaki, as favorite moves and good coverage is what I like (which is why I'm doing this during B2W2, with so many resources available, it will make it easier).

Any other tips or pieces of advice are still welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

Ok well competitively the following Blaziken is by far the best:

Blaziken (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Protect
    - Flare Blitz

Most of the set I've just posted is pretty self explanatory. Speed boost should be used if you have access to the dream world (even if you don't I'm sure somebody would be willing to trade you it from here since everybody seems to have one). With the 2 speed boosts, ev investment and a jolly nature, Blaziken becomes almost the fastest thing in the game, even outspeeding scarf Terrakion. The two offensive moves give the most powerful STABS and have quite good coverage between them (after a swords dance most bulky waters are going to get 1HKOd by Hi Jump Kick). The main con of the set is how common it is, provided your opponent can KO you (which they can usually since Blaziken is frail) you will likely have trouble forcing a switch and getting that swords dance boost off. You can obviously set up on stuff like Ferrothorn and cHansey but to ensure more consistent set up results I would recomend partnering him with something like Wobbuffet to give you a few more setup opportunities. The other obvious support he needs is sun to perform his best. Since drought is the most reliable of these, you should be partnering with Ninetails (again dream world) in nintendo metagames or Groundon in ubers matches.

Obviously you'll be making a few adjustments to this for the elite for. After a Swords Dance boost with Blaziken you can 1HKO every single Pokemon in the elite four in sun provided you are leveled pretty evenly with them. The exception to this is Chandelure who you can't hit which is why I recommend shadow claw over protect for when you do this.

I don't play online on the DS and rather play on Online Simulators. If you need any further help or want to test things then I'll happily play you on the simulator or talk about it here. Just a note, the two premier simulators right now are Pokemon Showdown and Pokemon Online. The former is browser based.

Pokemon Master's Degree! Pikmin1211's Avatar

@Takaki; Why would you give it Jolly? Adamant is much better for Blazekin.
    http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/lucario - Smogon on Lucario
    http://www.mcleodgaming.com/viewflash.php?id=6&type=game - Click here if you like SSB!
    http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/lobby - Click here if you like competitive Pokemon!

I said why in my description.

Blog Entries

Takaki has the right idea when it comes to competitive play, not that I know much, if anything, about competitive play. And a Jolly nature would give Blaziken the needed speed boost without compensating it's more desired attacking stat, with or without the ability Speed Boost, since it's not the faster bird in the Poke world. But I agree with you on the Adamant part, Pikmin1221, as Blaziken more heavily relies on Attack vs. Special Attack (despite both stats being fairly close in base levels), and it learns a lot more Physical attacks vs. Special ones. But, both Natures would fit the bill either way, and I'd accept either of them. In fact, my current Blaziken has an Adamant nature, and I've spent a fair amount of time doing Speed and Attack Effort Value Training, so both Natures work well depending on what you're using it for. Since I'm not partaking in competitive play, Adamant works well for me, but Jolly was another Nature I would've easily accepted. So, really, both of you are right, it just depends on the person's preference. But I appreciate the help, I now have a really good idea. Here's my current status with Blaziken:

Blaziken (Ra, Male)
    Ability: Blaze
    Nature: Adamant
    Characteristic: Good Endurance
    Held Item: Wide Lens
    Attacks: Thunder Punch, Blaze Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Bulk Up
    HP: 110
    Attack: 128
    Defense: 71
    Sp. Attack: 83
    Sp. Defense: 62
    Speed: 94

He just evolved, but I'm pleased so far. And, yes, I changed his name, since I like the idea of Blaziken being based off of Ra. His Special Defense could use some work, but I think I've maxed him out EV wise, so that might be a no-go. I've taken bits from other examples, Takaki's statements, and my own tastes, so he's looking pretty good so far. We'll see how he grows. Thanks.

In my opinion, the electric coverage is unnecessary. The only thing you won't be able to hit after a SD is Giratina, which completely walls you, since Blaziken is Ubers. Another huge thing to consider is the possibility of using it alongside something with strong electrical support to compensate. Otherwise, the Protect SD/ SubSD sets are the best for Blaziken, since there's not too much you can do with Blaziken. Also, consider Brave Bird as another coverage move, simply for neutral coverage against Giratinas.

This isn't exactly a competitive Blaziken, so I wasn't sure how to help much. I hope this helped a bit, I'm used to being a competitive Wi-Fi battler XD

As for the Elite Four, any Blaziken should work. Honestly, I got myself a Darmanitan at the beginning, and soloed it with that. It was easy. You don't really need to do much, just spam supereffects.

The moveset I put can 1 shot the whole elite 4 at a good level (after a dance) and has reasonable coverage generally too.