MonoWater NU RMT

Thread: MonoWater NU RMT

Blog Entries

Visit imonaJet's Youtube Channel

Default MonoWater NU RMT

I only just recently joined the 5th Gen metagame scene, and I think I kinda like it in the NU Tier.
    I recently threw together this MonoWater Type team to be used in NU. It's really a personal preference of mine to always play using Monotype, I enjoy the challenge it brings as well as a little bit of a novelty factor.

So yeah, a little background for the team. It has been working out quite OK, but not as much as I would like it to be. Right now my goal is that it would be good enough to win at least 3 matches in a row. So I hope you guys could help out. Here's my team.

The Lead:

Croconaw (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Ice Punch
    - Aqua Jet
    - Toxic

I needed a bulky Pokemon that would be able to set up rain, but . Inflict Toxic, and be able to cripple opponents with it. Also it makes for a quick killer when I'm in red and Torrent activates, the STAB Priority with Torrent in the rain works out very well. Lastly I preferred Ice punch over Waterfall because I sort of needed Coverage to be able to deal damage to some problems for my team, such as Leafeon, Exeggutor, and Cradily.

The Wall/Hazer/Toxic-Staller.

Mantine (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    IVS: 30 in Everything except for a 31 in Speed
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Haze
    - Protect

This is usually my next switch in if Croconaw successfully has Toxic'd someone, or if the opponent starts setting up. Another main purpose this serves for my team is a Sawk counter. Although it doesn't always pull it off, It's the closest I could think of of how to take care of that Sawk hitting my whole team with close combat. If it takes out a Poke, I switch in Mantine here and set off a HP Flying. usually this does a 2HKO, but if it still doesn't kill Sawk, It will be up to Swanna later to take it out.. Although Stone Edge Sawk usually destroys this too.

The Physical Sweeper

Ludicolo (M) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Seed Bomb
    - Ice Punch
    - Zen Headbutt

If Croconaw died before getting the chance to Toxic someone, but has set up rain. Ludicolo is Usually my next switch in. Since Swift Swim activates, I get double speed plus with Choice band I get the chance to hit hard, and since rain wont be lasting long anyway, in any case that I get locked into a move that a switch in of his would resist, I would just switch in to Mantine who could take a hit and do some damage back. In any case I try to only get Ludicolo out if there is rain.

The Tank:

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Recover
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake

Unaware Quagsire can be a real help, once I get the chance to set up. It's not really a problem. I usually go to him if Croconaw didn't even get to set up rain. Set up a Curse, and if the opponent doesnt do more than 25% damage, I go for another one, then recover it up. Usually i set up around 3-4 before I actually start attacking, while still putting in a curse here and there. Quagsire is also my switch in to incoming electric type attacks which gives me a free chance to set up curse. Main problems with Quagsire though are Trick users such as Rotom-F, and Physical walls such as Haunter(?). And the biggest threat is Grass Knot, and I tremble a little when I feel it coming.

The Special Attacker:

Simipour (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Gluttony
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot

Simipour here is more of a standalone Poke and has less synergy than the rest of the team. Basically just do a Nasty Plot then fire away. And really does a ton of damage, although is relatively frail than the rest of my team, especially with Life Orb chipping of it's life every attacking turn. Sawk completely shuts this pokemon too but only if it's scarfed. If not, I get the chance to at least damage it a bit before going down. Hopefully if Mantine has at least damaged it once earlier in the game, Simipour can handle it.

The other dancer/special attacker

Swanna (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Surf
    - Hurricane
    - Brave Bird
    - Rain Dance

Lastly, Swanna, this could be an alternative to Ludicolo taking the advantage of the rain to sweep with awesome coverage, but with special attacks. Also, Swanna gets the advantage of being able to set up rain of his own. and in case he goes down, he gets to set up rain for Ludi. Special walls usually are trouble, but I just brave bird them to deal as much damage as I can before Swanna dies.

So yeah.. I'd really like to receive critique on my team, and ways to Improve it, such as suggesting changes in movesets, or maybe the Pokemon entirely. I'll be keeping a changelog of the changes and how well they battle.
    Last edited by imonaJet; 25th April 2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Added Pics

Blog Entries

Default Re: MonoWater NU RMT

Quote Originally Posted by imonaJet View Post
    I only just recently joined the 5th Gen metagame scene, and I think I kinda like it in the NU Tier.
    I recently threw together this MonoWater Type team to be used in NU. It's really a personal preference of mine to always play using Monotype, I enjoy the challenge it brings as well as a little bit of a novelty factor.

So yeah, a little background for the team. It has been working out quite OK, but not as much as I would like it to be. Right now my goal is that it would be good enough to win at least 3 matches in a row. So I hope you guys could help out. Here's my team.

The Lead:

Croconaw (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Ice Punch
    - Aqua Jet
    - Toxic

I needed a bulky Pokemon that would be able to set up rain, but . Inflict Toxic, and be able to cripple opponents with it. Also it makes for a quick killer when I'm in red and Torrent activates, the STAB Priority with Torrent in the rain works out very well. Lastly I preferred Ice punch over Waterfall because I sort of needed Coverage to be able to deal damage to some problems for my team, such as Leafeon, Exeggutor, and Cradily.

The Wall/Hazer/Toxic-Staller.

Mantine (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    IVS: 30 in Everything except for a 31 in Speed
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Haze
    - Protect

This is usually my next switch in if Croconaw successfully has Toxic'd someone, or if the opponent starts setting up. Another main purpose this serves for my team is a Sawk counter. Although it doesn't always pull it off, It's the closest I could think of of how to take care of that Sawk hitting my whole team with close combat. If it takes out a Poke, I switch in Mantine here and set off a HP Flying. usually this does a 2HKO, but if it still doesn't kill Sawk, It will be up to Swanna later to take it out.. Although Stone Edge Sawk usually destroys this too.

The Physical Sweeper

Ludicolo (M) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Seed Bomb
    - Ice Punch
    - Zen Headbutt

If Croconaw died before getting the chance to Toxic someone, but has set up rain. Ludicolo is Usually my next switch in. Since Swift Swim activates, I get double speed plus with Choice band I get the chance to hit hard, and since rain wont be lasting long anyway, in any case that I get locked into a move that a switch in of his would resist, I would just switch in to Mantine who could take a hit and do some damage back. In any case I try to only get Ludicolo out if there is rain.

The Tank:

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Recover
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake

Unaware Quagsire can be a real help, once I get the chance to set up. It's not really a problem. I usually go to him if Croconaw didn't even get to set up rain. Set up a Curse, and if the opponent doesnt do more than 25% damage, I go for another one, then recover it up. Usually i set up around 3-4 before I actually start attacking, while still putting in a curse here and there. Quagsire is also my switch in to incoming electric type attacks which gives me a free chance to set up curse. Main problems with Quagsire though are Trick users such as Rotom-F, and Physical walls such as Haunter(?). And the biggest threat is Grass Knot, and I tremble a little when I feel it coming.

The Special Attacker:

Simipour (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Gluttony
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot

Simipour here is more of a standalone Poke and has less synergy than the rest of the team. Basically just do a Nasty Plot then fire away. And really does a ton of damage, although is relatively frail than the rest of my team, especially with Life Orb chipping of it's life every attacking turn. Sawk completely shuts this pokemon too but only if it's scarfed. If not, I get the chance to at least damage it a bit before going down. Hopefully if Mantine has at least damaged it once earlier in the game, Simipour can handle it.

The other dancer/special attacker

Swanna (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Surf
    - Hurricane
    - Brave Bird
    - Rain Dance

Lastly, Swanna, this could be an alternative to Ludicolo taking the advantage of the rain to sweep with awesome coverage, but with special attacks. Also, Swanna gets the advantage of being able to set up rain of his own. and in case he goes down, he gets to set up rain for Ludi. Special walls usually are trouble, but I just brave bird them to deal as much damage as I can before Swanna dies.

So yeah.. I'd really like to receive critique on my team, and ways to Improve it, such as suggesting changes in movesets, or maybe the Pokemon entirely. I'll be keeping a changelog of the changes and how well they battle.
    Sawk gives me big problems in NU too. why don't you try an eviolite frillish? (that's it's name i'm hoping) do that if you predict close combat. its another way to burn physical attackers like him too. there is not really a true lead in 5th gen by the way, incase you haven't noticed due to team preview. The monkeys are all awesome in my opinion and despite their frailness they are fantastic special sweepers. I've never heard of a physical attacking ludicolo and how is that working out for you? maybe I'll try that. i don't usually use many water types but everything else looks solid.

Blog Entries

Visit imonaJet's Youtube Channel

Default Re: MonoWater NU RMT

Yeah, I guess you're right about the lead thing, but even with team preview I almost never remove Croconaw from the lead position.

Frillish seems like a good Idea, although, will it be able to hit back at Sawk?

Haha, I actually picked out that set for Ludicolo, because I thought he was meant for physical attacking, I only recently found out that he was usually special attacking. I always wondered why people would usually send in Special walls against it. But yeah, Ludicolo Banded in the rain is actually doing pretty well.