Metagame Prediction Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metagame Prediction Thread

Default Re: Metagame Prediction Thread

So I'm trying out the Gen6 Meta through Pokemon Online. While it's still in alpha and filled with many bugs, I can kind of see where the metagame is heading.

For starters, the Fairy type isn't as dominating as I initially thought. There are like... Only 3 good pokemon to utilize it, Sylveon, Mega Mawile, and Florges (Klefki, while kind of popular, is a gimmick Pokemon at best), and only one of them (Mega Mawile) is a good offensive threat, and instead better specialized for support/defense. The rest of them were bestowed terrible base stats, and in addition to most fairy type moves being exclusive. It DOES better balance Dragons, though, as there is a lot more risk to running moves like outrage, so it's not so easy to just completely sweep a team with one Dragon. So... It kind of succeeded?

By contrast, Mega Evolutions are really shaking things up. Mega Lucario, Gengar, Mawile, Charizard, Alakazam, and Blaziken are particularly common and threatening at this point. I also see some future with Mega Aggron,Venusaur, and Absol as well. Similar to Gen 5, plenty of old threats are becoming new ones thanks to Mega Evolution.

As far as notable Gen6 pokemon are concerened, here is a list:

Aegislash - Arguably the best pokemon introduced in this gen. It has ridiculous offense and defense stats depending on its form. Let it set up with Swords Dance and it will trash entire teams. It's ability is also fun to use and allows options for both defensive and aggressive play. One of my favorites from this game.

Greninja - Great base speed and decent offense stats make it a good special sweeper, or even a scout. I've also seen a physical set do well with this thing.

Talonflame - I don't know if its just a fad right now, considering it has many exploitable weaknesses, but this guy is getting a lot of use during these testing phases and he's actually pretty darn good, especially for a pokemon you can aquire early game.

Florges - Seems to be getting attention due to its typing and high spDef. In my opinion it doesn't really replace Jellicent or Blissey in that role, but not a bad option if your team needs it.

Clawitzer - Getting some attention due to its access to Shell Smash and that it's probably one of your best bets for dealing with Aegislash.

Noivern - Fabulous, speedy special sweeper with a good coverage movepool. I think you can viably run a life orb set with him or go down my insane route of making him Choice Scarfed scout. Don't overlook Boomburst because it's a normal type move, it hits hard.

Other pokemon that I think have some potential to shine as well:

Chesnaught - I haven't seen a grass-type starter this deliciously tanky and awesome since Venusaur. It has great stalling options with Spike Sheild, though I also recommend a substitute/bulk-up set with Horn Leech. His low spDef and 4x weakness to flying does make him a little risky (Talonflame eats it for breakfast), but I see him shining at least in the UU tier.

Gourgeist - His XL form has the best defensive stats. Not a common sight at all, but seems to do well on stall-oriented teams.

Goodra - Don't really know what to think of this thing, it's certainly no Dragonite. It seems very well optimized for weather teams, though, and I'm sure it will get more use once people figure out how to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Glory Blaze- View Post
    Clawitzer doesn't get Shell Smash and Chesnaught doesn't get Horn Leech (or Drain Punch, as far as I know). Are you thinking of Barbaracle and Gogoat?
    Possbily a bug, or abuse of some unreleased capabilities within P.O., because I've definitely seen them.

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Weird. I can confirm that Clawitzer doesn't get Shell Smash as an egg move, but I do remember Serebii accidentally putting Shell Smash on it's move pool where Aqua Jet was supposed to go, but he's fixed it by now. Maybe somebody saw that and got confused? And Chesnaught just doesn't get Horn Leech, period. I wish it did, though. I started with chespin and every time it leveled up I'd cross my fingers for Drain Punch, but alas, no. It's a level 89 Chesnaught now and no Drain Punch. Not by breeding, either. :(

Malamar looks pretty interesting to me. Contrary plus Superpower looks like it could turn Malamar into a threat. Foul Play also looks like it could take out any physical threats that aren't resistant to Dark attacks. And if they are, then Topsy-Turvy could throw them (and anything that uses a Stat Boost skill) for a spin by turning any Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, etc. into a stat reduction for the target. Build it with a little bit of bulk and it could become a threat in any match.
    >Friend Safari Info< ~ >URPG Stats<
    "Let's make sure we create...
    a world of our hopes and dreams"

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkaboo View Post
    Malamar looks pretty interesting to me. Contrary plus Superpower looks like it could turn Malamar into a threat. Foul Play also looks like it could take out any physical threats that aren't resistant to Dark attacks. And if they are, then Topsy-Turvy could throw them (and anything that uses a Stat Boost skill) for a spin by turning any Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, etc. into a stat reduction for the target. Build it with a little bit of bulk and it could become a threat in any match.
    I run a 248 HP/248 Atk/8 Def (Level 50 for Wi-Fi means 8 EVs per stat point instead of 4) Assault Vest Malamar with Superpower, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, and Rock Slide. Assault Vest gives usable Special Defense and Superpower is essentially both an amazing coverage move and Bulk Up in the same move, so boosting moves are unnecessary, making the Assault Vest worth it. After a Superpower or two, you have reasonable bulk on both sides of the spectrum and if the opponent is using Sticky Web you become a nearly unstoppable juggernaut as soon as you get near +3/+3/+0/+1/+1.

i've only played five games of xy so most of this is conjecture but here we go

aegislash is sickeningly good with sd/king's shield/shadow sneak/sacred sword due to the tragic nerf to steel. i like using like 160 hp/252 atk/96 spd with an adamant nature, which allows it to outrun most 0 spd base 70 pokemon. in fact, i worry that it might be a little too good because there's a noticeable dearth of ghost resists in the metagame now that steel doesn't resist it. hydreigon was shafted this generation due to fairy; the new type is immune to one of its stabs, resistant to the other, and hits it 4x effectively. moreover, it has the option to go special if it feels like it. although special is certainly not its optimum set, i've heard autotomize/hp ice/shadow ball/sacred sword is worth using; it certainly catches things like hippowdon, skarmory, et al. off guard so that something like excadrill can break them down well. also, i really like the idea of sr hippowdon / sd or special aegis / sd excadrill as a core if you can find something that can punish rotom-w and strong fire-/water-type pokemon to use alongside it, since it not only stops opposing aegislash but also gives you all the speed you need, both in priority and in excadrill. although the weather nerf is pretty unfortunate since you're either forced to run smooth rock if you want solid weather (which is ass on a defensive mon, even if it has reliable recovery) or suffer a pitiful five-turn sandstorm. however, excadrill can still do its job well enough even in spite of the nerf and synergizes well with mixed aegislash since the sword eliminates or at least weakens the vast majority of its counters. i don't think aegis is uber material but it's so ridiculously good in this metagame since all you need to do is weaken things slightly and it can clean house with shadow sneak.

zygarde seems a lot better than people gave it credit for. being bulkier than hippowdon on both ends is no mean feat, and having dragon dance and extremespeed is absolutely incredible. its most salient problem is that it's very underwhelming offensively—100 base attack is pretty terrible for an offensive pokemon without many significant resistances, and it doesn't even have fire blast to deal with skarmory like all other dragons. it's one of those pokemon that suffers from being neat against offensive teams but nearly useless against stall (which arguably might not even exist this generation). i think the yache set with dd/outrage/eq/extremespeed with some investment in bulk is going to be cool, but a coil set sounds meritorious too. although it might not be ou, it certainly has more utility than previously expected; i predict it'll remain mid-to-low ou in coming months.

greninja seems like the first ou starter since infernape. extremely fast, stab on everything, spikes, and a taunt off 122 speed is just too good to pass up. he has access to a far better (initial) stab than sceptile, too. it's a shame his movepool isn't really that great but he definitely has a lot of utility. he's probably going to be solidly ou.

also man i feel like heatran is going to be SO GOOD in this metagame. x4 resistance to fairy is extremely handy for it, and it has the defenses to stomach a +2 shadow sneak from aegis iirc.

i don't know who posted this but re: talonflame

the reason why it's so good even in spite of its lackluster attack is because it has priority on all of its flying-type moves! combined with a ridiculously high base speed and a secondary stab that complements flying well enough, this enables talonflame to enjoy a lot of use in ou at the moment. i don't know if it will continue to sustain high enough usage to remain since it does require support to use effectively, but it seems like an interesting pokemon, especially since sr is easier than ever to keep off the field.

to be honest, i don't think mega evolutions themselves are going to have a marked impact on how the game will be played: a lot are improvements on some pokemon, sure, but they aren't exactly game-changing. there are obvious exceptions—for example, i'd be surprised if mega gengar weren't banned (however, the three times i played against it, it never killed more than one pokemon – i think mixed wall hippowdon is pretty much a hard stop to it) and mega blastoise beats every spinblocker! m-alakazam seems like a huge threat to offense because of its incredible speed, but obviously performs a far different role than magic guard alakazam. i think a lot of the promise in mega evolutions lies in the concomitant mindgames that they bring to the table. if you're playing an opponent with, say:

gengar / lucario / tyranitar / aegislash / scizor / rotom-w

this is obviously a terrible team, but just bear with me. if your opponent runs this type of team, you aren't going to have any idea what their megaevolution is, or if they even have one. for example, what if you assume your opponent is running shadow tag gengar and you send out your assault vest tyranitar only to watch them double to a lucario? and then you switch only to watch them mega evolve and nasty plot in your face? i feel like not knowing what your opponent's mega evolution is could potentially lose you games, so you'd probably have to infer that your opponent's running, say, m-gengar, in the context of their team.

i'm probably not going to play seriously this generation, but i just wanted to give some thoughts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12