Metagame Prediction Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metagame Prediction Thread

Based Mod DCM's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Metagame Prediction Thread

I figured it wouldn't hurt to have one of these, as we each experience the new generation of pokemon and work out more competitive teams.

Thinking realistically, Scizor is going to stay huge. But I'm thinking Toxicroak is going to stay high in usage, especially with fairy types new weakenesses. At least for the first few weeks.

"Now I could let these dream killers kill my self-esteem/Or use my arrogance as the steam to power my dreams."

Default Re: Metagame Prediction Thread

In my opinion i doubt Fairies are going to stop the Dragons, more specifically the pseudo dragons, since most of the fairy types pokemon seem to have mediocre stats with the exceptions of Sylveon, Togekiss, Azumarill and Gardevoir. But the use of Outrage is certainly going to go down by a lot.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

Blog Entries
    Follow Banoberducky On Twitter Add Banoberducky on Facebook
    Follow Banoberducky on Tumblr Visit Banoberducky's Youtube Channel

I'm actually somewhat doubtful that we're going to see a lot of mega evolutions. Definitely some, but the lack of held item really hurts some pokemon.

Get ready for Aegislash in OU.

Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

I'd imagine that even without items, some Mega Evos might prove way too strong for OU. Mega Gengar certainly seems like a top candidate to be banned, what with Shadow Tag and, by Smogon's estimations, base 170 Sp. Attack and base 130 Speed. The Ground weakness hurts it a bit, but it's still ridiculously strong.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SharKing View Post
    I'd imagine that even without items, some Mega Evos might prove way too strong for OU. Mega Gengar certainly seems like a top candidate to be banned, what with Shadow Tag and, by Smogon's estimations, base 170 Sp. Attack and base 130 Speed. The Ground weakness hurts it a bit, but it's still ridiculously strong.
    actually mega ampharos my be banned as well because it may be able to set up the new thunder weather, so it becomes a big threat
    i had a nametag

guess not now

Blog Entries

Serebii currently have some close-to-accurate estimates of the Pokemon's base stats: Pokémon X & Pokémon Y - New Pokémon

Interesting highlights:
    - Greninja has a similar spread to Sceptile. Its Speed allows it to outspeed Tornadus-T. In fact, it is a great Spikes user precisely because it can set them up very fast, and Starmie is threatened by it due to its Speed advantage. Protean allows it to change type quickly as well.
    - Diggersby may be weak, but not if it has Huge Power! Swords Dance is an option, so that'll make it even more powerful. It's not particularly fast, so Quick Attack works to your advantage here. The Ground STAB grants extra coverage, so that will work to your advantage.
    - While Pyroar's stats lean towards Special attacking, it gets Moxie, making it the first Special attacker with this. Probably not much point with this, but if you have enough boosts, you could switch to Attack on certain threats if you need.
    - Florges is huge on Special Defence. Would be great as a Doubles supporter, as long as you could avoid Physical attacks or neuter them (with Intimidate, preferably).
    - Gogoat has decent mixed offences. Its movepool leans more to Physical attacking anyway, with Earthquake and Bulk Up. It even gets Milk Drink (yes, really) so you could use a set up/recover set.
    - Pangoro is as fast as Scrafty (both have the same type combo), but Pancham is slightly slower than Scraggy.
    - Furfrou is relatively fast. Fur Coat's extra Defence will give it more resilience due to its relatively low initial Defence (60).
    - Meowstic is a bit slower than Liepard. I guess this means Liepard has the advantage over them, type- and speed-wise. By the way, the male gets Prankster, while the female gets Competitive.
    - Aegislash is really bulky/powerful! Of course, smart move management is key to make use of both.
    - Aromatisse looks to be a Special set up user.
    - Barbaracle has decent stats to be a Shell Smasher. Its coverage looks to be similar to Kabutops, having to rely on Water and Rock coverage for the most part (plus Earthquake, a move Kabutops lack).
    - Dragalge is Special Defensive. Not a bad type to have great Special Defence, but I expected it to be a Special attacker. Also, Dragalge seems to lack Ice coverage, though Poison is still good.
    - Heliolisk has Special sweeper stats. Would work well in either Sun or Rain, or Sandstorm even, with the right ability.
    - Aurorus has somewhat good defences, probably to make up for its defensive type, I guess. Still, it's a second Snow Warning Pokemon, so that's good!
    - Hawlucha is extremely fast, but it will probably need to resort to an Attack+ nature due to its decent Attack.
    - Goodra is confirmed to be the pseudo-legendary. Physical attacks are practically a requirement to deal with it.
    - Gourgeist's stats mean that its Super-size might be the most used, although its smaller forms have their uses.
    - Trevenant could be a good attacker, although low Speed is a bummer. I could see it serving a similar role as Golurk: decently bulky attacker with a tinge of supportive abilities. Still, Trevenant's abilities (Harvest and Natural Cure) are key to using it.
    - Avalugg is Cryogonal's opposite, with good HP, great Attack and extremely high Defence, but everything else is low. I compared it to Cryogonal because it has Rapid Spin and Recover too.
    - Noivern set the benchmark as the fastest Dragon. Could see some use in the higher tiers because of that.
    - Zygarde has a BST of only 600, compared to Xerneas and Yveltal's 670. Seems to be a hint that it is not the final form, much like Kyurem isn't the final form until its fusion.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Furfrou can effectively have a 480 defense stat (base 220, I think) because of its ability. I don't know if that will be useful or not, since so far its only defensive strategy seems to be Toxic stalling.

Assault Vest is a fucking awesome item. (1.5x sp def at the cost of self-inflicting taunt)... I'm going to give this to my Sassy Tyranitar, so he can take hits from the really scary Gengar and finally actually counter Starmie.

I'm excited to try Mega Aggron with a phazing set. I think it's going to be able to take all kinds of hits, and Mega Aggron might be a good answer to Mega pokemon. But maybe he's still not bulky enough. We'll see, I guess.

I'm also (like literally every other person) going to try out Sticky Web Galvantula for a while, so I can try to sweep with my Magnezone!

Apparently Mega Aggron has a 230 base def stat, combine this with Filter and great defensive typing this thing it's going to be a true wall to physical sweepers.

Mega Alakazam has 175 Special Attack base stat and 150 Speed base stat, it's faster than Mewtwo. And who's gonna take a hit from Mega Alakazam?
    Last edited by Norzan; 17th October 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
    Apparently Mega Aggron has a 230 base def stat, combine this with Filter and great defensive typing this thing it's going to be a true wall to physical sweepers.
    And don't forget they fixed sleep so we can use a Restalk set again! I'm so excited to use Mega Aggron :D

Quote Originally Posted by Norzan View Post

Mega Alakazam has 175 Special Attack base stat and 150 Speed base stat, it's faster than Mewtwo. And who's gonna take a hit from Mega Alakazam?
    specially defensive florges, shuckle, aggron with 252 hp evs
    i had a nametag

guess not now

What's the updates on this? I kind of think Ghost types as a whole will be significantly buffed compared to previous games. I'm specifically thinking about Gengar, because steel no longer resists ghosts it could be much better than it was in the previous gen, having fewer options for counterplay other than switching to a pokemon with high sp.def stats. That's just my thoughts, though.

Also, what's the future for the weather wars? It's confirmed that all of the weather-starting abilities (sand stream, snow warning, drizzle, and drought) no longer last indefinitely, and instead for 5 turns. I really hope this change at least tames it a little, because it's so annoying to pigeon-hole my teams to address it.
    Last edited by Youngster_Joey; 22nd October 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngster_Joey View Post
    What's the updates on this? I kind of think Ghost types as a whole will be significantly buffed compared to previous games. I'm specifically thinking about Gengar, because steel no longer resists ghosts it could be much better than it was in the previous gen, having fewer options for counterplay other than switching to a pokemon with high sp.def stats. That's just my thoughts, though.

Also, what's the future for the weather wars? It's confirmed that all of the weather-starting abilities (sand stream, snow warning, drizzle, and drought) no longer last indefinitely, and instead for 5 turns. I really hope this change at least tames it a little, because it's so annoying to pigeon-hole my teams to address it.
    And don't forget that Gengar is part Poison wich resists Fairy and it's SE against Fairy and because of this he's now a major threat.

sleeping is my passion Winterdaze's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

What do you guys think of Sticky Web? While I don't think it will be quite as pervasive as Stealth Rock, the fact it can completely cripple offence teams in one swift stroke is going to be significant.

The only thing holding it back is it forces you to run something like Smeargle or Galvantula, which while not dead weight, won't be contributing much else in the higher tiers.

If it does become widespread, that would certainly raise the stock of Defiant and Competitive Pokemon like Bisharp and Milotic. Bisharp in particular doesn't care about the speed drop since it has Sucker Punch, and being a Dark type that can handle Fairies and a Steel type that still resists Ghost could boost its popularity considerably.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 22nd October 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think SW will be huge for bulky offense. Galvantula isn't a top-tier threat, but he's far from useless since his STAB wrecks every single Magic Bounce user and CompundEyes Thunder destroys spinners like Blastoise, Tentacruel, etc who might wish to switch in. It also 2HKOes Forretress, a common lead. With Sticky Web on the opponent's side of the field only, suddenly you're outrunning even their Scarfers and you dominate. With SW on both sides of the field, suddenly Fliers and Levitaters are speed demons. When Charizard, Salamence, Dragonite, Hydreigon, etc. switches in and can suddenly outspeed your whole team, you need to start running counters for them as their popularity will spike. The only thing I can see that might make SW less prevalent than SR was is the Defog buff, but Defog users a primarily Fliers, which Galvantula eats for breakfast. I think Gliscor will easily be the best Defogger once PokeBank opens, since he is immune to Galvantula's Thunder, can Defog, and then set up SRs again immediately after and can take Galvantula out with Stone Edge. He'll have to watch out for Galvantula's running HP Ice, though. Because Gliscor can Defog hazards away and walls non-HP Ice Galvantula, I think we'll see a lot of Galvantulas running U-Turn instead of Volt Switch so they can keep up momentum even against Gliscor. I think Greninja will be a popular Volt-Turn (or Turn-Turn) core with Galvantula, though, as it can set up Spikes and takes out Gliscor with Hydro Pump or Surf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast