Which metagame do you participate in? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What metagames do you play in?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smogon

24 63.16%
  • VGC

10 26.32%
  • Battle Spot

13 34.21%
  • Other

6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which metagame do you participate in?

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which metagame do you participate in?

Smogon for me, the tiers make the game a lot more interesting and balanced.

Many of smogon's clauses were introduced by GF them self. Banning Soul-dew, species clause, banning base 670 legendaries, sleep clause, etc. were all introduced in PBR/battle facilities ingame.

And thank god for Smogon. I hated smogon initially but my early random-battles in gen 5 taught me how terrible a metagame without bans and tiers is. Imo, stepping into battling properly made me appreciate the job smogon is doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Smogon and Battle Spot.

I generally trust Smogon's judgment when it comes to providing a good clean metagame, and the tier system means I can battle with my favourite Pokemon without having to worry about them being outclassed. I haven't been on showdown much since Gen VI started, but when RU and NU are properly established I'll probably be on there a lot more.

Battle Spot is fun though, and there really is nothing like using Pokemon you've raised yourself in full animated 3D battles.

I'm used to the VGC metagame, and it's the official tournament format if I ever enter one, so that's mainly what I've been playing and building for.

I understand the mentality that encourages what the Smogon metagame does in regards to tiering and banning, and I can agree with them in singles battles definitely. Mainly though, I really enjoy the complexity of playing in the doubles format. Even despite the tendancy of the VGC metagame to gravitate toward certain common choices, I do enjoy the puzzle-like problem-solving aspect of teambuilding; finding ways to address the threats that crop up because of the what the metagame does. I feel there is enough diversity in Pokemon that the common metagame choices can be overcome, and playing in doubles allows for a wide variety of inventive options to counteract such choices that would not otherwise be viable in a singles setting.

From my experiences in VGC lately, facing off against players that use the most popular mons in the metagame has been largely quite easy for me. It's always been the more creative players, the ones thinking outside the same dozen mons and same tried-and-true strategies, that really make me sweat for my win or defeat me outright. Part of that may be that I build teams knowing the lay of the metagame, and so considered options to defeat those popular choices, as well as addressing common reactions to popular choices. Still, to me that phenomena simply reinforces my belief that the VCG metagame isn't nearly as fargone as many seem to believe.

Even with all that said though, even though I've pretty much said "I really like VGC!", I am interested in branching out to other metagames. Honestly, the main reason I haven't gone to anyone on this forum and asked for a battle, or entered a forum tournament, is because I've built my team(s) and playstyle well outside the Smogon-approved pedigree, and so a vast majority of my strategies and teams would simply not be permitted. I have been working lately to raise a number of Smogon-approved mons to amend this, so maybe I'll some of you in the arena soon!

Default What Format and Why?

kind of self-explanatory, but what format to you prefer to play and why? smogon tiers, inverse, vgc, ubers, what have you?

For me I'm all about VGC doubles. It's the official format and I really prefer the pacing, strategy, and mind games that happen with it. That being said I think I really want to see Team Multis or Team matches or something.

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

Default Re: What Format and Why?

VGC Doubles or Double Battles in general, it's my favourite type of battle and i love how fast paced and intense it is and love the mind games.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Based Mod Dan's Avatar Social Media EditorModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Format and Why?

We've got this same thread here. I'll merge you in

VGC, because I prefer to use strategy and prediction in double battles than having to constantly play the switching in and out game that is common in singles or 6v6.

Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

These days, I primarily play XY OU and RBY OU. I'm thinking of getting back into DPP OU, and I'd like to try some lower tiers as well. Just not sure what to try. XD
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Really liking Smogon's current UU. VGC can be pretty fun but it always seems to be really hard to ladder in.

I have played nearly every smogon-sponsored metagame, from RBY OU to LC UU to Balanced Hackmons. Probably won't ever touch UU and RU, though.

I'm a fan of Battle Spot, as the fast-paced and official rules tend to be my cup o' tea. VGC is nice too, although I've yet to become great at it.

Blog Entries

I quite like battle spot as I get to use the Pokemon I love (like Darkrai/Arceus) and such and a battle is always available with little rules, just flat out fighting. It's alays funny when you meet full legendary teams and the people don't know how to use them, such a walk in the park.

Blog Entries
    Add Neosquid on Facebook
    Follow Neosquid on Tumblr

I play on Showdown and Battle Spot once in a while, I'm not actually very competitive despite knowing a lot about it.

Blog Entries

I haven't gone beyond Battle Spot yet. And I don't even know what the VGC is. What does it stand for?
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Marik

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Skill Link, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.
    Can you ever have too many claims? ...Nah, of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOsprey View Post
    I haven't gone beyond Battle Spot yet. And I don't even know what the VGC is. What does it stand for?
    Video Game Championships

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast