Which metagame do you participate in?

View Poll Results: What metagames do you play in?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smogon

24 63.16%
  • VGC

10 26.32%
  • Battle Spot

13 34.21%
  • Other

6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which metagame do you participate in?

Based Mod Dan's Avatar Social Media EditorModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Which metagame do you participate in?

Any competitive Pokemon fan knows there's a couple different ways to play Pokemon competitively, including Smogon, VGC and Battle Spot. Which do you participate in? Which do you build your teams for?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What metagame do you participate in?

Battle spot and singles 6vs6 with no restrictions for the most part, however, I have participated in doubles and triple battles a few times either with a partner or by myself.

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What metagame do you participate in?

Those of you who know me know that I'm Smogonite through and through, here's my brief justification: I believe that Smogon provides the metagame most conducive to high level strategic play (not tht VGC isn't competitive, but gimmicks and uncompetitive things like evasion-spam, Dark Void spam, timestall, etc, while not exatly hard to deal with by a good player, are allowed in VGC and hinder the competitiveness of the meta by allowing players to force the RNG to play a larger role in matches. Don't even get me started on Battle Spot, though, who thought things like Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and Mega Kangaskhan were good ideas? Talk about overcentralized xD)and that its tiering system allows for the usage of Pokémon who would never even be considered for use in Nintendo's one-tier format (for instance Butterfree can be used to some success in NU but packing him on a VGC or Battle Spot team essentially puts you down 5-6 at Team Preview).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which metagame do you participate in?

Yeah. I picked Smogon so you can just re-read everything GB said for me. Just a more balanced game tbh. If I wanted to play without any rules I'd play Ubers. And I don't play Ubers.

Can't stand Battle Spot since no one knows what they're doing.

VGC is just a little too pretentious of a community for me.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Blog Entries

Not entirely too sure. I guess I technically play Battle Spot and I guess Smogon since I play Showdown sometimes. Perhaps Other is the best choice, since most of my battles come from PSS~

Smogon mostly :3

The tier system really is great! You can use a pokemon you want to use, even if it's absolute shit in OU. Farfetch'd , I'm looking at you..

Also after seeing the shit at the world Champs Master Division with Spore Amoongus, sleep clause is a great thing to have.

Merry Christmas :D BadAssGardevoir's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I prefer to play VGC but I've recently been getting into Smogon battling, seeing as I'm the Fairy leader at the BBL.
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami), Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Monado (Xenoblade Chronicles), the Celestial Brush (Okami), the Godbird's Soulstone (Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King), the Stealth Claws (Kid Icarus: Uprising) and the songs Don't Ever Forget (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) and Rising Sun (Okami).

Blog Entries
    Follow Alexey On Twitter Add Alexey on Facebook

Eh, I picked both Smogon (OU, I pretty much ignore the tiering and play all my matches in OU, even if I don't have s ingle OU Pokemon on the team and end up losing 7 matches out of 10 with Pokes like Torkoal and Vanilluxe) and VGC.

Battle Spot... eh, it's good for Youtube, because it is entertaining to watch, but as a meta: to hell with it.
    Bulbagarden Battle League Grass Elite Four
    FC 4570 - 8235 - 1086, IGN: Alexey.

Ice Safari (Spheal, Bergmite, Piloswine). The irony of being in Russia and having an Ice Safari is not lost on me.

I generally use smogon, and play under OU, because that let's you use anything within reason. I definitely don't keep to the pokemon actually in the tier. Basically I just use it as the generally best way to use things.

More recently, I found a website called 'PokeBattle' which takes a very interesting approach. Instead of having tiers, it assigns point values to every pokemon, and gives you a limit for your team. A lot of things are still banned, mind, but as a general rule, this means if you run powerful things, you have to compensate by running weaker pokemon as well. Certain smogon rules like evasion clauses, and sleep clause still apply. It's still in its beta stage, but I think it's a very interesting concept, and it could become my main metagame.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I'm a VGC player personally. I just find Doubles more fun than full 6v6 singles.

Blog Entries

Battle Spot Triple Battles. I don't consider Smogon to be Pokemon at all. They play a completely different game. It ceases to be Pokemon when you start banning things. I read their strategies and play on Showdown for fun but I don't take them seriously at all. I only play it because I don't have any of those Pokemon in game or just can't try out some of those strategies otherwise.

They claim to balance things but end up making things significantly worse. There's nothing broken about Mega Lucario, Mega K, Mega Blaziken, or Mega Gengar. Each can easily be countered and defeated.
    FC is 1263 7145 9704 and Name is Drew.

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DasManiac View Post
    Battle Spot Triple Battles. I don't consider Smogon to be Pokemon at all. They play a completely different game. It ceases to be Pokemon when you start banning things. I read their strategies and play on Showdown for fun but I don't take them seriously at all. I only play it because I don't have any of those Pokemon in game or just can't try out some of those strategies otherwise.

They claim to balance things but end up making things significantly worse. There's nothing broken about Mega Lucario, Mega K, Mega Blaziken, or Mega Gengar. Each can easily be countered and defeated.
    Sure, so can Arceus. The point isn't that you can't win against Ubers - a skilled player with a NU team could beat a guy who just grabs 6 Ubers - but in the hands of a good player, they centralize the meta by forcing you to run one or two of their ( relatively few) checks. Want to not get stomped by a MKangaskhan? Better grab your Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn or physically defensive Sableye. Planning to prevent Blaziken from Baton Passing +3 Speed +2 Atk and a Sub to a Kyurem-B or something? Bust out your Crawdaunt/Azumarill/Talonflame, you'll need the SE priority. By banning them we can diversify the meta by freeing team slots that would otherwise HAVE to be dedicated to checks to those Pokémon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DasManiac View Post

Doesn't the Battle Spot have a ton of Pokemon banned from it? Smogon's bans make the game more balanced and easier for new comers to start in.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

I mainly do Smogon OU singles. I know some people hate their tiering system and banning of certain pokemon, but I think it's great that they do that. If they didn't have tiering system, everyone would be using ubers cuz everyone wants to win. And then if I'm a fan of say.. Litwick. I know I won't be using it in OU or Ubers cuz it just has no chance in hell. But with tiers, I can actually use it in LC. I mean that's just cool man.

Blog Entries

Smogon and Battle Spot Singles for me. I don't play on PS! as much lately, since I suck at teambuilding, though. Battle Spot singles tends to be using the stuff I've bred in-game and it can be pretty fun. VGC interests me, but doubles is a whole other ball game so it would take a lot of learning, which is why I don't have time to play it. And the team variety seems very repetitive on large (with the same ~15 or so Pokemon being on pretty much every team [some exaggeration but honestly not much]) when I've watched recent Youtube videos which has put me off a little.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast