Lop sided

Thread: Lop sided

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

Default Lop sided

Because I finally got a response on my "underestimated 5th gen' thread I feel like mentioning another commonly-considered-useless pokemon: Lopunny.

when choosing a status inflicter one will generally lean towards a prankster like whimsicott or tornadus. What I like about lopunny is the fact it can troll those Pokemon

But first things first, the Pokemon of discussion:

Lopunny, holding flame orb
    A:Klutz
    M:
    Magic coat
    fake out
    Switcheroo
    Entrainment

Now if you see a prankster, USE MAGIC COAT! there is a 90% chance they will see Lopunny as a status pokemon and attempt to taunt it. then, when they taunt themselves, you may laugh.

Fake out is good for some quick damage when you suspect an opponent may fake you out.

But the best of the deal is the last two. when an opponent has an irritating ability and/or item, entrainment (to klutz XD) is crazy useful.

any technician pokemon should be switcharooed first then entrained after flame orb has taken effect. Thus decreasing attack power with the burn and destroying their only advantage. Note klutz stops the effect of flame orb.

This pokemon can also learn a variety of other status/offensive moves which make it all the more worthwhile

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lop sided

Can work as a lead. But why use entrainment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Lopunny is a pretty versatile Pokemon, although it really hasn't got the bulk to be an annoyer. The Speed helps but even then Lopunny isn't extremely fast. Switcheroo + Iron Ball/Choice items/Flame Orb is probably your best bet if you want to use it, or Baton Pass in the lower tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    So the opponent can't use their item, although Switcheroo is kind of pointless then.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post

So the opponent can't use their item, although Switcheroo is kind of pointless then.
    Entrainment also grts rid of irritating abilities too (no guard machamps are no longer a problem) and you should do switcheroo first if you want to switch a flame orb (or steal an opponents item)

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

You shouldn't really be keeping Lopunny out against a No Guard Machamp in any circumstance. Not to mention that the Machamp might be running a Choice Scarf, making it faster than Lopunny in most situations, meaning that you won't even get the chance to use Entrainment.

It was my friend and I. My Amoongus used rage powder and I knew that machamp had a fighting gem, but yes it generally shouldn't be put against any fighting types.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An offensive move will be far more effective than entrainment then, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

An offensive move will be far more effective than entrainment then, imo.
    good point.
    I use entrainment because aforementioned friend uses excessive amounts of irritating abilities. it's also useful for quick crippling any rain stalls like toxicroak or ludicolo (though going head-to-head with a toxicroak isn't the greatest idea) it can also semi-defeat the use of air slashing togekiss, speed boosting ninjask and any other anility/item irritants.

for any offensive moves I'd recommend low sweep or dizzy punch for extra effects or bounce for fighting types and replacing entrainment.

Slacker Extraordinaire SanchoSuitcase's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    Now if you see a prankster, USE MAGIC COAT! there is a 90% chance they will see Lopunny as a status pokemon and attempt to taunt it. then, when they taunt themselves, you may laugh.
    A pokemon with Prankster would be able to fire off a Taunt before you'd set up Magic Coat. Just saying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SanchoSuitcase View Post
    A pokemon with Prankster would be able to fire off a Taunt before you'd set up Magic Coat. Just saying.
    Magic Coat has a +4 priority, whereas Prankster gives Taunt a +1 priority. Magic Coat will always go first and reflect the Taunt.

Slacker Extraordinaire SanchoSuitcase's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Magic Coat has a +4 priority, whereas Prankster gives Taunt a +1 priority. Magic Coat will always go first and reflect the Taunt.
    Sweet babies, that's unnerving...

Sweet babies, that's unnerving...
    It can do indirect damage while avoiding indirect damage... although that's kinda the point of a prankster taunt... but it's still fun to mess up opponent's strategies.