Interest in a for-fun group?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Interest in a for-fun group?

Lightbulb Interest in a for-fun group?

Hi all,

I've been playing a lot of BW and BW2 online and I'm just sick of all the "legit" opponents and rage-quitters.

I wanted to gauge the interest of this community for some casual, for-fun, or whatever you want to call them battles. I'm envisioning a community where people can battle using a team of Ledian, Ducklett, Shinx and Tyranitar if they want. Just.... y'know... whoever they want and whoever they think they could make a fun and clever strategy with.

No EV-trained, math-problem, soul-less Smogon killing machines... just pure Pokemon the way GameFreak intended (y'know... where EVs/IVs are hidden )

So, I'm sure this sounds crazy to a lot of folks, but I just want to see if I'm alone on this or not.

If anyone is interested but has some suggestions on how best to manage such a group, I'm wide open for input!!

======================

UPDATE: Group has been started! Sign up here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/just-fun-pok%C3%A9mon-battles/

======================
    Last edited by Joseph-B2; 20th December 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Interest in a for-fun group?

This sounds like fun. Like you, I'm not one for competitive play. It gets too technical and tense, plus the restrictions on certain Pokemon drains the fun away. On top of it, the rage-quitting, special IV raised, and hardcore strategies are a bit overblown and annoying. Just fun, casual battling is more of my forte as well, so I understand what you're getting at. Smogon and the like are way too serious about battling on a "higher level", the game was meant to be enjoyed, not turned into the next competitive, spectator sport. If you could start up this group, I'd be happy to join it, as it would be a much needed break from all the seriousness that most players tend to deliver. So, yeah, this sounds like a good idea. You're not alone, that's for sure. I wish I could help find a way to start this, but I'm not very good at starting something like this, so I wish you the best of luck with this idea. I feel it's a great idea, and I doubt I'm the only one who thinks so.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

God yes I'm very much in favour of this. The Winter Championship was the first wi-fi tournament I have ever taken part in (I've been playing the games since R/B/Y)...and I attempted it with a team of 4 Pokemon - not for their strength but because they are 4 of my favourite Pokemon. I got destroyed. I retired from the tournament after 8 battles and 8 crushing defeats. Perhaps I was being very naive but I thought (hoped) there would be a good few people out there battling purely for fun and without thinking too much about strategy and the like. Of the 8 trainers I battled, I swear, 3 of them had identical teams.

I'm a firm believer in battling with one strategy - 'Lower the opponents HP quicker than they lower yours.'

I'm afraid I also can't offer any advice on how you would start such a group or get the ball rolling but if/when you do, please give me a shout.
    Midorikawa likes this.

Well, alright, this is already a much better response than I was expecting! I actually think I'm pretty good at "starting things" so don't fret, you two, it'll happen! It's just a matter of finding the BEST way to do it and for that I will be open to input and willing to deal with trail and error until we really get rolling.

OK! I'm excited! If we found 2 people in under 24 hours, I'm sure there are a good number more out there somewhere! If you know of anyone else that might be interested, send them to this thread (for now) and I'll start compiling a list of list of members (so to speak).

Quote Originally Posted by Confidemus View Post
    Of the 8 trainers I battled, I swear, 3 of them had identical teams.
    Exactly. It has always broken my heart that there are over 600 Pokemon yet, if you want to battle, you really only have about 30 to choose from... it's pretty lame.

Who else is with us!?

I am down with this. We just need to start battling. Hopefully come Friday I will have wifi again and we can try this out.

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

Consider me interested. All of these 'serious' battlers who IV/EV train (whatever the heck that means) or otherwise take the games far too seriously drive me away from competitive battling, since they have unnecessarily overpowered Pokémon that do far too much and receive far too little damage for whatever level they happen to be...
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

I'll always remember you~
    Blog Entries

This actually sounds really awesome! I'd like to battle non-competitive people, the whole competitive battling thing sounds quite scary to me. :P

Group started!! SIGN UP!!

Just-For-Fun Pokémon Battles - Bulbagarden Forums

PS - I changed my screenname. Don't be alarmed!

Blog Entries

Well, this was a nice treat to wake up to. I'm quite impressed how fast you got it set up. Kudos. Finally, a place where battles for fun can exist. I'm looking forward to how this turns out. Thanks for including me.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

I'll happily help out. I am all about "for fun".

Especially interested in the whole making fun badges and such thing. I'd love to make a pokemon grass team from some unusual ones for people to challange.

Blog Entries

This sounds like it can be a lot of fun! I'm not very good at competitive battling at all, since I like using my personal favorites. Is it all right if I join?
    White Friend Code: 4470-7985-3233
    White 2 Friend Code: 3010-6523-5582
    3DS FC: 2036-7773-9693

Blog Entries

I'm totally in on this. Can't wait.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

you know what would make this even easier to enjoy? the option for rental battles. we just get a selection of random Pokemon and stuff and see what we make... or something like that.

can also help point out whatever trolls decide to impose the metagame, too...

Registered User GameCubeController's Avatar

I love complex strategy in battles. I try to get good natures when i form a team. But I never focus on EVs or IVs, cause it's just a bit much. It's already hard enough getting the exact nature you want for a pokemon. I make teams out of pokemon that are both good and that I like.

This club is perfect for me, but I only have Gen 4! Do you guys do Gen 4 battles too?

Quote Originally Posted by GameCubeController View Post
    This club is perfect for me, but I only have Gen 4! Do you guys do Gen 4 battles too?
    Welcome! And yes, all Gens are welcome! Personally, I only have Gen 4 and 5 so, I'll definitely play with you! However, right at the moment my Gen 4 team is pretty abysmal since I moved all my favorites to Gen 5. BUT! Give me a little time and I'll rebuild my Gen 4 squad ^_^

... and of course, when I say things like "abysmal" and "favorite" I'm talking in terms of how much I generally like those 'mons... not necessarily how strong they are.

Again, welcome all of you! We're up to 16 members! Hopefully we can get some battles going during tomorrow's meeting time! (I'll make a reminder post about that tomorrow in the Group section)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast