How important is toxic in a team?

Thread: How important is toxic in a team?

Add Saithis on MySpace

Default How important is toxic in a team?

hey guys, hope i'm posting this in the proper place.

anyway, i have picked out a team of 6 that i would like to use competetively, but i'm torn with a couple move slots.

mainly toxic. i want to know how important it is to have on a team - is it a must? i know that status effects like sleep or thunder wave are still "musts" as far as metagame goes, but back when i played in GSC, toxic was a realyl important move to get past walls...

is the metagame the same where there's a ton of walls you have to break? (snorlax type), or is everything so offensive that toxic can be skipped in favor of thunder wave as your main status effect, and replace it with a more defensive move like reflect to support your team better?

my second question is, now that moves work a lot differently (special & physical of each element) from the GSC days...which do you think is more useful as a support move? light screen or reflect? my team has a pretty good balance of pokemon - some need the physical defense while others need the special defense - but i don't have enough slots to double screen...so which would you recommend for a fairly balanced team?

i personally have light screen right now, because the pokemon that i would switch in to tank certain hits have some pretty common special vulnerabilities, but my sweepers have poor defense. :D let me know

my current team is:

mismagius
    espeon
    nidoking
    milotic
    hydreigon
    blissey

thank you ^^;
    I livestream online, please visit if you would like to watch/listen to music ^^;

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/www.twitch.tv/cassalina
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Cassalina

and also Espeon and Nidoking are my favorites <3!!

Default Re: How important is toxic in a team?

The fifth generation metagame is fully offense based and there are only a handful of players having success with playing stall. Toxic definitely isn't necessary for success on a fifth generation team, however I would advice some way to break common stall cores which is just hazards and something such as Hydreigon which you already have.

I would say light screen and reflect are both niche moves that generally aren't that good unless you are running something such as Latias who uses it to better check specific threats. The main reason for using it is on hyper offense or shell smash teams otherwise you just make yourself bait to the opponent.

If you post up the full sets in the rate my team section I'll give you a rate.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Add Saithis on MySpace

thanks for the reply! yeah i keep hearing that the metagame is very offensive, and having never played a competetive match yet, i appreciate the information :)

light screen was an option i had for my milotic - but i was contemplating whether safeguard would be a better support choice or not in that slot. any opinions on that? and when i have my team fully done i'll def post the full sets for you to rate for me :D
    I livestream online, please visit if you would like to watch/listen to music ^^;

www.twitch.tv/cassalina
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Cassalina

and also Espeon and Nidoking are my favorites <3!!

Safeguard too is really only a move used on Wobbuffet to set up a smash pass sweep. An aromapheropy mon would outclass anything with safeguard (or just have a status absorber).
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Blog Entries

@Saithis ; Belongs in the Simple Questions and Answers thread. In future, don't make a thread for these kind of things please. Since Takaki's more or less answered your question, I'll close this one.