Help for my First Team - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help for my First Team

Default Re: Help for my First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
    Hey, for Yanmega's first move, you could go with Protect or Quiver Dance. Protect gives you a free speed boost, while quiver dance is just a superb boosting move, although it might be redundant with speed boost. As for it's nature, if you're looking for speed, get Timid, but get Modest for power. So, basically:

-If you go with speed boost, choose protect and probably modest nature, since speed is hardly something to worry about then
    -If you go with Tinted lens, i'd probably take Quiver Dance, and the nature would depend on whether or not you want power or speed more
    I think I'll go for Speed Boost and Protect, with a Modest Nature. Maybe an item to boost Special Attack along with it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by crimson_king View Post
    normally, I would suggest a Ferrothorn for SR, but you have def covered.

Tyranitar would be a great SR setup, maybe a modest set up with Fire Blast and Dark Pulse as well. Plus you get sandstorm, which adds more residual damage.

Scizor would work well with Technician and a band, just put a baton pass on Yamega (though he would be a passer instead of sweeper) and let bullet punch rip. Probably not what you are looking for though.

Heatran could work well, but I don't think he can SR
    Yeah, I have enough walls on my team, so Ferrothorn wouldn't be so great.
    As for Tyranitar, I do love it as a Pokemon, but it'd be doing residual damage to all my other Pokemon as well, so, not a fan of sandstorms. He would be a perfect team member when I someday make a sandstorm team, though.
    Not looking for a Baton Bass set here. I'm just looking for a walled team with some means of attacking.
    Yeah, I looked it up, Heatran can't learn Stealth Rock, which sucks, because Heatran would've been awesome.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698
    Heart Gold FC- 0433-2110-8119

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Heatran can actually learn Stealth Rock, but only through TM in Gen IV. If you need a Pokémon that can defend well on the Special side of the spectrum, then Heatran is a great choice.

well, since you also need a rapid spinner, to keep Yanmega from taking damage equal to 1/2 it's health each switch-in under stealth rocks, i'd suggest Forretress or Tentacruel. Both learn rapid spin, and can set up at least one of the hazards you want. Tentacruel also has the option of running Acid Spray and something along the lines of Hydro Pump, or Surf, if you don't trust accuracy. Forretress, however, would be pretty much limited to set-up unless you gave it Gyro Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    Heatran can actually learn Stealth Rock, but only through TM in Gen IV. If you need a Pokémon that can defend well on the Special side of the spectrum, then Heatran is a great choice.
    Really? Thanks for letting me know. That definitely makes Heatran a much more viable option.

well, since you also need a rapid spinner, to keep Yanmega from taking damage equal to 1/2 it's health each switch-in under stealth rocks, i'd suggest Forretress or Tentacruel. Both learn rapid spin, and can set up at least one of the hazards you want. Tentacruel also has the option of running Acid Spray and something along the lines of Hydro Pump, or Surf, if you don't trust accuracy. Forretress, however, would be pretty much limited to set-up unless you gave it Gyro Ball.
    Tentacruel does seem like a good option. Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Hydro Pump, and Acid Spray does sound like a pretty satisfactory moveset. However, I am considering rearranging the whole team: basically getting a lead Pokemon that's bulky and can learn both Screens moves and either Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes. Do you think that would be better, or would just Tentacruel be enough? I'm also debating whether or not to replace Jumpluff as a lead if I do choose the second option, though it will definitely be replace with the first. Maybe Tentacruel or Cresselia would be a good lead?
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

well, my general opinion with setup is that you want it done and out of the way, as soon as possible. That way, it affects more of the opposition. I may be wrong here, but it seems like a solid concept. And Tentacruel probably wants Lefties or Black Sludge, btw. as for team rearranging, i'll let someone else field that. That's not my specialty zone.

well, my general opinion with setup is that you want it done and out of the way, as soon as possible. That way, it affects more of the opposition. I may be wrong here, but it seems like a solid concept. And Tentacruel probably wants Lefties or Black Sludge, btw. as for team rearranging, i'll let someone else field that. That's not my specialty zone.
    Is there really a difference between the two items on Tentacruel?
    Alright. I think I will use Tentacruel as a lead.
    And alright. I'll do some more research and think about it.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IEatYourSocks View Post
    Is there really a difference between the two items on Tentacruel?
    Alright. I think I will use Tentacruel as a lead.
    And alright. I'll do some more research and think about it.
    The two items have the same effect, healing the same amount of HP, but Black Sludge will end up hurting the opponent if they decide to use Trick on you, and will probably prevent them from doing it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    The two items have the same effect, healing the same amount of HP, but Black Sludge will end up hurting the opponent if they decide to use Trick on you, and will probably prevent them from doing it at all.
    Ah, okay. Thanks for that.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some of the rates given are terrible. Yanmega doesn't learn baton pass nor quiver dance.

firstly tentacruel really doesn't have much of a place in your team. Toxic spikes won't be as useful as stealth rock. So foretress/ Donphan >> Tentacruel.

Tinted lens yanmega is better than speed boost one. Just give it a choice scarf if speed turns to be a problem.

Darmanitan is a lot more powerful if you have the sun up. Maybe a drought team?

rotom is good.

a dual screener won't be too useful for your team, tbh. since none of your pokes are setup-sweepers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post
    Some of the rates given are terrible. Yanmega doesn't learn baton pass nor quiver dance.

firstly tentacruel really doesn't have much of a place in your team. Toxic spikes won't be as useful as stealth rock. So foretress/ Donphan >> Tentacruel.

Tinted lens yanmega is better than speed boost one. Just give it a choice scarf if speed turns to be a problem.

Darmanitan is a lot more powerful if you have the sun up. Maybe a drought team?

rotom is good.

a dual screener won't be too useful for your team, tbh. since none of your pokes are setup-sweepers.
    I actually do think Tentacruel would be good, as Acid Spray harshly reduces Special Defense. Tentacruel also serves as a Specially Bulky Pokemon. Plus, I don't want any status affecting moves, so this would be useful. I can always have something else with Stealth Rock just in case. But, any suggestions for a Stealth Rock-er?

I really would like a Tinted Lens Yanmega, but most of my team isn't very fast, and I need something to outrun them. Would it really be worth sacrificing outrunning almost everything for more power?

Not looking for a sun team ATM. I will consider making one in the future, though.

I do actually want a dual screener, as it lets all the guys on my team live a few more hits, and it also serves as a wall (probably something both defense and special defense is what I'd prefer).
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IEatYourSocks View Post
    I actually do think Tentacruel would be good, as Acid Spray harshly reduces Special Defense. Tentacruel also serves as a Specially Bulky Pokemon. Plus, I don't want any status affecting moves, so this would be useful. I can always have something else with Stealth Rock just in case. But, any suggestions for a Stealth Rock-er?

I really would like a Tinted Lens Yanmega, but most of my team isn't very fast, and I need something to outrun them. Would it really be worth sacrificing outrunning almost everything for more power?

Not looking for a sun team ATM. I will consider making one in the future, though.

I do actually want a dual screener, as it lets all the guys on my team live a few more hits, and it also serves as a wall (probably something both defense and special defense is what I'd prefer).
    If you need a specially bulky poke, go for jellicent. I seriously don't think you need a toxic spiker.

A choice scarf Yanmega is pretty fast. Tinted lens does not give power. It allows you to spam bug buzz repeatedly. Thats definitely better than having to rely on the terrible coverage by Yanmega's stab moves. Go for a dragon dancer or an agility user if you need speed.

A bronzong imported can learn stealth rock(gen4 tm), and the dual screens and do some damage with Gyro ball.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Tentacruel would actually be okay since it would cancel out Toxic Spikes. That's one entry hazard less. Although, I think Donphan would be a superior option as there is no Rapid Spin user for the team which makes it frail to entrey hazard. Since you mentioned you already have enough defensive Pokemon, Donphan can work offensively.

EVs: ~252 Attack | ~252 Speed | ~4 HP
    Item: Leftovers (since you'll be using it to Rapid Spin, the presence of Toxic Spikes may cripple it badly)
    Moveset:
    Rapid Spin - For getting rid of entry hazards.
    Ice Shard - For revenge killing weakened foes since it disregards Donphan's low Speed.
    Earthquake - A reliable STAB move which could be very handy.
    Fire Fang - Just for additional coverage.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2752 | 2583 | 3814

Why does Donphan need 252 speed EVs? If you want a semi-offensive Donphan, go with an Adamant nature and an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd or 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd if you really want to get the jump on opposing Donphan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
    Tentacruel would actually be okay since it would cancel out Toxic Spikes. That's one entry hazard less. Although, I think Donphan would be a superior option as there is no Rapid Spin user for the team which makes it frail to entrey hazard. Since you mentioned you already have enough defensive Pokemon, Donphan can work offensively.

EVs: ~252 Attack | ~252 Speed | ~4 HP
    Item: Leftovers (since you'll be using it to Rapid Spin, the presence of Toxic Spikes may cripple it badly)
    Moveset:
    Rapid Spin - For getting rid of entry hazards.
    Ice Shard - For revenge killing weakened foes since it disregards Donphan's low Speed.
    Earthquake - A reliable STAB move which could be very handy.
    Fire Fang - Just for additional coverage.
    Starmie is a lot better offensive spinner than Donphan.

I agree, but Starmie's frail and doesn't really have a decent amount of HP while Donphan has a solid amount of HP and can also dish out great damage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast