Help for my First Team
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for my First Team

Default Help for my First Team

Alright, well, I'm very new with competitive battling. I think it sounds really fun, so I'm trying to make a team on Black for Wifi battles and such. Please bear with me, I'm new to this, and still have a lot to learn. Anyway, this is what I have so far:

1. Pokemon: Tentacruel
    Type: Poison/Water
    Nature: Calm
    Moveset: Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Scald, and Acid Spray
    EVs: 252 Special Defense, 180 Speed, 78 Defense
    Hold Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Liquid Ooze

Lead Pokemon to set up an entry hazard. Rapid Spin clears away opposing entry hazards, which helps Yanmega, because Stealth Rock is awful on that thing. Scald serves as a somewhat powerful attack with a chance to burn, while Acid Spray lowers the opponent's Special Defense.

2. Pokemon: Bronzong
    Type: Steel/Psychic
    Nature: Relaxed
    Moveset: Reflect, Light Screen, Stealth Rock, and Gyro Ball
    EVs: 252 HP, 132 Defense, 126 Special Defense
    Hold Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate

Bulky Poke to set up Stealth Rocks and be a double screener to support the rest of my team. Plus, I love Psychic types. It's a win-win. Bulky thing too.

3. Pokemon: Darmanitan
    Type: Fire
    Nature: Jolly
    Moveset: Superpower, Flare Blitz, Rock Slide/Stone Edge (preferably Rock Slide but I don’t know if I have that TM or not), Earthquake
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Hold Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sheer Force

Physical Sweeper. Choice Scarf gives it the speed to sweep, and Sheer Force boosts some of its moves. All its moves are self-explanatory. Choice Scarf lets it sweep with ease.

4. Pokemon: Rotom-Wash Form
    Type: Water/Electric
    Nature: Bold
    Moveset: Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Will-o-Wisp, Pain Split
    EVs: 252 Defense, 252 Special Defense, 6 Special Attack
    Hold Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate

This one's a pretty good wall that can dish out a decent hit. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt serve as powerful STAB attacks, Will-o-Wisp cripples opponents as well as dealing damage every turn, and Pain Split keeps it healthy. All the defensive EVs keep it taking hits, and Leftovers regains some health to keep it alive.

5. Pokemon: Yanmega
    Type: Bug/Flying
    Nature: Still Deciding
    Moveset: U-Turn, Bug Buzz, Air Slash, last undecided
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 6 HP
    Hold Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Tinted Lens

This one's a speedy Special Attacker. Just to get in some quick kills when I need them and still pack a punch. U-Turn lets me scout while still doing damage. Bug Buzz is a great STAB move, especially with Tinted Lens. Air Slash is the same. 252 Speed EVs makes it speedy, while 252 Special Attack combines with that to make a threat.

6. Pokemon: Dragonite
    Type: Dragon/Flying
    Nature: Jolly
    Moveset: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Fire Punch, and Roost
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Hold Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Multiscale

Dragonite's an epic Pokemon, and everyone knows. It's a somewhat bulky physical sweeper for my team. Dragon Dance brings it up to huge attack stats. Dragon Claw serves as a STAB Dragon type move that doesn't lock Dragonite in. Fire Punch provides good coverage, and Roost heals life Orb damage. Jolly Nature and 252 Speed EVs let it outrun some things, and 252 Attack plus Life Orb increases attack even more. Multiscale helps with bulk.

Well, I have all 6 Pokemon now, but I do need a few last suggestions. For example, a last move and a hold item for Yanmega. I'm thinking a Choice Scarf, but that would take away the option of U-Turn. Other than that, just some feedback would be nice. Thanks for the help, everybody!

I decided it would be best to have a non-legend team, as this is my first attempt at a team, and I don't want to carelessly waste any legendaries if I make a mistake.
    Last edited by IEatYourSocks; 15th January 2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698
    Heart Gold FC- 0433-2110-8119

♦ bloodshed ♦ Neoblade's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help for my First Team

For Jumpluff, I would just go with Protect or something over Bounce.

And for Darmanitan, you might wanna consider a Scarf over Choice Band. I personally would prefer the extra speed...

Not sure on the last two slots right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neodarkness View Post
    For Jumpluff, I would just go with Protect or something over Bounce.

And for Darmanitan, you might wanna consider a Scarf over Choice Band. I personally would prefer the extra speed...

Not sure on the last two slots right now.
    Protect might be a good improvement. I'll have to think a little bit, but I probably will replace it with that. Thanks.

As for the Scarf/Band issue, I'm going with a Band on that one. I want maximum power out of the thing. However, you do bring up a good point, I need something to be scarfed to have some good speed, because that's something my team lacks. I'll see to it that one of my last 2 slots is something with speed. Going to put that in my post now.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Blog Entries

If you want something with Speed, Sharpedo or Yanmega can skyrocket their speed with Speed Boost, no Scarf needed. Im mainly just suggesting this because Im a huge Sharpedo fanboy, but you can pretty much slap a Scarf on any Pokemon with decent speed and it will work effectively. The choices are endless.

Im also noticing a lack of pure offensive power. Everything but Darmanitan and to an extent Rotom is a wall. You need something that can hit really hard, while still preferably being fast. Another thing Sharpedo and Yanmega do...

If you want something with Speed, Sharpedo or Yanmega can skyrocket their speed with Speed Boost, no Scarf needed. Im mainly just suggesting this because Im a huge Sharpedo fanboy, but you can pretty much slap a Scarf on any Pokemon with decent speed and it will work effectively. The choices are endless.

Im also noticing a lack of pure offensive power. Everything but Darmanitan and to an extent Rotom is a wall. You need something that can hit really hard, while still preferably being fast. Another thing Sharpedo and Yanmega do...
    Yes, I've always prefered more defensive Pokemon XD But you are right. I think Yanmega would be a good choice, as it has awesome Special Attack and Speed. Plus, Darmanitan's physical, so, it'd be very useful to have a special attacker. However, I've researched, and it's movepool isn't super appealing. All I see that I'd really want on it is Bug Buzz and possibly Air Slash. Any suggestions for some good offensive moves?
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Blog Entries

Im not exactly an expert on singles teams, I admit, but what about U-turn? If the opponent sends out a Steel type to take Yanmegas attacks, you can switch in Darmanitan immediately to kill it.

Im not exactly an expert on singles teams, I admit, but what about U-turn? If the opponent sends out a Steel type to take Yanmegas attacks, you can switch in Darmanitan immediately to kill it.
    Normally, i'd immediatly use this, but with a Choice Scarf, Yanmega's locked into only one move. But, I do think U-Turn could still have its uses...ah, what the heck. It'll come in handy at some time. I should edit this into my post. I shall do that now.
    Though, I was looking at its abilities...and they're both incredible. I can't choose what to pick! XD One is Speed Boost, which raises speed every turn, and the other is Tinted Lens, which makes not very effective moves do double damage. Speed Boost would make it faster than just about anything, but Tinted Lens would make it more of a powerful, offensive Pokemon.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Blog Entries

No, Yanmega would not have a Scarf. Speed Boost makes a Scarf pointless. If you go with Speed Boost, that is.

Its really up to you what you wanna do, both abilities are great. Personally, I prefer Speed Boost.

No, Yanmega would not have a Scarf. Speed Boost makes a Scarf pointless. If you go with Speed Boost, that is.

Its really up to you what you wanna do, both abilities are great. Personally, I prefer Speed Boost.
    I suppose Speed Boost would be more beneficial. That way, I'd have freedom of moves, and could equip something that boosts special attack or something, though, probably not a Choice band. It'd also be easier to scout with U-turn. So, I think I'll just go with that. I'll just look for something with type coverage to pick as a 4th move.

I guess for my last guy, I'll just look up a list of everything that can learn Stealth Rock, and pick something with some balanced stats to go with it.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Blog Entries

Sounds good.

Alright. Im not an expert on Stealth Rock, so dont ask me for advice. xD

Sounds good.

Alright. Im not an expert on Stealth Rock, so dont ask me for advice. xD
    XD That's alright. Bulbapedia can give me all the info I need. I just want some Stealth Rocks, because they are very important, at least in single battles.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Registered User Du Sundavar Freohr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since you're missing a good special attacker, I've always like reuniclus. With trick room, psychic, shadow ball and focus blast plus a life orb and the ability magic guard, it's so amazing words cannot even begin to describe it.

By the way, nice avatar
    "fsk you you little fsk. you are nothing but a fsk, you're parents were fsks. everybody you ever loved was a fsk. I fsking spit on fsking you and your fsking ancestors. you fsk around everybody all fsk like so stop being so fsking fsk you fsk from fsk land you fsking fsk, you fsking hear me you fsk? fsk you." A normal convo with a familiar lover of N.
    Diamond/Pearl/Platinum friend code
    4770 6316 3647
    Black/White friend code
    3868 7458 8631.

Quote Originally Posted by Du Sundavar Freohr View Post
    Since you're missing a good special attacker, I've always like reuniclus. With trick room, psychic, shadow ball and focus blast plus a life orb and the ability magic guard, it's so amazing words cannot even begin to describe it.

By the way, nice avatar
    Although I love Reuiniclus to death, I did pick up a good special attacker: Yanmega. And my last spot is reserved for something with Stealth Rock.

And wai thank you. Your avatar is quite fantabulous as well.
    Black FC- 4728-1007-3698

Hey, for Yanmega's first move, you could go with Protect or Quiver Dance. Protect gives you a free speed boost, while quiver dance is just a superb boosting move, although it might be redundant with speed boost. As for it's nature, if you're looking for speed, get Timid, but get Modest for power. So, basically:

-If you go with speed boost, choose protect and probably modest nature, since speed is hardly something to worry about then
    -If you go with Tinted lens, i'd probably take Quiver Dance, and the nature would depend on whether or not you want power or speed more

normally, I would suggest a Ferrothorn for SR, but you have def covered.

Tyranitar would be a great SR setup, maybe a modest set up with Fire Blast and Dark Pulse as well. Plus you get sandstorm, which adds more residual damage.

Scizor would work well with Technician and a band, just put a baton pass on Yamega (though he would be a passer instead of sweeper) and let bullet punch rip. Probably not what you are looking for though.

Heatran could work well, but I don't think he can SR

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast