Help with iv's and ev's

Thread: Help with iv's and ev's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with iv's and ev's

I'm Currently trying to work out the best way to ev train one of my Beldum for competitions and I'm kind of torn as to how i do that. What I mean because its attack stat is its highest I should probably train that up, but after that should i train it in one of its lowest stats like speed or hp which could do with a bit of an increase, or should i train it in special attack seeing as it learns moves like psychic and hyper beam the utilize the special attack stat.

also how is the best way to get perfect iv's is it just trial and error or is there a way that you can increase the probability of getting good or perfect iv's?

thanks in advance

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

Default Re: Help with iv's and ev's

True, Metagross can learn some awesome special attack moves, but a lot of Pokemon with a higher Special Attack can learn Psychic and Hyper Beam through TMs. But can learn some nice Attack moves like Zen headbutt, Hammer Arm and Meteor Mash, so stick with the attack stat. And a mixed sweeper is pretty hard to pull off.
    For the other stat to raise it in....idk really. I would suggest avoiding the Special attack stat. attack is much better for Metagross.

Personally, what I did for my Metagross was 252 attack, 252 Speed, with Stealth Rock, Meteor Mash, Zen headbutt, and Light screen, but idk how well it would work for your team,

As for IV's...I can't help with that. I never bothered with it.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Visit Kyouhei!'s Youtube Channel

IVs are random, but things can be worked out. The old man at the Gear Station will say different things:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
    If the IV total is between 0 and 90: "This Pokémon's potential is decent all around." If the IV total is between 91 and 120: "This Pokémon's potential is above average overall." If the IV total is between 121 and 150: "This Pokémon has relatively superior potential overall." If the IV total is between 151 and 186: "This Pokémon has outstanding potential overall."
    Also, the little message on your Pokemon's Summary determines its highest IV and the possible total of that particular one: Characteristic - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

This epic banner was made by the epic Blue Dragon!

Post Thanks / Like

You need to tell us what role you wish the Metagross to fill. For example, if you are using it for support then run max hp and max attack to give it good bulk on both sides yet still abuse that attack stat. You definitely don't want to be running any special attacks on it (Mixed Metagross isn't great at all) because its special attack stat is meh at best.

With regards to ivs you should just go for perfect in all of them other than the attacking stat you do not use. If you want help with this I can elaborate.
    @metagross92;

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks @Kyouhei!, OK so i read the whole page on IVs. Is there anyway though breeding to pass on IVs I've read something somewhere that you could do that.

and @The Togekiss, I was leaning more towards the 252 to attack, the 252 to speed anyway and and just throw the remaining 6 to hp although the last 2 wont matter they may as well go somewhere :D. not quite sure if id go with the same moves but that just personal preference

@Takaki aiming for perfect IVs in all my stats is what I will be doing and I've already learnt a lot about them, for my Metagross I've decided on it being a strong Pokemon that can quickly take down its opponent.

So the best way to get a Pokemon with perfect IVs is to breed a ton of the one type of Pokemon with positive natures in the stat i want to increase then take them to the guy to find out how they are and if they are good I'll EV train that Pokemon if not ill either release the Pokemon or trade it to another person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Breeding for perfect IVs everywhere is next to impossible without resorting to RNG'ing or cheating, especially if you also have a specific nature in mind. Just thought I'd let you know that.

As for passing down IVs, there is a way that started from HG/SS: put one of the Power Accessories on a Pokemon so it'll pass the corresponding stat's IV down.

Power Weight: HP
    Power Bracer: Attack
    Power Belt: Defense
    Power Lens: Sp. Attack
    Power Band: Sp. Defense
    Power Anklet: Speed

For example, if your Ditto has an Attack IV of 31 and holds a Power Bracer, the offspring will have an Attack IV of 31.

Take note, however: if both parents hold Power Accessories, only one or the other will pass down the desired IVs; unless you get exceeding lucky, it'll never be both.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums