General Chat Thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 345

Thread: General Chat Thread

  1. #151
    Is Not A Moderator TerraTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,798
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    One thing I just learned is that you could use two Pickup users in Doubles with Fling and flinch your opponents constantly, while picking up each other's items (King's Rock and Razor Fang). It sounds like an interesting strategy, but it doesn't quite have a lot of mileage because both items only do 30 BP worth of damage. Moreover, there are a lot of ways to stop it, such as faster opponents, consuming your item like Sitrus Berry and so on. Still, an interesting thing to know.
    Not constantly. Only a 10% chance of flinching and Fling is a bad move in general unless you're using an Iron Ball, but then it's still super gimmicky.

    YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

  2. #152
    Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sunny Southern California
    Posts
    2,419
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TerraTF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    One thing I just learned is that you could use two Pickup users in Doubles with Fling and flinch your opponents constantly, while picking up each other's items (King's Rock and Razor Fang). It sounds like an interesting strategy, but it doesn't quite have a lot of mileage because both items only do 30 BP worth of damage. Moreover, there are a lot of ways to stop it, such as faster opponents, consuming your item like Sitrus Berry and so on. Still, an interesting thing to know.
    Not constantly. Only a 10% chance of flinching and Fling is a bad move in general unless you're using an Iron Ball, but then it's still super gimmicky.
    A Flung King's Rock/Razor Famg ALWAYS flinches. He's referring to using Fling on conjunction with Pickup to repeatedly Fling those items. Please read the whole post before responding next time, thanks. :)

  3. #153
    Miniature Giant winstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    4,463
    Blog Entries
    212

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivillon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    One thing I just learned is that you could use two Pickup users in Doubles with Fling and flinch your opponents constantly, while picking up each other's items (King's Rock and Razor Fang). It sounds like an interesting strategy, but it doesn't quite have a lot of mileage because both items only do 30 BP worth of damage. Moreover, there are a lot of ways to stop it, such as faster opponents, consuming your item like Sitrus Berry and so on. Still, an interesting thing to know.

    Thanks for reading.
    The bad thing about this is that the 2 Pokemon with the highest speed that can abuse this strategy are Dedenne and Ambipom, who have 101 and 115 speed, respectively, are outrun and destroyed by common threats such as Greninja and Talonflame. :(
    Yeah, that's a real shame. Unless you have something like Sticky Web or Tailwind (for a limited duration), it's not quite easy to pull off. Also, the game is rife with priority and speed, what with Fake Out and sometimes Choice Scarf. If those flinching moves do more damage, such as 80 like that, as well as having a fast Dark-type with Pickup, then it would see more use, though not by too much.

    Thanks for reading.
    “Breathe not the sins of others so long as thou art thyself a sinner. Shouldst thou transgress this command, accursed wouldst thou be, and to this I bear witness.”

    Bonus article: Normal-type Reviews: Introduction (23/03/2015)

  4. #154

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    I love M-Mawile. Great Typing and moves imo. Sucker Punch is super useful.

    Charizard Y may have a huge rock weakness, but I usually get destroyed by Solarbeam or Focus Blast. He covers all of his weaknesses, and he's pretty damn fast. Unless I predict right, I usually take a huge hit. At least that's been my experience.

    I usually use Mamoswine to take it out. Avalanche usually does the trick.

    Sig Credit to Caprizant! Check out his shop in the Art Gallery!

  5. #155

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    I'm thinking of trying out a Choice Band Hawlucha with Mold Breaker, I really like Hawlucha so it's frustrating that the flagship Unburden set has such serious roadblocks in OU, and that it doesn't have the luxury of plying its trade in a lower tier.

    CB is something it might actually be able to pull off, I could see it making a decent Volt-Turn core with MegaMan. Aegislash is less of a problem as you can just pivot into your counter as it switches in, and being forced out by Talonflame isn't as big a deal as you aren't reliant on boosts for speed and power. I'm apprehensive about relying on HJK as a main STAB though, wish it had Brave Bird or something.

    why is everything I like stuck in BL
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 18th May 2014 at 07:13 AM.

  6. #156
    Is Not A Moderator TerraTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,798
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    I'm thinking of trying out a Choice Band Hawlucha with Mold Breaker, I really like Hawlucha so it's frustrating that the flagship Unburden set has such serious roadblocks in OU, and that it doesn't have the luxury of plying its trade in a lower tier.

    CB is something it might actually be able to pull off, I could see it making a decent Volt-Turn core with MegaMan. Aegislash is less of a problem as you can just pivot into your counter as it switches in, and being forced out by Talonflame isn't as big a deal as you aren't reliant on boosts for speed and power. I'm apprehensive about relying on HJK as a main STAB though, wish it had Brave Bird or something.

    why is everything I like stuck in BL
    The classic too good for UU, but not used enough for OU.

    As for CB Mold Breaker Hawlucha it sound interesting. The only thing is it doesn't have the necessary move for it to be a good enough Mold Breaker. If it had EQ I'm sure that we'd see it more often, but since other Mold Breakers *cough*Excadrill*cough* do have EQ, it sorta make it unnecessary. The only ground move it does get, Dig, is basically a 40 Power move when is useless unless its STAB or STAB Priority.

    YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

  7. #157
    Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sunny Southern California
    Posts
    2,419
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Sonic Neko and I are about to have a match in the BBL E4 tournament if any of y'all wanna watch. We're meeting in the OU Monotype chatroom, my name is Stuffy cud. I'll provide a link to our battle as soon as it starts. :)



    E: Done, y'all missed it. :P Pretty good match :) OU Monotype replay: Kestron vs. Stuffy cud - Pokémon Showdown

  8. #158
    In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,936
    Blog Entries
    1024

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Has anyone had any success using Mega Scizor in Rotations (or in general) I kind of find Smogon's comment "Swords Dance boosts Scizor's attack, and after two or three boosts, it's hard to stop Scizor from sweeping" incredibly weird. Its basically saying "Hey, as long as its at max attack, it'll be hard to stop!"? I mean, no shit. So I want to know how people feel about its power output.

    I've also been musing about a combo with Prankster Whimsicott and Mega Pinsir. Teach Whimsicott Poison Powder and poison Pinsir (out of all the status conditions, that's the least damaging to it), and teach Pinsir Facade. A base 140 STAB Aerialate boosted move (with Helping Hand support) is going to hurt.

    I'm just wondering though--is 252 HP common for Mega Kangaskhan? For some reason that's the default "usage" set on Pokemon Showdown's calculator. It's not really going to be an issue since I plan to use Mega Pinsir in Special Ratings Season 6 where all the Top 12's of the past seasons get banned, but I'd like to know.

  9. #159
    Is Not A Moderator TerraTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,798
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    Has anyone had any success using Mega Scizor in Rotations (or in general) I kind of find Smogon's comment "Swords Dance boosts Scizor's attack, and after two or three boosts, it's hard to stop Scizor from sweeping" incredibly weird. Its basically saying "Hey, as long as its at max attack, it'll be hard to stop!"? I mean, no shit. So I want to know how people feel about its power output.
    M-Scizor should need more than a single SD to start wrecking shit. Wasting time throwing up to 3 SDs is more of a chance for the opponent to switch and KO M-Scizor.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    I've also been musing about a combo with Prankster Whimsicott and Mega Pinsir. Teach Whimsicott Poison Powder and poison Pinsir (out of all the status conditions, that's the least damaging to it), and teach Pinsir Facade. A base 140 STAB Aerialate boosted move (with Helping Hand support) is going to hurt.
    A tad gimmicky. I prefer to run Frustration when on Showdown and probably Return in game.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    I'm just wondering though--is 252 HP common for Mega Kangaskhan? For some reason that's the default "usage" set on Pokemon Showdown's calculator. It's not really going to be an issue since I plan to use Mega Pinsir in Special Ratings Season 6 where all the Top 12's of the past seasons get banned, but I'd like to know.
    SweperCalc.com has M-Kanga in VGC running Jolly 4/252/0/0/0/252 in about 40% of battles.

    YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

  10. #160
    In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,936
    Blog Entries
    1024

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    I get its gimmicky, but it gets rid of a lot of issues with using Mega Pinsir. I'd like to test it out, but it wouldn't be representative of how well it does in Season 6 Special Ratings. I should still try it though--if it works out in a world full of Rotom, M-Khan, and Heatran then it should do fine in a metagame without them.

  11. #161
    Based Mod Dan's Avatar Social Media EditorModerator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bangor? I hardly know her!
    Posts
    6,323
    Blog Entries
    893

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -Glory Blaze- View Post
    Sonic Neko and I are about to have a match in the BBL E4 tournament if any of y'all wanna watch. We're meeting in the OU Monotype chatroom, my name is Stuffy cud. I'll provide a link to our battle as soon as it starts. :)



    E: Done, y'all missed it. :P Pretty good match :) OU Monotype replay: Kestron vs. Stuffy cud - Pokémon Showdown
    which one are you? electric type trainer misplayed those first couple turns.

  12. #162
    Pronounced "alek-sEi" Alexey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    470
    Blog Entries
    8
    Follow Alexey On Twitter Add Alexey on Facebook
    Visit Alexey's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Ah, the timezones :D

  13. #163
    Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sunny Southern California
    Posts
    2,419
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Glory Blaze- View Post
    Sonic Neko and I are about to have a match in the BBL E4 tournament if any of y'all wanna watch. We're meeting in the OU Monotype chatroom, my name is Stuffy cud. I'll provide a link to our battle as soon as it starts. :)



    E: Done, y'all missed it. :P Pretty good match :) OU Monotype replay: Kestron vs. Stuffy cud - Pokémon Showdown
    which one are you? electric type trainer misplayed those first couple turns.
    Dark

  14. #164

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    I think Quagsire is one of the best stallers. It sponges up physical hits.
    Toxic/protect/Recover, And if you predict a steel or poison type switch in you can go for Scald and if you get the burn cripple that pokemon. Thoughts on Quagsire?

    Also do you think rain teams are still viable at all?

  15. #165
    Is Not A Moderator TerraTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,798
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: General Chat Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by リベンジ View Post
    I think Quagsire is one of the best stallers. It sponges up physical hits.
    Toxic/protect/Recover, And if you predict a steel or poison type switch in you can go for Scald and if you get the burn cripple that pokemon. Thoughts on Quagsire?
    It's alright. This Generation's Gastrodon.

    Quote Originally Posted by リベンジ View Post
    Also do you think rain teams are still viable at all?
    In Singles they'd be hard to do but I'm sure that they are bigger in VGC and other Doubles formats.

    YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •