Gen IV Pokemon SoulSilver team... Can I get some feedback, please? =D

Thread: Gen IV Pokemon SoulSilver team... Can I get some feedback, please? =D

Default Gen IV Pokemon SoulSilver team... Can I get some feedback, please? =D

I decided for the first time in forever, finally, at the age of 18 to make a well-rounded party instead of a powerhouse that I durp my way through the game with.
    This led to the conflict that I've never used anything but my Starters, so I'm not sure precisely what are good options.. After some research I finally found what I think will be my party... Movesets still not precisely known.. I would just like input on the choice of Pokemon.

Feraligator- My starter, I wanted to use one, and I don't like Typhlosion.

Heracross- My physical sweeper.

Nidoking- My checks and balances. After constructing my party I will give him moves to sum up my weaknesses.

Ninetales- Ever playthrough I've ever done, I've beaten the elite four, and then chose an honorary pokemon that would be my.. I guess, special(???) Pokemon. Ones that aren't commonly used, necessarily, but I've always liked. Including Arcanine, Pidgeot, etc. etc. This time I chose Ninetales, so regardless of Viability, this girl WILL be in my party. (I personally find her plenty viable anyway, but leveling up Vulpix to 43 for Extrasensory is proving to be terrible.. Why so weak?) :P

???- This is where I got into internal debates with myself. I originally decided on Pidgeot, but after thinking about it very hard, and deciding that Pidgeot is a terrible pokemon, I'm considering perhaps Skarmory... So we'll put this down as my wanted suggestion. I'm missing a good 'tank' Pokemon, so I was hoping I could get something of that sort.. Suggestions? :D

Gengar/Alakazham- The age old debate between the two. I am leaning heavily toward Gengar, but I already started my Kadabra training, so I guess we'll chalk it up to if I have enough motivation to go back and retrain another Pokemon to 24 without trainers... Such a slow process. :(

Anyway, Any tips / Advice would be greatly appreciated.. :D The ??? Would preferably be a flying type, being as I'm still doing a play through and I would love the ability to fly without having to journey to a box every time I wanted go somewhere!

In addition, any advice on what to do a little differently on a well rounded party verse a powerhouse playthrough would be more than welcome. The game is incredibly harder having 6 Pokemon before the third gym. Some of them incredibly underleveled even, but I don't have the motivation to dumb MORE hours into wild pokemon farming. ^_^;

Thanks for any advice! :D

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

Default Re: Gen IV Pokemon SoulSilver team... Can I get some feedback, please? =D

Level up a pair of vulpixes to 43 and then breed them to get a lv1 vulpix with extrasensory. Give it a Fire Stone and *poof*, it's a LV1 Ninetales with extrasensory. If you really want to you can also teach the father Heat Wave or any number of other cool moves and pass them on, too.
    As far as a tank goes, just about any rock or steel type will do. IMO, Shuckle is actually amazing for this, but Skarmory, as you said, is good as well, and he gets Steel Wing over Iron Tail/Head, which I prefer. Metagross also comes to mind. I personally love a kamikaze-style Rampardos for my rock-type (all power and speed, no defenses), or a big beastly Tyranitar (since you are playing SS).
    Choose Gengar over Alakazam if you decide to breed that Extrasensory-wielding Ninetales, because then Psychic will have representation.
    Hope that helps!

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

Default Re: Gen IV Pokemon SoulSilver team... Can I get some feedback, please? =D

Thanks for the reply. I am fairly certain I will go the Skarmory route. Is there a particular benefit of getting a level 1 Ninetales with extrasensory? The only reason why I was complaining was because getting Vulpix to 43 is a pain... Because it's so weak xD. :3 Doing two would just be god awful.

Also, I've come up with a problem.... I'm facing trainers who have pokemon anywhere to one level below to two levels higher than my party.. should I be concerned about this? Should I be grinding wilds or something? :{

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by THoffz View Post
    Also, I've come up with a problem.... I'm facing trainers who have pokemon anywhere to one level below to two levels higher than my party.. should I be concerned about this? Should I be grinding wilds or something? :{
    Nah, you should only be concerned if your levels aren't on par with Gym Leaders. Make sure your party is ~20 by Whitney/Morty, ~30 by Chuck/Jasmine/Pryce, ~40 by Clair and ~50 by E4 and you'll be fine. You're trading the sheer advantage you'd have due to being over-leveled for one of type-advantage and quantity of Pokemon available to you within the battle. You can be a little underleveled, as long as you're within a few levels of the Pokemon used by the Leaders.

Thanks sir. You've been a big help, both of you. ^_^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by THoffz View Post
    Thanks sir. You've been a big help, both of you. ^_^
    No problem at all!! Good luck. ^^