Finishing a Defensive Team... Help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Finishing a Defensive Team... Help?

Registered User defensive bastiodon's Avatar

Default Finishing a Defensive Team... Help?

I need help with my defense team... So far I am working on a Head Smash Aggron and I have my trusty Bastiodon. I was thinking about Steelix... But I don't know. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Finishing a Defensive Team... Help?

I dunno, Bastiodon has some pretty nasty weaknesses, but if you're intent on using it....

Don't get me wrong, Aggron has fantastic physical defense, but those weaknesses are killer, making it kinda meh on the defensive side. Steelix is a great defensive Pokemon.

I'd replace at least one of the three Pokemon I just mentioned. They're all weak to fighting, ground, and water, making them easy to take out.

Here, have some other good defensive Pokemon:

-Blissey
    -Dusclops
    -Milotic
    -Porygon2
    -Umbreon

Among others, those are just some.

And having a team with only defensive Pokemon isn't a great idea. Get a few offensive Pokemon on there, maybe some faster ones like Mienshao.

Sorry if this wasn't very useful, but I didn't have much info to work with. :/

The only way to viably use Aggron is Trick room or Parahax teams. Reunculus is the best user of Trick Room. Steelix and Bastoidon havfe horrible synergy with Aggron and are both generally awful.

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

2 double weaknesses to ground??????

You might wanna fix that!

A good defensive pokemon is dusclops with evolite. But you WILL need some good Sp.Atkers even if the team is defensive. Try looking into spiritomb.

Ive thought about Milotic actually. I have never been a quick person in battle, so I am a BIG Trick Room user. I never really use any HP supporting Pokemon like Blissey, but that's because I've been trying to get a Dream World Eevee for Vaporeon.

Blog Entries

i would use either kingler or cloyster good defense with good attack and special attack as well in cloysters case

Those two are good ideas... Thanks!

Well I'd recommend lapras. Admirable sp defense and great sp attack. Not to shabby on speed or hp

Soul of the Trees Forest Spirit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Forest Spirit on Google+

AS most people have suggested, you can't have a whole team of completely defensive pokemon. Here are a few Ideas:

Milotic - EV'd in Def. and SpDef. - Hold item leftovers with the move aqua ring. (Not the best but it can work. On the plus side, Milotic does have a decent SpAtk. stat)

Rhyhorn w/ Eviolite. EV'd in Defensive stats. This gives Rhyhorn a higher defensive status than Rhyperior, as it's base stats are only a few numbers lower.

Try running a Blissey holding leftovers. EV'd in HP and Defense. Battling a pokemon with 700+ HP @ Lv 100 holding leftovers will garuntee the battle will last a while.

Try having one of the Porygons on your team, have it use trick room in a double with Rhyhorn. It has bad speed, and trick room will make it attack first almost every time.

(I don't know tiers very well, I'm also not sure what tier you're playing in. Hope this helps!

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by defensive bastiodon View Post
    Ive thought about Milotic actually. I have never been a quick person in battle, so I am a BIG Trick Room user. I never really use any HP supporting Pokemon like Blissey, but that's because I've been trying to get a Dream World Eevee for Vaporeon.
    I can supply you with what you need.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I personally love Aggron, with many oppertunities for me to use them as a Gym Leader. BUT! Bastiodon isn't that good with Aggron, so one or the other. Aggron has Physical Atk and Physical Def, while Bastiodon has Physical Def and Sp. Def.

If you decide on Aggron as your Physical defender, switch Bastiodon out with Shuckle, EV-trained in HP & Sp. Def. He'll be your Sp. defender. Rampardos is an absolutely amazing Physical attacker, abliterating almost any defenses with the almighty Head Smash Attack. Although it may make him faint. XD For your Sp. Attacker, I would recommend Gengar. With a High Speed stat, you can also set up a Trick Room Strategy for Aggron or Shuckle.

And how you were sayin' DW Vaporeon? Well, how 'bout a Syncronize Umbreon? I can learn Wish thru breeding, and has very good Def and Sp. Def stats, without the Ground weakness! Give it a Toxic Orb to pass on the Poison. I'm not so sure about the last slot! XD

Here's what it should look like:

EDIT: Whoops, turns out the Toxic Orb won't pass Poison. Leftovers then.
    Last edited by Bill Cipher; 19th August 2012 at 11:28 AM.

I was using a DW Vaporeon to abuse its HP. It has good special attack, too. But it just hit me that i would have to set up a Drizzle team, which I need to do anyway. However, I see what your talking about. I will consider these recommendations for my next team. Maybe I can finally work up some courage to battle some people on here! Lol.
    Last edited by defensive bastiodon; 20th August 2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Bill Cipher likes this.

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by defensive bastiodon View Post
    I was using a DW Vaporeon to abuse its HP. It has good special attack, too. But it just hit me that i would have to set up a Drizzle team, which I need to do anyway. However, I see what your talking about. I will consider these recommendations for my next team. Maybe I can finally work up some courage to battle so people on here! Lol.
    Well, after I finish training, I might be able to battle. =3

All right! I'll challenge you sometime. I'm still working on a good team... I have some strong pokemon, I just dont have any strategy. Lol.
    Bill Cipher likes this.

Blog Entries

A quick idea that I tried out a little while back that might be useful for you. Someone above mentioned that using Aggron/Bastiodon is hard because of their lack of speed and someone else mentioned Trick Room. This got me thinking. Banette is a wonderful Suicide Trick Room lead, which could give Aggron or Bastiodon the edge it needs to do a lot of damage. A quick moveset: Trick Room, Destiny Bond, Taunt, Shadow Claw, holding a Focus Sash with 0 EVs/IVs in anything speed or defense. Or something similar. This lets you set up the Trick Room, then die immediately after. Then, Aggron/Bastiodon can come in and do a ton of damage.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    A quick idea that I tried out a little while back that might be useful for you. Someone above mentioned that using Aggron/Bastiodon is hard because of their lack of speed and someone else mentioned Trick Room. This got me thinking. Banette is a wonderful Suicide Trick Room lead, which could give Aggron or Bastiodon the edge it needs to do a lot of damage. A quick moveset: Trick Room, Destiny Bond, Taunt, Shadow Claw, holding a Focus Sash with 0 EVs/IVs in anything speed or defense. Or something similar. This lets you set up the Trick Room, then die immediately after. Then, Aggron/Bastiodon can come in and do a ton of damage.
    Funny you should bring up Bannette. I was working on ome just go that, and it turned out Destiny bond was an egg move... Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast