Default DOUBLES Team Help

Name: Virus
    Species: Porygon2
    Item: Eviolite
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 256-SpAtk 140-SpDef 120-Def
    Moveset:
    1. Tri Attack (Basic Damage + 30% Chance of Status)
    2. Icy Wind (Speed Lowering + Small Spread Damage)
    3. Discharge (Medium Spread Damage + 30% of Paralyze on both foes = 60% chance to paralyze at least one)
    4. I'm stuck between Thunder Wave (100% Paralyze), Recover (Walling) and Protect (A variety of usage).

So, which Move do you think I should use?

Default Re: DOUBLES Team Help

Well firstly you cannot have 256 special attack evs. It maxes at 255 and as it goes up in multiples of four you should only run 252. Also the evs don't sum to 510. I don't know exactly what your current evs are supposed to be blocking specifically because you didn't give any calculations but generally with him you should either be going to the physical or special spectrum defensively and running max hp to boost his bulk rather than his offensive power.

I don't know the rest of your team so I can't comment on the rest. All I will say is that Porygon2 is largely outclassed by Cresselia in the role you have given him.

Have you considered posting this as a full RMT? Also consider posting small questions such as this in the simple Q and A thread.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Pokemon Master's Degree! Pikmin1211's Avatar

Yeah, my EVs aren't specific.
    Cresselia? Hmm. Maybe.

It's not a case of Cresselia could be a good option over Porygon 2, it is a case of Cresselia completely outclasses it in this role unless your team has a very specific issue.

Really? Because last I Checked, Porygon2 had more Def/SpDef then Cresselia.
    He also has a USEFUL ability, and Discharge.

@Pikmin1211; Cresselia has higher HP and also access to using leftovers as an item giving it greater overall bulk in bulk the special and physical areas. Cresselia also has a super reliable ability in levitate whilst porygon2's is shaky at best. Discharge is ok as a move, but you can't really justify using Porygon2 over Cresselia just because of it unless it hits something specifically that benefits your teamPorygon2 is really a niche only Pokemon that is outclassed by Cresselia on a more global scale.

Also, there's a math error in the opening post. Discharge has a 30% chance to paralyze and because paralyzing an opponent is an independent event you cannot merely add the probabilities. Instead it would be a 1-(0.7^2) chance or one subtract the probability of not paralyzing twice which gives a 51% chance to paralyze at least one foe.

Ah. (Curse you math!) OK, to clear that ability thing, I thought it was Pressure for Cresselia. Also, Lefties in Doubles = Not so great. And, they both get Recover, so higher HP on Cresselia doesn't mean so much, especially considering that PGon2 has a MAX STAT of 612 def (FU Ferrothorn and Aggron) and a Max Spdef of 634 VS Cresselia's Measly* max of 372 def and 394 spdef (*measly by comparison only). Also in that Chloryphyll, SwiftSwim and SandRush are so common that Trace is good for those. And if trace isn't cool, then Download is. Also, DCharge is a AWESOME move, especially with Electivire / Jolteon / Zapdos / Ground Types. And in Doubles, where it's a constant rush to go first, Paralysis is a HUGE asset. Plus, Paralyzing Half the time is still pretty good.

252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 228-268 (51.35 - 60.36%) -- 89.84% chance to 2HKO
    252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 204-240 (54.54 - 64.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just to compare comparative walling capabilities against neutral hits. Cresselia can also run Sitrus Berry here showing how much more bulky it is.

The issue with Porygon2's abilities are that they are inconsistant and therefore only niche. Levitate is pretty much universally useful.

Cresselia is the number one used VGC pokemon and has been for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Cresselia is the number one used VGC pokemon and has been for years now.
    So THAT'S why EVERYONE uses it online even tho it's UU.
    Also, i was using Aggron's Bulk, not his Raw Power (of which he has both :)
    And, why does nobody else post here? I Still dunno what to use on my 4th slot!!

@Pikmin1211; as I said, unless you can give a specific reason to use Porygon 2 for your team then you should really be picking Cresselia.