Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

  1. #1
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    This is an idea I had for a rain team about a year ago, but just recently put into use. It has worked OK in the Battle Subway, getting my longest ever Super Double winning streak. Since this team was made without RNG'ing, some of the natures/IVs are not what they are listed here as, but are close enough that it shouldn't matter.


    MakeItRain (Politoed) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Protect

    A somewhat standard Politoed set with Toxic to melt HP and Sitrus to live some extra hits. I have the EVs the way they are to make it actually capable of doing damage. Other than that, Protect to stall/scout, Ice Beam for coverage, Hydro Pump for STAB. It makes it rain, by the way.


    Livolt (Manectric) (F) @ Electric Gem
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunder
    - Light Screen
    - Hidden Power [Water]

    That's right. Manectric. It really screws with people who try to nail Politoed or Tornadus with an Electric move, while getting a boost itself thanks to Lightningrod. Its the best thing that can have it, IMO. That Electric Gem Thunder packs a major punch, while Thunder Wave is a good thing to hit Pokemon that resist Thunder with. Light Screen is just good support, mainly for blocking Grass attacks on Politoed. I haven't tested HP Water yet, but if someone could RNG one with it for me, I'd be grateful (off-topic, but hey. I need one).


    Punisher (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 126 Def / 126 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball
    - Protect
    - Leech Seed

    When I first heard people talk about Ferrothorn on Rain teams, I was like WHAT? I still don't get how it works, but it does. I guess it's because its main weakness of Fire gets doused. Pretty straightforward here, Leftovers and Leech Seed for contiuous recovery, Power Whip and Gyro Ball for powerful STAB moves, and Protect to stall while I regain HP.


    Aeolus (Tornadus) (M) @ Charti Berry
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Taunt
    - Grass Knot
    - Swagger

    There's a reason this Tornadus doesn't have Tailwind, and that's called Ferrothorn. It can still function pretty well without it though. Hurricane is massively powerful and it hits reliably in the rain. Taunt is just to make the shenanigans stop before they start, Swagger is to hopefully keep everything I have alive while they slowly kill themselves, and Focus Blast should be interesting against its Rock weakness.


    Kingdra (M) @ (No Item)
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Protect

    Obviously, Kingdra needs an item. I don't know what to give it since Dragonite is holding Life Orb. Hydro Pump and Dragon Pulse are for massive STAB damage, Ice Beam is for the general coverage it gives, and Protect is Protect. EVs allow for outspeeding and for the most damage possible.


    Big Kahuna (Dragonite) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Thunder
    - Hurricane
    - Superpower

    It's Quiet because it's Mixed and I don't want to lower any Defenses with a nature. And yes, it can learn Superpower through tutors. Dragon Pulse is for STAB, Thunder and Hurricane (STAB also) are for dealing massive damage while taking advantage of the weather. Life Orb is to help out its somewhat low Sp.Atk stat. Superpower is there to kill Ice types, which it would be dealing with only when it had to (Ferrothorn would be the one that would do this normally). Thinking about taking this out for a Toxicroak with Dry Skin.

    As far as threats go to the whole team, I'm not sure yet because only the 1st 4 have been used in testing and not with those exact movesets. I'm posting this here to see if it's viable enough to spend time making the team. Thanks!

    CHANGES:
    7/31/12-Changed Dragonite's Ability to Inner Focus from Multiscale
    8/1/12-Chaged Swagger to Toxic on Politoed, Changed Politoed's EVs to make it more Specially Defensive
    8/2/12-Changed Politoed, Tornadus, and Ferrothorns' movesets, Dropped Floatzel and added Kingdra

    Removed Pokemon:

    Code:
    Ninjoe (Floatzel) (M) @ Expert Belt
     Trait: Swift Swim
     EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
     Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
     - Waterfall
     - Crunch
     - Ice Punch
     - Brick Break
     
    The interesting thing here is even with an Adamant Nature and zero Speed EVs its Speed is 135 and with Swift Swim it hits 270.
    I need to know how to make Spoiler tags so I can put the removed members in them.
    Last edited by ZACH ATTACK; 2nd August 2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Changes

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  2. #2
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,200
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    It seems like it would overwhelmed by Trick Room +Weather Teams.

    Much love to Zurr

  3. #3
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    It seems like it would overwhelmed by Trick Room +Weather Teams.
    Ok, I see there could be some problems there. What do you suggest I do about it though?

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  4. #4
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,200
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by ZACH ATTACK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    It seems like it would overwhelmed by Trick Room +Weather Teams.
    Ok, I see there could be some problems there. What do you suggest I do about it though?
    Try putting Taunt on Some pokes.

    Much love to Zurr

  5. #5
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACH ATTACK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    It seems like it would overwhelmed by Trick Room +Weather Teams.
    Ok, I see there could be some problems there. What do you suggest I do about it though?
    Try putting Taunt on Some pokes.
    Look at Tornadus. It already knows it.

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  6. #6
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,200
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by ZACH ATTACK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACH ATTACK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    It seems like it would overwhelmed by Trick Room +Weather Teams.
    Ok, I see there could be some problems there. What do you suggest I do about it though?
    Try putting Taunt on Some pokes.
    Look at Tornadus. It already knows it.
    Yeah, but relying on Tornadus alone won't do much. Without drastically shifting the team, it will have trouble with TR.

    Much love to Zurr

  7. #7
    The Hurt Incarnate Data-Roxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Not to ruin all your plans, but methinks that it may be better to run Inner Focus on Dragonite, since Multiscale won't be of much use to it with Life Orb and no healing move. Also, since it's doubles, the opponent could focus D-Nite and get an Ice move through Multiscale anyways.

  8. #8
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
    Not to ruin all your plans, but methinks that it may be better to run Inner Focus on Dragonite, since Multiscale won't be of much use to it with Life Orb and no healing move. Also, since it's doubles, the opponent could focus D-Nite and get an Ice move through Multiscale anyways.
    You're right. That was a derp on my part you could say and that's definitely not going to ruin all my plans. Thanks for the input.

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  9. #9
    I choose.... WarGreyMon Professor Jacel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    I enjoy looking at other Rain Teams since I also have one as well :D

    My first thing is the Politeod. You have given him 252 HP but no Defense EV's along with it. I always see pokemon in general that when they Go HP EV's they tend to have some Defense or Spec D EV's in Place in somehow. You could always take out some of the HP and put it toward Defense since Politoed in General has Decent Spec D. That way you could take hits from Physical moves better. Leftovers is always a good thing on Politeod as well.

    I tend to use Jolteon but Manetric is still pretty good. A Gastrodon in place of him though could do wonders thanks to its Immunity To Electric Type attacks and Storm Drain will boost your Special Attack if you ever get hit by water.

    Thats about all I have to say. Looks like a pretty good Doubles Team!

  10. #10
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Jacel View Post
    I enjoy looking at other Rain Teams since I also have one as well :D

    My first thing is the Politeod. You have given him 252 HP but no Defense EV's along with it. I always see pokemon in general that when they Go HP EV's they tend to have some Defense or Spec D EV's in Place in somehow. You could always take out some of the HP and put it toward Defense since Politoed in General has Decent Spec D. That way you could take hits from Physical moves better. Leftovers is always a good thing on Politeod as well.

    I tend to use Jolteon but Manetric is still pretty good. A Gastrodon in place of him though could do wonders thanks to its Immunity To Electric Type attacks and Storm Drain will boost your Special Attack if you ever get hit by water.

    Thats about all I have to say. Looks like a pretty good Doubles Team!
    The Politoed has no Def./Sp.Def. EVs since its Sp.Atk. is pretty bad and I wanted it to do some decent damage in case it has to. I understand why Jolteon would be good here (it's faster than Manectric by a good deal, and has 6 more max Sp.Atk.) but the whole point of Manectric is to make Politoed essentially have only one weakness. Gastrodon would be useful I were to add a Trick Room strategy in this, but it would also force me to change Politoed's STAB move to Surf or no STAB move at all. That would be a great addition if this was for Singles I think. I think I will look into switching some EVs on Politoed for the sake of at least trying it.

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  11. #11
    Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    75 MapleRd. Sunnyshore, Sinnoh
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    This looks a LOT like my VGC rain team and I have used ALL of these pokemon at some point in my team`s revision

    politoed needs sp.Def Evs.

    only you have no rain stalls (after a lot of revision I have 3 now XD)

    ferrothorn`s moveset is terrible. a proper ferro-thorn-in-the-side goes more like this:

    Leech seed
    ingrain
    protect-curse
    power whip-gyro ball

    next get rid of dragonite. I don`t care what you think about pseudo legendaries the double ice weakness makes it impossible to work with in doubles.

    I recommend either toxicroak, accelgor, ludicolo, or kingdra

    the first 3 make great stalls (accelgor is mainly for singles but it`s okay in doubles too) and kingdra makes a nice sweeper (plus rain boosted 130 power brine whan opponent is less than half hp)

    as I mentioned before You need a rainstall and a sweeper if you want too stand a chance at VGC. I have used manectric before (and I know how effective he can be) but it`s defenses lack. once koed your team won`t be able to take an electric type.

    floatzel isn`t really my choice of swift swimmer if you want to do damage I`d go with kabutops or kngdra.

  12. #12
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    This looks a LOT like my VGC rain team and I have used ALL of these pokemon at some point in my team`s revision

    politoed needs sp.Def Evs.

    only you have no rain stalls (after a lot of revision I have 3 now XD)

    ferrothorn`s moveset is terrible. a proper ferro-thorn-in-the-side goes more like this:

    Leech seed
    ingrain
    protect-curse
    power whip-gyro ball

    next get rid of dragonite. I don`t care what you think about pseudo legendaries the double ice weakness makes it impossible to work with in doubles.

    I recommend either toxicroak, accelgor, ludicolo, or kingdra

    the first 3 make great stalls (accelgor is mainly for singles but it`s okay in doubles too) and kingdra makes a nice sweeper (plus rain boosted 130 power brine whan opponent is less than half hp)

    as I mentioned before You need a rainstall and a sweeper if you want too stand a chance at VGC. I have used manectric before (and I know how effective he can be) but it`s defenses lack. once koed your team won`t be able to take an electric type.

    floatzel isn`t really my choice of swift swimmer if you want to do damage I`d go with kabutops or kngdra.
    First: I will test out some sp.def EVs on Politoed, I just don't have time yet.
    Second: What is a rain stall?
    Third: That Ferrothorn set actually works pretty well from my testing, but I also know the set you recommended works too, as I have used it before.
    Fourth: I could very well drop Dragonite for one of those, preferrably Kingdra.
    Fifth: I know what I'm doing at VGC. Ferrothorn should be able to take electric moves well enough.

    The main problem is Floatzel is one of the few good physical Swift Swimmers. Kabutops is ok, but if you ask me it has far too many weaknesses. I could add a Kingdra in place of Floatzel and a Toxicroak in place of Dragonite.

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  13. #13
    Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    75 MapleRd. Sunnyshore, Sinnoh
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    a rainstall is anything that heals to an irritating extent using rain

    Eg:
    toxicroak w. dry skin
    drain punch

    ludicolo w. rain dish
    giga drain
    leech seed

    accelgor w hydration
    rest

    these pokemon usually hold HP restoring items like black sludge or leftovers

  14. #14
    Metagame Hater. ZACH ATTACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Posts
    330

    Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    @ShadowBlaziken; Ok. I like Toxicroak there, I think I'll give one a try sometime soon.

    Possible Changes:

    Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
    Dry Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / IDK yet
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Dry Skin
    - Sucker Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Poison Jab
    - Protect

    I noticed one thing: Even with Jolly and 252 Spd, it only gets 150 which isn't going to outspeed much that threatens it, so I thought Sucker Punch would help there.

    Kingra @ Life Orb
    Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Nature: Modest
    - Ice Beam
    - Muddy Water
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Protect

    Here's another Speed dilemma. It could have 212 Spd w/ Modest nature and only 4 EVs, but It could have over 270 with Modest and 252 EVs and it's upwards to 300 from there with Timid as long as Swift Swim is up.
    Last edited by ZACH ATTACK; 1st August 2012 at 10:35 PM.

    Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

  15. #15
    Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    75 MapleRd. Sunnyshore, Sinnoh
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Competitive Doubles/VGC Rain Team

    yes sucker punch is important it can ohko a weak psychic / ghost type if you have high attack but you might want substitute instead of protect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •