Third time's the charm, here we go!
Welcome to the Bulbagarden Battle League! Challenge yourself and battle against our gym leaders and earn badges, so that you can make your way to the Elite 4! This is a good opportunity for you to be introduced to competitive Pokémon battles, as well as hone your skills and put yourself to the test. So whether it's your first time in Hoenn or you've been to every region of the Pokémon world, we welcome you!
Season 3 is ongoing! Sign up now!
Feel free to sign up, this season starts December 28 and ends Sunday March 29. We will also be accepting all participants who sign up throughout the season if you choose to join us later on.
When signing up please provide your 3DS FC with your trainer name, as well as what game (within XY or ORAS) you will be using. We're also available to battle on Pokémon Showdown! so if you have an account there you can use that for battles as well. Have fun and hope to see you soon!
Format: Single Battle, Normal Rules, 6 versus 6
- Pokémon above OU are banned (The latest XY tiers can be found here: XY Tiers - Smogon University)
Note: The ORAS metagame is still settling as it's a recent release, but we'll be keeping up to date on any changes by Smogon and applying them to the league as they happen.
- Species Clause (Two or more of the same Pokémon may not be used on the same team.)
- Sleep Clause (Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be asleep at the same time. Self-induced sleep via Rest does not count.)
- Item Clause (All Pokémon on a team must hold different items.)
- Evasion Clause (Moves that boost evasion i.e. Double Team and Minimize are not allowed.)
- OHKO Clause (One-Hit KO moves are not allowed.)
- Banned items: Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, Mawilite, Soul Dew, Salamencite
- Banned abilities: Moody
- Banned moves: Swagger
- Baton Pass Limit: The move Baton Pass cannot be found on more than 1 Pokémon on the same team.
The BBL aims to cater to all players, no matter your experience in battling. Our goal is to establish a competitive setting for our challengers so we limit substitutes on the challenger's side and allow gym leaders to rotate their lineup at any time, so that challengers may showcase their teambuilding and strategy in their battles.
On the opposite side of this, we also want to foster a nurturing environment for those who are new to competitive battling so we encourage players to consult with gym leaders on advice regarding their teams. Gym leaders are a helpful source of information and experience so feel free to talk to any of them with any suggestions or concerns about your team.
This season challengers are allowed to bring one(1) substitute Pokémon of their choosing that they can swap out any time during their challenge. Added onto this, challengers can ask gym leaders for advice on their teams and are allowed to make replacements based on a gym leader's recommendation, as needed.
Examples of such replacements would be:
- Adding a new Pokémon to the team
- Changing a Pokémon's moveset/item/nature/EV spread
- Replacing your substitute Pokémon
Feel free to approach any gym leader for help but it's suggested to ask someone who's battled your team. Once you choose to make a replacement please notify the gym leader so that we can update your lineup accordingly.
- A challenger will challenge the league using a team of 6 Pokémon and is allowed one(1) substitution.
- You are free to change your team as often as you want, given that you have not won any badges.
- Upon winning your first badge, your lineup cannot be changed. This includes changing natures, Abilities, items, moves, EVs/IVs, etc. on any member of your team. While a substitute is not mandatory, once you have used a substitute Pokémon you may not change any of its attributes.
- Challengers may fight against the gym leaders in any order.
- Gym leaders may change their lineup without prior notice.
- If a challenger loses, they may not request a rematch with that gym leader until 24 hours have passed.
- After obtaining at least 8 badges you will be able to challenge the Elite 4.
- To complete the season you will need to win against all members of the Elite 4 undefeated.
- Like in the games, use a team of 6 out of your lineup in an attempt to defeat all members of the Elite 4.
- You may not change your lineup in the middle of your challenge (if you have any current E4 victories).
- Losses against any member of the Elite 4 will cause your E4 progress to be reset, requiring you to challenge all 4 members again.
- At the beginning of the challenge or following a reset of your progress, you can change your team within your lineup that was used to get to the Elite 4.
- Any battle between a challenger and gym leader is recognized as an official gym battle.
- Send notifications to gym leaders before challenging them to a battle. No random battle requests.
- Any disruption of a battle will award the victory to the gym leader. Any persistent issues with disconnection may be brought up with the BBL.
- A disconnected match will count as a battle and rematches will follow the same mechanic as above.
- Be courteous and respectful to your opponent.
*We're all here to have fun and learn more about battling so we trust that you'll abide by the rules. We will be keeping track of challengers' lineups to ensure fair play but gym leaders will not be using this to scout challengers. Any concerns/issues may be brought up with the BBL.
Participants: Upon defeating a gym leader a ★ shall be placed next to your trainer name.
Challenger Trainer Name (XY/ORAS) 3DS FC Pokemon Showdown! Username Marcquo21 Ice Snow TerraTF TerraTF ★ Apawn Palkia 0061-0809-4165 superbobbobbob3 Iggysaur iggysaur -Polaris- Phantom16 Scott 3582-9077-2660 Phantom16 Fairy Type Arceus Frank 3153-4454-8518 pokehokage ★ ★ ★ FieryFennekin Isabel ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 2595-2869-0097 Stardust_Trainer The Champion 3582-9334-1839 StardustTrainer Blue Cobra Nikolaj 3454-0728-9992 dooziexx Erik 4038-6320-2057 MachDragonX Scott ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 0147-0109-5669 ZiggX Life PoisonManiac ★ Infinity Storm Infynity Emperor Palpitoad Fisken Sune Lord Reshiram Joel 2809-9008-4037 RPJ