A Proud Collaboration
Originally Posted by WiilioYou’ve all seen tournaments. You have your standard singles, VGC doubles, full doubles, Little Cup, color tournaments, blah blah blah… That’s typical. How about let’s take a step back to the good old days and give it a new twist, shall we?
May I present to you:
#BulbaBattle’s Pika Cup Tournament
The main rules are fairly complex, so let me go ahead and jump into that. They are based off of Pokémon Stadium’s Pika Cup challenge.
· Pokémon must all be within the level range of 15 to 20. No lower, no higher.
· You will make parties of six. However, you will choose three of your six party members to go into battle. Furthermore, the three members you choose must not have their levels add up to over 50. For example, if you choose a level 20 Pokémon to go into battle, the other two members you choose must be at level 15; 20 + 15 + 15 = 50, and either of the level 15s being at any higher level would put your total over the limit.
Other clauses are standard:
· Evasion Clause: Moves that boost evasion (ex: Double Team and Minimize) or lower evasion (i.e. Sand-Attack and Smokescreen) are not allowed.
· Sleep Clause: Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be asleep at the same time. Self-induced sleep via Rest does not activate Sleep Clause.
· OHKO Clause: One-Hit KO moves are not allowed.
· Species Clause: Two or more of the same Pokémon may not be used on the same team.
· Self KO Clause: If both players have only one Pokémon left, moves which KO both the user and the opponent (ex: Explosion, Destiny Bond) result in the loss of the user. If recoil damage would cause a tie, Self KO Clause does not activate, and the player who last attacked is the winner.
· Item Clause: All Pokémon on the team must hold different items.
Finally, the banlist:
150 – Mewtwo
151 – Mew
249 – Lugia
250 – Ho‐Oh
251 – Celebi
382 – Kyogre
383 – Groudon
384 – Rayquaza
385 – Jirachi
386 – Deoxys
483 – Dialga
484 – Palkia
487 – Giratina
489 – Phione
490 – Manaphy
491 – Darkrai
492 – Shaymin
493 – Arceus
494 – Victini
643 – Reshiram
644 – Zekrom
646 – Kyurem
Now that all of the rules are out of the way, I’d like to let you all know why I’ve chosen this format.
· This format is very unique. I have literally never seen a tournament run with these rules.
· It allows for more players. Since the Pokémon are within the level range of 15 to 20, getting good IVs and EV training aren't all that important. While both would obviously give you an advantage, the levels are low enough so that a "normal" Pokémon would still be viable.
· It requires creativity. You are limited to Pokémon within that level range; many commonly seen Pokémon (Heatran, Salamence, etc.) can't be used. People will have to resort to using Pokémon in the lower tiers, and even Pokémon that are not fully evolved.
· It's a challenge. There are so many challenges to this. Making a functioning full-party team that can split well into 3-member teams under the level restrictions, learning about which Pokémon would be viable under these rules, finding ways to get Pokémon within the level limit under abnormal circumstances if so desired (for example, Dragonair can be caught at level 15-20 in Mt. Coronet), coming up with new strategies while taking into consideration level limit (moves learned at higher levels are either unobtainable or must be obtained through special means, moves such as Dragon Rage become more viable... etc.).
With all of that out of the way, let’s get down to the date. The tournament will be held from March 3rd through the 9th, giving you plenty of time to plan and test your teams. The tournament will be hosted on Bulbagarden’s battling channel, #BulbaBattle. You are encouraged to come into the channel to ask questions, discuss strategies, arrange your battles (trust me, it’s so much easier to do so in real-time), talk about your battles while they are happening, and just have a good time chatting. As I am in college, I will not be on all day. However, I will make it a point to hop on the chat as much as I can between now and the tournament.
When you sign up, provide your Friend Code here in this thread. Also, PM me your teams when you have them ready. This will be explained later.
Finally, starting February 1st, I will have a team prepared under these rules that you are all more than welcome to test your teams against.