The Birds and the Blimps (RU RMT)

Thread: The Birds and the Blimps (RU RMT)

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default The Birds and the Blimps (RU RMT)

This team was forged around the idea of a BRAVE BIRD EVERYTHING “double bird” strategy; that is two Flying types form the core of the team and attempt to wear down or cripple their mutual counters so that one of them has a clear shot at sweeping. Of course if you look closely you’ll see one of the “birds” is no longer a bird, but a hot air balloon (the first incarnation of the team was based around a Swellow/Braviary partnership). While the team has been remarkably successful so far, there are some definite kinks that I hope you guys can help me iron out. So let’s meet the team!

Serperior (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Taunt
    - Calm Mind

This Serperior employs a fast Taunt and Calm Mind to neuter and set up on a variety of defensive threats, and usually serves as a lead to block hazard setting attempts. What keeps this set from being Sceptile-lite is the fast Taunt, and while it has pulled off a surprising number of sweeps, that isn’t really its job. Overall I’ve been very impressed with its ability to keep the field free of hazards and put pressure on opponents, and it does a great job of keeping bulky Water and Rock types from ruining our fun.

Torkoal (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Yawn

Torkoal is a Pokémon I’ve wanted to try and use for ages, and serves as the sole defensive Pokémon on this team. The little tortoise that could has been an invaluable addition so far, and fills the dual purpose of hazard setting and spinning, and thanks to Yawn he can force a spinblocker to switch and let him spin, or foil attempts to use him as set-up bait. He’s also a convenient counter to the common Escavalier, Klingklang and physical Sceptile. I’m wondering whether I should run a more specially defensive EV spread though, since he handles those particular physical threats pretty easily even with minimal investment, but crumbles like Ryvita against most special threats.

Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Psycho Cut
    - Trick

Gallade is the team’s battering ram, tearing gaping holes in the opposing team for the other Pokémon to exploit. Trick lets him cripple a defensive Pokémon, and I prefer a bulkier EV spread for easier switching in and augmenting that nice special bulk. He’s been okay for the most part, but he’s probably the most disposable member, as there are plenty of other good Choice banders out there who might cover my specific weaknesses better. Such incredible raw power is nothing to sneeze at though, and he ensures Rock and Steel types can’t pester my team unchecked.

Omastar (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Your common garden variety Shell Smash Omastar right here. He’s been pretty good so far and serves as a fantastic Whimsicott lure, enticing the annoying vegetable lamb in with the threat of Shell Smash, only to destroy it on the switch with Ice Beam. Otherwise, this tentacle monster is a no nonsense special attacker who excels at tearing holes in teams (if not outright sweeping), albeit with an unfortunate tendency to become dead weight at times.

Drifblim (F) @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Unburden
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Acrobatics
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Will-O-Wisp

Now we get to the undisputed star of the team. Sub-Disable is an evil strategy on a Pokemon with so many immunities and resistances, and once she’s behind a sub with Unburden activated she becomes maddeningly difficult to land a hit on. Will-O-Wisp cripples flying type counters and wears them down over time, making them easy prey for Braviary to clean up later. “Sweep” doesn’t really describe what the set does, rather this Drifblim forces the opponent into juggling their counters as they’re worn down by Will-O-Wisp and repeated Acrobatics. You wouldn’t believe how many ragequits this thing causes.

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Defiant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Return

This Braviary is standard Choice Scarf fare. If Drifblim is the heart of the team, then Braviary is almost certainly the backbone. He’s brilliant at nabbing momentum and breaking predicted Rock/Steel type switch-ins early, and simply Brave Birding everything in the face late game. The Jolly nature is chosen to outpace other scarfers and Modest Lilligant at +1, and Modest Omastar at +2. Americabird usually serves as my lead against more offensive teams, U-turning out to the appropriate response or just smacking their switch-in hard off the bat.

Threats:
    Rain Teams. So. Badly. The only teams I’ve lost to lately have been Rain Dance teams. Electrode/Volbeat leads are too fast to Taunt without a Prankster Pokemon, so beating them comes down to “weathering the storm” so to speak, which my offensively based team isn’t particularly great at doing. I need something that can handle both Ludicolo and Kabutops, but I’m not sure what. Timid Choice Scarf Galvantula outspeeds both if they run speed neutral natures, but I’m not sure about adding another Scarfer and rock weakness. Jynx and Poliwrath might be worth considering too, or perhaps Whimsicott to Taunt Rain Dance in the first place, but IDK.
    Aggron has been somewhat troublesome, at least the Substitute variants which are a pain to play around. Nothing major, but something to keep in mind for potential replacements.
    Other Omastar are also a bitch, as Timid variants outspeed Braviary at +2 and they don’t even need Rain to wreak absolute havoc. Once they set up, there’s little I can do to stop them.
    Electric types haven’t been too bad so far despite the massive weakness to them, though something with an immunity might be a good idea to block choiced Volt Switches.
    Feel free to make any suggestions or improvements, but I’d prefer input from people who are savvy with the RU metagame.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 18th July 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Birds and the Blimps (RU RMT)

@Winterdaze ;

This team actually seems very solid as a whole, and I don't see anything major to fault you on. I haven't played RU in a while, but I think Lanturn could be a major asset to your team. It can act as a Special wall your team otherwise lacks, beats just about everything on a Rain team (barring Ludi or Banded Tops) and can strike back with a 100% accurate Thunder. It can handle non-EQ Aggron, non HP Grass Omastar and can absorb those Volt Switches.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

@Synthesis

I replaced Omastar with Lanturn, and it's been working like a charm. The loss of fire-power hasn't been an issue thanks to Volt Switch, and even though it can't beat Ludi, it still cripples it with T-Wave. Thanks a lot for the advice :)

Blog Entries

@Winterdaze ; No problem! Glad it worked out well