Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

  1. #16

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Yeah same. The problem with him is that he only really comes out once and is only useful in very specific scenarios. Often in games he'll were something down slightly with his aggressively mediocre damage output.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

  2. #17
    A Broken Pokeball ninfiaVI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Smeargle (lv.1) no EVs.
    Focus Sash
    -Dark Void
    -Trick Room
    -Endeavor
    -Magnet Bomb

  3. #18

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    mew (?) @ life orb
    trait: synchronize
    evs: 32 hp / 252 atk / 36 satk / 188 spd
    naughty nature (+atk, -sdef)
    - swords dance
    - sucker punch
    - overheat
    - superpower

    i'm not sure how well this would work now, but i used this as a lure in bw1 to a decent amount of success. it was meant to function as a lure for a myriad of things, mostly bulky steels and specs latios so i could use something stupid like cbmence to bust holes in the opponent's team. the premise of this set is simple enough i guess: set up a swords dance on something that can't really hurt you, then kill the switchin, which is normally fairly easy to do. skarmory gets roasted by overheat, and so does ferro (if i remember correctly, the evs give you a guaranteed ohko on ferrothorn, provided it isn't in the rain). latios gets smacked pretty hard by a sucker punch even without an sd boost, and i think it kills with the sd boost. the last time i used this was almost two years ago, so i can't vouch for its effectiveness in today's metagame, but if you want, you can try it.

    one of the most frustrating aspects about this set, for me, was that it had nothing to prevent or deter things like reuniclus and latias from calm minding up on it. it also has absolutely nothing to deal with jellicent (if you see a mew swords dance, like hell are you scalding it first-turn). for this reason, one of the things that i liked to pair it with was a pursuit trapper, either cb scizor or cb tyranitar, to keep mons like that in check which can be the scourge of your team or at the very least intractable to deal with. however, using tyranitar diminishes this mew's longevity more than life orb does. if you for some reason think this still works, you can run dark gem over life orb. you miss out on the ohko with ferrothorn, but you're doing enough damage to it anyways to the point where it isn't going to want to come back in anytime soon. using something like shadow claw or even zen headbutt over overheat could work if you're feeling cool to punish things like reuniclus, but its coverage overlaps a lot with sucker punch and what the heck are you doing you could have fire you are totally crazy

    * note that you can certainly use earthquake over superpower. i just liked superpower because mew needs all of the power it can get. let's face it, it's kind of weak. with an average speed stat, a slightly subpar offensive stat, and a mediocre stab in the form of zen headbutt you aren't going to be sweeping teams with this. it requires a bit of maneuvering too: you have to be really careful with sucker punch, as it's one of the most easily exploitable moves in pokemon: if you've already revealed sucker punch and your opponent sends out like thundurus-t or something and you don't know if it's np/agility or not, don't take that risk if you aren't confident that the thundurus isn't choiced. that's why i guess you could use zen headbutt in place of overheat, but overheat is kind of the crux of this set. i think a possible use of this would be in rain to dispatch tyranitar, though you may need to do some retooling. the first thing that came to mind for me was something like swords dance / ice punch / earthquake / sucker punch, though that's probably terrible

    in spite of all its limitations, this was actually a somewhat fun set that worked most of the time. mew, even in ou, is unpredictable and has manifold options. while i think baton pass, taunt wow, and this set are the most viable, if you aren't careful against mew it can be dangerous. it has just enough power to take out a mon or two on your opponent's team and is just bulky enough to take some crucial hits... also, curiously enough, i almost always used this set as a lead. mew's goal is just to kill things methodically early-game or damage them to the point where they can't hold up against your sweepers. you don't need it for much more than that. 90% of the time i used it as my lead, 9% of the time i switched it in after something of mine was killed, 1% of the time i sent it in on something dumb, took like 40 from move x, then went for the surprise kill

    this set is extremely situational, though. use at your peril.

    tl;dr - sd / sucker punch / overheat / superpower mew. worked as a lure for steels and latios. unsure if it still does, but try it if you want.
    Last edited by metempsychosis; 4th March 2013 at 10:24 PM.

  4. #19

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    in the RU tier this Galvantula set is a great wall breaker
    Galvantula (m)@ focus sash
    traits: swarm
    evs: satk 252/spd 252/Hp 4
    modest nature
    -Agility
    -electo ball
    -bug buzz
    -thunder

    this is good in the RU for wall breaking because almost all wall in RU are very slow example: aggron, bastiodon and with one agility it breaks alot of walls also bug buss is there to take out tanglegrowth ( or how you spell it) thunder's is there to take out speedy sweepers in RU such as moltes you can always carry compoundeyes with it if you want for the accurately although i like swarm for the extra power in bug buzz

    it not that bad set i've i've swept teams with it
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^

  5. #20

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    I've been really getting into NU battles recently, and this is one of my absolute favourite sets to use there right now.


    Samurott (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 108 HP / 252 SAtk / 148 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Encore
    - Copycat

    Copycat might seem gimmicky on paper, but you might be surprised to know it is an incredibly useful move for Samurott in the current meta. This Samurott functions well as a supporting attacker and anti-lead that can blast away Sturdy leads with Hydro Pump and then copy their Stealth Rocks as they switch out. It works as a great Jynx lure, as many players will be tempted to abuse Dry Skin to soak up your powerful Hydro Pumps. Then Lum Berry will let you shrug off the ensuing Lovely Kiss and give her a big smooch in return with Copycat. Encore shuts down slower boosting tanks and Substitute abusers, and you can even copy those boosting moves (especially Calm Minds) or subs if they benefit you.

  6. #21
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,225
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    I've been really getting into NU battles recently, and this is one of my absolute favourite sets to use there right now.


    Samurott (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 108 HP / 252 SAtk / 148 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Encore
    - Copycat

    Copycat might seem gimmicky on paper, but you might be surprised to know it is an incredibly useful move for Samurott in the current meta. This Samurott functions well as a supporting attacker and anti-lead that can blast away Sturdy leads with Hydro Pump and then copy their Stealth Rocks as they switch out. It works as a great Jynx lure, as many players will be tempted to abuse Dry Skin to soak up your powerful Hydro Pumps. Then Lum Berry will let you shrug off the ensuing Lovely Kiss and give her a big smooch in return with Copycat. Encore shuts down slower boosting tanks and Substitute abusers, and you can even copy those boosting moves (especially Calm Minds) or subs if they benefit you.
    This set is really well put together, although I feel like you could be missing some coverage. Ever try Substitute over Copycat?

    Much love to Zurr

  7. #22

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    This set is really well put together, although I feel like you could be missing some coverage. Ever try Substitute over Copycat?
    Yep, the set was originally Sub+Encore which I modified. Substitute+Encore is very effective too, and handles walls a lot better in exchange for the lead utility, though you still lose to Jynx unless you go physical. Coverage isn't too much of an issue on either set though, since most bulky waters are shut down by Encore.

  8. #23
    The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    524
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Saw this Smeargle on Battle Revolution Sunset colloseum:
    (can't remember item)
    Spore
    Lock-on
    Guillotine
    (can't remember forth move)
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fire Elite Four member and Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

    Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami,) Shantae and the songs Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye)-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and Rising Sun (aka. The Sun Rises)-Okami.

  9. #24
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,225
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by Alzor View Post
    Saw this Smeargle on Battle Revolution Sunset colloseum:
    (can't remember item)
    Spore
    Lock-on
    Guillotine
    (can't remember forth move)
    Not the best around, Lock-on can be removed with switching out, and Guillotine misses Ghost Types. They could have atleast used Sheer Cold. Smeargle is too slow and frail to do this effectively anyways.

    Much love to Zurr

  10. #25

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzor View Post
    Saw this Smeargle on Battle Revolution Sunset colloseum:
    (can't remember item)
    Spore
    Lock-on
    Guillotine
    (can't remember forth move)
    good idea but, the OHKO clause with stop this from being used in completive wifi battles



    Not the best around, Lock-on can be removed with switching out, and Guillotine misses Ghost Types. They could have atleast used Sheer Cold. Smeargle is too slow and frail to do this effectively anyways.
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^

  11. #26
    The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    524
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzor View Post
    Saw this Smeargle on Battle Revolution Sunset colloseum:
    (can't remember item)
    Spore
    Lock-on
    Guillotine
    (can't remember forth move)
    Not the best around, Lock-on can be removed with switching out, and Guillotine misses Ghost Types. They could have atleast used Sheer Cold.
    Well, this was one I saw on PBR but this is my Smeargle OHKO set:
    Spore
    Skill swap
    Sheer cold
    Mean look

    This work by switching it's ally's (Machamp's) No guard ability when it's opponents are asleep, then (Optionally) uses Mean look to prevent him/her switching out his/hers immobilized 'mons, then uses Sheer cold to OHKO them. Even so I still agree with this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Smeargle is too slow and frail to do this effectively anyways.
    Bulbagarden Battle league Fire Elite Four member and Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!!!)

    Claims: Zorua, Night daze, Stance change, Yami (Okami,) Shantae and the songs Don't Ever Forget (aka. I Don't Want To Say Goodbye)-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and Rising Sun (aka. The Sun Rises)-Okami.

  12. #27

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by Alzor View Post

    Well, this was one I saw on PBR but this is my Smeargle OHKO set:
    Spore
    Skill swap
    Sheer cold
    Mean look

    This work by switching it's ally's (Machamp's) No guard ability when it's opponents are asleep, then (Optionally) uses Mean look to prevent him/her switching out his/hers immobilized 'mons, then uses Sheer cold to OHKO them. Even so I still agree with this:
    You don't need Skill Swap, No Guard affects everyone on the battlefield anyway. If OHKO moves are allowed, you'd be best to leave this kind of strategy to something like Choice Scarf Articuno.

  13. #28

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Name:  Spr_b_5b_445_m.png
Views: 105
Size:  1,002 Bytes @ Name:  Bag_Dragon_Gem_Sprite.png
Views: 108
Size:  331 Bytes
    Garchomp @ Dragon Gem | Rough Skin
    Jolly | 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Swords Dance | Outrage | Earthquake | Aqua Tail

    chic shit. apparently this isn't standard, which genuinely surprises me. anyway, this is your standard garchomp, but with a few twists: first, it has aqua tail over fire fang, meaning that it's probably best used in rain. second, it has a dragon gem. i use dragon gem as an alternative to life orb because i like longevity, and i can sometimes - if i'm lucky - bluff a choice item. in addition, dragon gem has the added benefit of letting chomp snag an ohko on a hippowdon at +2 sometimes. if it doesn't kill, at least it's weakened to the point where it can't come in on anything else again, meaning that yr rain is likely here to stay, unless they have like hippowdon & tyranitar or some combination like that. one of my favorite things to pair this with is scarf terrakion: the stone bull absolutely appreciates garchomp clearing the way for it at some point in the game, especially since garchomp will, in theory, weaken if not outright kill all of the things that plague terrakion.

    again, use this in rain for maximum efficacy. aqua tail is cool and all but tbh it's not good enough to use outside of a rain team, especially when you have better things to fry like skarmory or forretress with fire blast or fire fang. "pseudo-stab" is nice, and the main allure of the move. feel like this needs restating: dragon gem outrage is obscenely powerful. if the statement i made earlier re: it ohkoing hippowdon sometimes at +2 isn't a testament to its power, i don't know what would be. if you aren't running earthquake on garchomp, you honestly shouldn't be playing competitive pokemon. you can run dragon claw if you ~want~, but i feel like outrage is sort of, you know, the point of the set. dragon claw is nowhere near as vicious... i'd also recommend running something to beat the lati twins if you're using this set, whether it be something faster that can kill them or something like cb scizor to pursuit trap them because they're inevitably going to come up, and if you outrage, they will kill you with impunity. give 'em hell for it.

    in spite of some of its issues (which are really just the inherent shortcomings of garchomp), this is still a very fun set. what garchomp lacks in aesthetic appeal, it certainly makes up for in potency. try this out sometime!

  14. #29
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,225
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    Quote Originally Posted by scheisskopf View Post
    Name:  Spr_b_5b_445_m.png
Views: 105
Size:  1,002 Bytes @ Name:  Bag_Dragon_Gem_Sprite.png
Views: 108
Size:  331 Bytes
    Garchomp @ Dragon Gem | Rough Skin
    Jolly | 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Swords Dance | Outrage | Earthquake | Aqua Tail

    chic shit. apparently this isn't standard, which genuinely surprises me. anyway, this is your standard garchomp, but with a few twists: first, it has aqua tail over fire fang, meaning that it's probably best used in rain. second, it has a dragon gem. i use dragon gem as an alternative to life orb because i like longevity, and i can sometimes - if i'm lucky - bluff a choice item. in addition, dragon gem has the added benefit of letting chomp snag an ohko on a hippowdon at +2 sometimes. if it doesn't kill, at least it's weakened to the point where it can't come in on anything else again, meaning that yr rain is likely here to stay, unless they have like hippowdon & tyranitar or some combination like that. one of my favorite things to pair this with is scarf terrakion: the stone bull absolutely appreciates garchomp clearing the way for it at some point in the game, especially since garchomp will, in theory, weaken if not outright kill all of the things that plague terrakion.

    again, use this in rain for maximum efficacy. aqua tail is cool and all but tbh it's not good enough to use outside of a rain team, especially when you have better things to fry like skarmory or forretress with fire blast or fire fang. "pseudo-stab" is nice, and the main allure of the move. feel like this needs restating: dragon gem outrage is obscenely powerful. if the statement i made earlier re: it ohkoing hippowdon sometimes at +2 isn't a testament to its power, i don't know what would be. if you aren't running earthquake on garchomp, you honestly shouldn't be playing competitive pokemon. you can run dragon claw if you ~want~, but i feel like outrage is sort of, you know, the point of the set. dragon claw is nowhere near as vicious... i'd also recommend running something to beat the lati twins if you're using this set, whether it be something faster that can kill them or something like cb scizor to pursuit trap them because they're inevitably going to come up, and if you outrage, they will kill you with impunity. give 'em hell for it.

    in spite of some of its issues (which are really just the inherent shortcomings of garchomp), this is still a very fun set. what garchomp lacks in aesthetic appeal, it certainly makes up for in potency. try this out sometime!
    Haxorus has a similar set, sometimes with a Fighting Gem and Superpower, but I definitely see the advantages in Chomp with a higher speed tier and STAB on EQ.

    Much love to Zurr

  15. #30

    Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

    So this is a set my friend told me about partially i just filled in some holes:

    Scrafty the destroyer
    Evs: 252 ATK/ 252 Def/ 4 HP
    item: chesto berry
    ability: shed skin:
    moves:
    rest
    stone edge
    dragon dance
    sucker punch

    the point of this set is to use dd a couple of times then rest and shed skin/chesto berry will heal sleep so your ready to fight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •