Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

Blog Entries

Default Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

Hey guys, and welcome to the seventh instalment of the BCD - the Battle Center's weekly discussion thread for different aspects of the Metagame. New topics will generally be posted whenever the last one dies down, ranging from Pokemon, to moves, abilities, strategies and more. At the end of the week, the old thread will be unstickied, but people are still free to post in it, and a new one will take its place. If you have any suggestions for future discussion topics, post in the thread or PM a Battle Center Moderator.

This week's discussion topic, courtesy of @Takaki ; is underrated and unusual, but still effective, movesets. They can be in any tier, any playstyle, or any Pokemon.

A very annoying Froslass I once battled really caught me off-gaurd. Swagger and Psych Up combined with Snow Cloak hax allowed it to set up and really hurt my team with Ice Shard, Return, hitting myself in confusion and hail damage. Now, obviously it does get walled quite easily and it relies completely on hax, but it was still a very interesting thing to face.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Battle Center Discussion #7 - Unusual and Underrated Movesets

I use a Choice Scarf Chandelure, which might sound conventional enough, given the Pokemon, but I got creative with its fourth move; the first three were your copy-paste Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, and Hidden Power Fighting. Now, before BW2 came out and I put Trick on my Chandelure, I saw that Energy Ball wouldn't do it much good at all in the OU environment, so I instead gave it a move that's very unusual for a Choice Scarfer: Will-O-Wisp. Believe it or not, it and some prediction got Chandelure out of quite a few nasty scrapes; with full (or near-full) health, Chandelure can predict the Tyranitar switch-in, burn it with Will-O-Wisp (assuming it hits), and survive its Pursuit as it switches out! It was also great to have a fast Will-O-Wisp to cripple otherwise-dangerous sweepers.

I will grant, however, that Scarf Wisp isn't really solid, what with 75% accuracy and the thought of being locked into a status move that's usually only good against a Pokemon once.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

@SharKing;
    The problem with scarf wisp is that it is mostly just easier to switch if you predict that specific switch in because will-o-wisp isn't going to be much use versus anything else. Energy Ball or Trick is probably still better because energy ball has a 56% chance to 1HKO choice Rotom-W on the switch with rocks up and outspeed and 2hko any of its other sets.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes/ Magic Coat.

I guess I may as well post this. This set is very, very scary when combined with some hard hitting attackers such as Choice Band Haxorus who absolutely adore a free turn or an opportunity to move first. The difference between this and other Smeargle stackers- as well as other offensive hazard layers- is access to dual status. Smeargle can spore turn one, Stealth Rock as they switch, Thunderwave as they break the sash and then spike as they go last. This gives you basically a 6v5 match up but with stealth rocks, a layer of spikes, one of them spored and one of them paralysed. The real shock to the set is that they switch to a fast pokemon to take you down (who would likely be able to revenge kill your other sweepers) and then you cripple it, getting hazards up anyway. It gets beaten by Taunt Deoxys-D which is a common lead so if you have nothing to take it down then Magic Coat can be used to beat it. Not that Taunt Deoxys-D is ever a good idea, but people do use it.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @SharKing;
    The problem with scarf wisp is that it is mostly just easier to switch if you predict that specific switch in because will-o-wisp isn't going to be much use versus anything else. Energy Ball or Trick is probably still better because energy ball has a 56% chance to 1HKO choice Rotom-W on the switch with rocks up and outspeed and 2hko any of its other sets.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes/ Magic Coat.

I guess I may as well post this. This set is very, very scary when combined with some hard hitting attackers such as Choice Band Haxorus who absolutely adore a free turn or an opportunity to move first. The difference between this and other Smeargle stackers- as well as other offensive hazard layers- is access to dual status. Smeargle can spore turn one, Stealth Rock as they switch, Thunderwave as they break the sash and then spike as they go last. This gives you basically a 6v5 match up but with stealth rocks, a layer of spikes, one of them spored and one of them paralysed. The real shock to the set is that they switch to a fast pokemon to take you down (who would likely be able to revenge kill your other sweepers) and then you cripple it, getting hazards up anyway. It gets beaten by Taunt Deoxys-D which is a common lead so if you have nothing to take it down then Magic Coat can be used to beat it. Not that Taunt Deoxys-D is ever a good idea, but people do use it.
    What do you do against magic bounce mons? Taunt Deo-d is pretty popular so magic coat is almost necessary.

I used a Garchomp with Substitute, Sd, Outrage, Eq with salac berry and 252 speed/attack jolly. It worked well when most people relied on stuff like scarf genesect or landorus to revenge kill chomp.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb or Hydration if on a Rain team
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 SDef
    Careful

- Curse
    - Waterfall/Rest
    - Ice Shard/Avalanche
    - Rest/Sleep Talk/Roar

Kind of a self-made set after seeing the idea of Curse and Ice Shard Lapras in the Battle Factory in Gen IV. Despite being rarely used even in NU, it can be a great set up sweeper, especially in the lower tiers.

@Lord Clowncrete; I see Magic bouncers in team preview and lead with something else. I usually wait to remove them and then bring Smeargle out to nab a spore. Magic Bounce users are generally only good because of Magic Bounce so my opponent having one mostly just makes it a 5v5 which kind of suits me.

Also, although it is kind of common in BW1 (I have no clue why) Taunt Deoxys-D is absolutely terrible and I have no idea why it would be used over the superior offensive set with Psycho boost and Thunder/HP Fire which is pretty much the best set in the tier right now.

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

I had a mainly defensive UU team I was trying out, and I ran a kinda unique set on a Mismagius that worked reasonably well for me, but requires a fair bit of prediction.

Mismagius (F) @ Red Card
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Taunt
    - Heal Bell
    - Magic Coat
    - Destiny Bond

The entire purpose of this set was to act as a support for the Pokemon I had; Alomomola, Cresselia, Zapdos, Shaymin, and Weavile. She would heal status, and shut down any kind of a threat that had set up or was trying to. Taunt was used for pretty obvious reasons, shutting down opposing Pokemon's attempts at stalling or setting up hazards, etc. Heal Bell was to cute status on the aforementioned Pokemon, as most of the team doesn't really appreciate status bar Shaymin, who was my direct status absorber.

Magic Coat was on the team to hit other support Mismagius, who might try to Taunt or WoW my Mismagius, or predict a switch. I also used it to reflect hazards back to the other team, since I didn't have a Pokemon to set any up. Destiny Bond works in the same way the Red Card does, essentially. Mismagius comes in on something that's set up and can break through my walls, and forces them out with Red Card, or subsequently get them to KO themselves with Destiny Bond. It did require a bit of prediction, but I managed to shut down the likes of Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Honchkrow for my team, which made their job with stalling a lot easier, and gave Weavile more breathing room.

Blog Entries

Protect on Gengar with HP Fire, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast has been pretty useful for Scizor and Genesect.

Much love to Zurr

@Angad; With that set I always find it hard to fit on a team since its main niche, spinblocking, is almost null with its terrible bulk on the set.

Pokemon Master's Degree! Pikmin1211's Avatar

7 Words: Scarf Smeargle with Dark Void in Doubles.

Blog Entries

@Angad; With that set I always find it hard to fit on a team since its main niche, spinblocking, is almost null with its terrible bulk on the set.
    It's pretty specialized for teams that need to cut off momentum from Genesect and Scizor.

Much love to Zurr

@Pikmin1211; It's banned in most metagames that are worth playing.
    Last edited by Takaki; 9th November 2012 at 07:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Protect on Gengar with HP Fire, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast has been pretty useful for Scizor and Genesect.
    Alakazam can do this(the luring part) better with protect, hp fire, psychic and focus blast. You can also use it to revenge threats with a sash.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Psychic vs Psyshock on Alakazam because you are picking better damage on the blobs or on stuff like Gliscor.

Blog Entries

Psychic vs Psyshock on Alakazam because you are picking better damage on the blobs or on stuff like Gliscor.
    I would say psyshock is better. It almost 2hkoes Blissey if you go with LO and works well against Terrakion in sandstorm. Although, it still can't touch Chansey:
    252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 231-274 (32.81 - 38.92%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast