5th Gen OU RMT - Team Razor Fang

Thread: 5th Gen OU RMT - Team Razor Fang

Default 5th Gen OU RMT - Team Razor Fang

TEAM RAZOR FANG

Hello. My goal was to build a solid competitive team that I would be able to turn into a real team, on the cartridge. This is difficult for me, because I don’t have wi-fi to trade or acquire event exclusives and Dream world Pokemon. But I can at least try. It’s not perfect, but it’s probably the best team I’ve made so far. Without further ado, I present you: Razor Fang!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

I built this team around an Acrobatics Gliscor, because I think it has potential and it doesn’t require a Dream World ability. To activate Sand Veil, I needed Sandstorm support. This left me with two choices; Hippowdon or Tyranitar. I chose Tyranitar, because I like to play offensive. The Choice Scarf set is chosen because my team was/still is rather slow. I needed a revenge killer. While it isn’t as fit for the role as for example Latios or Terrakion, it can outspeed most Psychic- and Ghost-types, which will be nicely trapped by Pursuit+Crunch and eliminated. I also surprise many opposing Tyranitar, which will only survive if they’re holding a Chople Berry. It’s also fun to revenge kill Sun threats like Venusaur and Sawsbuck, taking away their Chlorophyll boost and killing them with Ice Punch. Because I don’t have Stone Edge, I miss out on revenge killing Gyarados and Ninetales, but I gain a more accurate surprise check to Virizion, Haxorus, Landorus(-T) and the aforementioned Sun threats, which is definitely worth it in my opinion. It’s also a check against Thundurus, normal Tornadus and SD Terrakion.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

This is a very bulky Rotom-W, which counters Skarmory, Landorus, Gliscor, and lots of Rain threats like Tornadus-T and Politoed. Without Rotom-W this team would have many difficulties with Cloyster (especially in Rain), which would otherwise easily destroy the other members after a Shell Smash. It’s a bit sad that Rotom-W doesn’t get Recover, but Pain Split works too (albeit less effective). With Volt Switch we can make a little VoltTurn strategy with Scizor, which can put me in an advantageous position. Will-O-Wisp gives the team status support against dangerous physical sweepers, which often try to switch in and set up on Rotom-W. The EVs are focused on Special Defense, because this is our most prominent counter to Tornadus-T, and I wanted it to be able to take Hurricanes easily, while also still handling Cloyster and other physical threats well. Because I haven’t invested in Speed, the Volt Switch is slow, which means Rotom-W takes the hit and the next Pokemon is brought out unharmed.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar

Heatran is the phazer of the team, and also lays down Stealth Rock effectively. Earth Power is chosen over Protect because it’s a Sandstorm team, so the Leftovers benefit would be nullified anyway. Heatran also destroys those annoying Steel-type, like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress and Genesect, which would otherwise bother Gliscor and Latias immensely. Jirachi and Volcarona become less of a problem too. Without Heatran and Latias, the team would have troubles with Sun teams, but now it doesn’t (except when there's a Dugtrio). The extra Speed makes sure that we can Earth Power other specially defensive Heatran.

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

I think Scizor is great for a team with Speed problems. It’s a very good revenge killer with a boosted Bullet Punch. U-turn is used to scout, and Pursuit is used to trap things when Tyranitar is down. Or should I make that Quick Attack? It’s almost never used. Superpower catches Magnezone and Heatran on the switch (awesome when it happens). The EVs are standard, max Attack and as much HP as possible without becoming while still being able to switch into Stealth Rocks 8 times without dying (theoretically). Scizor is probably the most replaceable member in the team, but its priority is a great asset.

Latias @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover
    - Substitute

Latias is great against teams that rely on common Fire-, Water-, Electric- and Grass-type attacks. She sets up on them easily. Substitute prevents Pokemon from using Toxic on her, and also acts as a safety buffer against Scald burns, Pursuit-users and critical hits too. Without Latias this team would be super-weak against Vaporeon especially. It's hard to bring her in if the opponent Toxics her on the switch though. Ice Beams often don't kill her, and she can even set up on them. But once I've set up, it's easy for her to get walled by something, especially Steel-types that resist Dragon Pulse. I don't really know what I can do about that. I've tried Hidden Power Fire, but that would make me weaker to status, and is useless when Steel-types are used in Rain.

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Acrobatics
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake

THE BATMON. I actually had my first full turn-around-sweep with this Pokemon (most of the time people just disconnect). Substitute with Sand Veil is annoying for my opponent (and annoying for me if I’m facing another Acrobatics Gliscor, which has happened before). I don't really rely on it too much, but it's nice when it happens. I've chosen Swords Dance instead of Agility, despite the fact that the team is slow, because I really likes the power of the boosted moves, and faster threats aren't really a problem if I have Substitute up. I've also tried replacing Substitute with Agility, to make it sort of like a double dancer, but I like the safety buffer of Substitute, so Agility doesn't get a place on the moveset. Acrobatics + Flying Gem is a 165 BP move on the first use, not even including STAB yet. It’s also a great offensive type now with all the Fighting-types. Earthquake is great against Steel-types. Except for Skarmory. Which walls 4/6 of my team. Maximum Speed to outspeed as much as possible, and 252 Attack EVs because this is an offensive Gliscor. 

That's it, I think. Please help me improve it, or tell me whether this team is worth making for real or not. Thank you for your time.

Default Re: 5th Gen OU RMT - Team Razor Fang

On Gliscor, Adament should be chosen over Jolly as no real threats are outsped by running the speed boosting nature and Gliscor really needs the attack boost.

If you are concerned about Status then run Refresh on Latias over Substitute.

Bulky Volcarona really causes your team trouble if it is the last thing the opponent brings out because Heatran is unable to phase it. I suggest running Toxic over Roar for this reason. Also, because you are running a slow Heatran, their is really no reason to run Earth Power (As the only thing it really hits is other Heatran who usually carry Air Balloon and can outspeed you) and you also have no way of effectively beating Dragonite that run Dragon Claw over Outrage. Therefore I suggest that you run Hidden Power Ice and Air Balloon which allows you to 1HKO it with rocks running the following evs spread: Calm @ 248HP, 168 SpAttack, 68 Sp Def and 8 speed. This sacrifices physical bulk (Heatran doesn't really need physical bulk anyway) for increased special Bulk and the ability to 1HKO Dragonite and Mence after Rocks.

With Rotom-W, if you plan on running a bulky set then I recommended running Bold and moving those EVs to defense because you already have Latias to tank those heavy Rain attacks whilst Rotom-W will then be able to better deal with opposing Gliscor, Landorus and Tyranitar with this investment.

Ice Punch really isn't necessary on Tyranitar because it is outsped by +1 Dragonite anyway and thus cannot revenge kill whilst Stone Edge offers a much more reliable stab option and a way to pose more of a threat to be switched in to.

Overall your team seems reasonably good. If you need any more help just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Bulky Volcarona really causes your team trouble if it is the last thing the opponent brings out because Heatran is unable to phase it. I suggest running Toxic over Roar for this reason. Also, because you are running a slow Heatran, their is really no reason to run Earth Power (As the only thing it really hits is other Heatran who usually carry Air Balloon and can outspeed you) and you also have no way of effectively beating Dragonite that run Dragon Claw over Outrage. Therefore I suggest that you run Hidden Power Ice and Air Balloon which allows you to 1HKO it with rocks running the following evs spread: Calm @ 248HP, 168 SpAttack, 68 Sp Def and 8 speed. This sacrifices physical bulk (Heatran doesn't really need physical bulk anyway) for increased special Bulk and the ability to 1HKO Dragonite and Mence after Rocks.

Ice Punch really isn't necessary on Tyranitar because it is outsped by +1 Dragonite anyway and thus cannot revenge kill whilst Stone Edge offers a much more reliable stab option and a way to pose more of a threat to be switched in to.
    Thank you for these suggestions! I'll try them out.
    Two questions though:
    Wouldn't it be weird to have a Heatran that's walled by Fire-types? Or would I be able to Toxic stall them somehow (without a recovery move)?
    If I change Ice Punch to Stone Edge, will the team still be able to handle Virizion well enough?

Fire types are really not a concern to Heatran. The only notably Fire Type in this generation is Victini who can't touch you anyway. The only other is Heatran which beats your anyway if it running offensive.

Depending on what Virizion runs for coverage you will always have something that can kill it. Stone Edge is pretty much Tyranitars most scary stab.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Fire types are really not a concern to Heatran. The only notably Fire Type in this generation is Victini who can't touch you anyway. The only other is Heatran which beats your anyway if it running offensive.

Depending on what Virizion runs for coverage you will always have something that can kill it. Stone Edge is pretty much Tyranitars most scary stab.
    Hey, I've tried out your suggestions and they're great. I've never won so many battles in a row. Thanks!

No problem.