2013 Winter Friendly... hmm...

Thread: 2013 Winter Friendly... hmm...

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

Default 2013 Winter Friendly... hmm...

okay, so signups for this latest competition is getting close to the deadline, and I'm taken part after missing the January International, and wonder who else is taking part.

while I am greatly more confident seeing as how I've done fairly well with rotation battles, there's a couple of things I'm curious about...

1) as it turns out, Pokemon that are Looked down upon by those among the hardcore metagame (ubers) are allowed in this. while I'm not too bothered by the concept, what does everyone else think about it?

2) okay, so Dark Void and Sky Drop are banned, which I can easily understand for the latter's glitch, but what is it about Chatot that isn't allowed?

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2013 Winter Friendly... hmm...

I'm pretty terrible at Rotations, but I'm too competitive for my own good and signed up with a makeshift team.

As for the ubers, I'm not a fan of them, but quite honestly it shouldn't provide too much of a problem. If they're simply a casual player, a competitive player should be able to defeat them. Now if they're competitive, well, you're pretty much screwed. Besides, non-special ubers have been used in the past so it's not too major of a deal. (I reserve the right to modify this post and rant if I get slaughtered by ubers. lol)

And Chatot has Chatter.

I'm surprised the only thread about the 2013 Winter Friendly other than the announcement thread hasn't got much activity.

I'm doing pretty terribly with my in-game team, having an overall rating of about 1305 in this competition. When I'm not losing most of the time, if I come close to winning I've been getting used to seeing this screen pop up:

I think I've only won twice? If people didn't keep disconnecting (I assume, I'm not sure the servers would be so bad as to kick disconnect both players this often), my rating would likely be 100 points higher.

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

that's kind of a problem, upon last recall, having a high disconnect rate will result in DQ, whether it be servers or just poor sports...

in the meantime, I'm likely going for the bare minimum this time, just get maybe fifteen battles or so in, and hang it up. turns out I'm facing competetive ubers, and it's worn down my patience very quickly... now I can see why these things were looked down upon... it's only a shame how it's so difficult to fight back in Rotation battles...

I have, however, noticed that every uber team outsped me right away... I get the feeling that perhaps I aught to consider making a trick room team next time around, perhaps have a Pokemon with Endure, a Custap Berry (I grew a lot, so I got spares), and the key move aught to get things underway...

Apparently you'll only be disqualified if you're the one disconnecting, however if you're the victim of a disconnect you unfortunately also have a loss recorded (thankfully not on your Overall Rank). It's quite annoying. I've played around 30 matches so far, and only a few individuals have been good sports by giving me my chance to win when I gain the upper hand. All others disconnect.

Tonight I fought an individual with a shiny Arceus and a shiny Palkia. His shiny Palkia one-hit KO all of my Pokemon except for Braviary, despite the move (Spacial Rend) not being super effective or even a critical hit on any of them. I thought it was very suspicious.

Blog Entries

They won't let in Pokemon with hacked stats or movesets, but I'll admit that Nintendo's hack checks are complete shit. Not to mention that Arceus can't be shiny...

I honestly only ran into a couple competitive uber teams, though I only did about 12 battles. Honestly, I shot myself in the foot most of the time because I simply can't predict in Rotations. At least I finished with a rating slightly over 1500. (My one talent is knowing when to quit.)

I'm not sure how the DC rates are actually done, but I recall reading on the rules once that it depends on Rank. Over 1600, a DC rate with a variation of 10% higher is DQ'd. It's something like 15% for below 1600, I think. That is if they still use that formula.

Out of 6939 participants, I came 6860th. Damn. I was hoping I'd do so bad as to come in last place. Now, that'd be quite the feat.
    Last edited by Heredity; 20th February 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Well Sadly this was my first turny ever. I brought OU's to an Uber game and I DC'd 3 games and got unwillingly Dc'd 2 times out of 40 games

my record is 36 and 4 with a 1756 rating
    sadly I got Dq'd apprently and I'm still trying to figure out why.

the games I dc'd my self I will admit were to stupid op Uber teams but, I shouldn't have dc'd so i will take my DQ. I just want to know why tho -_-
    Last edited by Shiftn; 21st February 2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: punc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftn View Post
    Well Sadly this was my first turny ever. I brought OU's to an Uber game and I DC'd 3 games and got unwillingly Dc'd 2 times out of 40 games

my record is 36 and 4 with a 1756 rating
    sadly I got Dq'd apprently and I'm still trying to figure out why.

the games I dc'd my self I will admit were to stupid op Uber teams but, I shouldn't have dc'd so i will take my DQ. I just want to know why tho -_-
    If we go by LadyScathach's post, the factor that comes into being disqualified is a variance of 10% (so, around 10% I guess) in DC's when referencing your record (I believe).

10% of 40 (36 wins + 4 losses) is 4, which should work as a reference point. If we factor in the two unwilling DC's, you DC'd 5 times. That's 12.5% of your total recorded matches. If we only factor in the 3 DC's you did on purpose, that's 7.5% of your total recorded matches. That's fairly close to 10%, being only 2.5% off.

So, basically I think those DC's are what caused you to be disqualified.

Blog Entries

I found the old rules thing. Granted it's about half a year old and the rules may have changed, but here they are.
    http://pglhelp.pokemon.com/en/gbu/05_10/ (Under the "About the Rankings" section.)

Honestly if you only DC'd 5/40, it seems pretty low, but eh.

That aside, I'm pretty surprised that I finished 1230/6939... Seriously, 1536 isn't much higher than the starting rank...

It may seem pretty low, but if it's above the average (according to those rules, which aren't too different to the 2013 Winter Friendly) DC's then it'd likely result in a DQ.

I wonder how many individuals were disqualified?