2012 VGCS Winter Battle, who's taking part? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 VGCS Winter Battle, who's taking part?

Default Re: 2012 VGCS Winter Battle, who's taking part?

I'm in the Masters division, which I find astoundingly ironic given this being the first tourney I've ever entered on this. I had quite a few disconnects on Thursday night when I found it apparently started early, I had a 50-50 streak going for the next day, a bit of an off day this morning, and I've been gradually getting better so far...

this whole ratings thing is very fickle, too. I'm not quite sure how it works, but I've faced quite a few cases where I barely get any points (or even lose a few) despite winning a battle... perhaps it works on evaluating choice in matchups or skilled decision making or something...

I've got about 61 battles or so at the moment, I'm taking a few minutes to collect my thoughts as I was losing the past couple matches badly against Rain Weather teams...

Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure ratings are calculated based on the difference between your ranking and the opponents ranking and then the margin of victory.

And yeah. Take breaks. A lot of them. lol

uuuugh, every team I'm seeing, I'm facing a Lati@s, Reuniclus, Flygon, Tyranitar, or even the occasional Hitmontop or Garchomp...

it's getting really old, is this truly what people call "Pro" competetive Pokemon players? it's disgusting, irritating, and my team can't really handle them...!

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I am! After just over 100 battles, my rating is just over 1700. It's hard when there's so many people out there disconnecting. I swear though, things got 100x harder once I hit 1700. Can't seem to get my rating up at all! Funny story though - at midnight on the day the tournament started, I was talking to a friend on Facebook who was also entering it...and we ended up getting paired up xD.

The biggest pain in the butt for me this tournament is Storm Drain Gastrodon. They are absolutely evil!

In regards to DCs. I was disqualified from one of the Wi-Fi Friendlies because there were too many DCs against my account (I didn't DC - other people did and TPCi have no way of finding out who did it). I think the formula is something like, if the disconnect rate of your battles is equal to or more than the average disconnect rate of the tournament +10%, you're kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I am! After just over 100 battles, my rating is just over 1700. It's hard when there's so many people out there disconnecting. I swear though, things got 100x harder once I hit 1700. Can't seem to get my rating up at all! Funny story though - at midnight on the day the tournament started, I was talking to a friend on Facebook who was also entering it...and we ended up getting paired up xD.

The biggest pain in the butt for me this tournament is Storm Drain Gastrodon. They are absolutely evil!

In regards to DCs. I was disqualified from one of the Wi-Fi Friendlies because there were too many DCs against my account (I didn't DC - other people did and TPCi have no way of finding out who did it). I think the formula is something like, if the disconnect rate of your battles is equal to or more than the average disconnect rate of the tournament +10%, you're kicked out.
    I agree with the analysis of Gastrodon. I keep telling myself to add Viriz or something to my team, but then Cressie completely walls me. Of course, I could just shift my focus from a rain-based team to a more anti-weather approach and that would solve most of my problems...

Congratulations on the 1700+ rating though! (How'd you do it? XD) I tend to quit around the 1650's because of the same reason you quit around the 1700's.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix502 View Post
    uuuugh, every team I'm seeing, I'm facing a Lati@s, Reuniclus, Flygon, Tyranitar, or even the occasional Hitmontop or Garchomp...

it's getting really old, is this truly what people call "Pro" competetive Pokemon players? it's disgusting, irritating, and my team can't really handle them...!
    What kind of team are you using? TR teams usually beat me, and I'll be the first person to give you a five-page rant on the Lait's, but Flygon and Gar shouldn't be too bad. Well, if you've got a Scarf'd Gar spamming Rock Slide, I can see how that might be a problem, but players, with the exception of a few outliers, usually stay away from Choice items in doubles (though I saw a couple Scarf'd Gar's myself).

And yeah, in most competitive leagues, there are always the PKMN that everyone seems to use. I could name about 40 and guarantee you that every person with a 1600+ rating used at least two of them. Of course, if you know what they are, preparations are easier in that you know what you're up against.

Today is the last day of the tournament right? Today will be the first chance I have to compete. I hope to get at least three battles done so I can see what my team is working with. Very disappointing that the disconnects punish both players and not the one that actually did it.

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

@LadyScathach; My team is a typical competitive team. Hitmontop, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Zapdos, Wash Rotom and Scizor. That's how xD

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    @LadyScathach; My team is a typical competitive team. Hitmontop, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Zapdos, Wash Rotom and Scizor. That's how xD
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LadyScathach View Post
    What kind of team are you using? TR teams usually beat me, and I'll be the first person to give you a five-page rant on the Lait's, but Flygon and Gar shouldn't be too bad. Well, if you've got a Scarf'd Gar spamming Rock Slide, I can see how that might be a problem, but players, with the exception of a few outliers, usually stay away from Choice items in doubles (though I saw a couple Scarf'd Gar's myself).

And yeah, in most competitive leagues, there are always the PKMN that everyone seems to use. I could name about 40 and guarantee you that every person with a 1600+ rating used at least two of them. Of course, if you know what they are, preparations are easier in that you know what you're up against.
    Metagross, Machamp, Starmie, Braviary, Espeon, and Blissey...
    admittedly it likely doesn't help the fact that I take personal preference in Rotation Battles, which makes me wonder... what's the big emphasis on Double Battles, anyways?

anyways, looks like it's over, my character's named "Grey" and my final rating is 1494... a little less than what I started with... oh well.

admittedly it likely doesn't help the fact that I take personal preference in Rotation Battles, which makes me wonder... what's the big emphasis on Double Battles, anyways?
    I've always assumed that the choice in format had to do with time; some people won't hang around for a thirty minute, 80+ turn battle like you can get in singles. Of course, then it'd make more sense to use Triples, but like Rotation, those were new with Gen V. Just a personal theory.

1662 with Marowak, Gyarados, Jolteon, Politoed, Scizor, and Tornadus here.

I get to the library last night around 7 all excited. Sit down in one of the comfy chairs in preparation for a few good battles and find out the tournament has ended and my battle box has been unlocked. Since I didn't actually compete, but did register for the tournament will I still get a berry? Upset doesn't begin to describe how I felt yesterday.

@Boyblunt:upon last recall, I remember the rules stating requiring a minimum of ten battles to make it into the rankings (and get the custap berry).

my sympathies for not being able to get started, I'll see about sharing one with you when I'm done growing them.
    ...err, IF I get one, I'm hoping I didn't get too many disconnects against me...

You rock! What does the berry do?

it basically acts like a one-use Quick Claw when a Pokemon is at low health, but what I intend on growing it for is for the fact that it sells for around 30,000 with the Hungry Maid in route 5... each...

*sigh* so, how long does it take for rankings to get tallied up, anyways? is it until the next tourney?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast