[OU] My Sandstorm Team - Desert Storm

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Kane Dunestorm
  • 2 Post By Chiss

Thread: [OU] My Sandstorm Team - Desert Storm

Mörë kvlt thän thöv Kane Dunestorm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kane Dunestorm On Twitter Add Kane Dunestorm on Facebook Add Kane Dunestorm on Google+
    Add Kane Dunestorm on Linkedin Follow Kane Dunestorm on Tumblr Follow Kane Dunestorm on Flickr Visit Kane Dunestorm's Youtube Channel

Default [OU] My Sandstorm Team - Desert Storm

This is Desert Storm, a Sandstorm team I have worked on for the past couple of years. It uses original and unconventional Pokémon/move sets in a cohesive Sandstorm team that actually works. I have had some slight successes with it, but I would still like to improve upon it a bit. Just a note however, I chose all Pokémon in the team specifically to resemble something out of the Sonoran Desert, whether it be a plant, animal, artifact or natural occurrence.

So, without further ado, here is the team.

Haboob (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 SAtk / 176 SDef
    IVs: 0 Spd
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Blast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Superpower

This is Haboob, my Tyranitar lead. She is as slow as possible to get the sand in after other weather leads get theirs in, cancelling out theirs. As far as move set goes, its pretty much standard T-Tar lead.

Behind the name:

Scorpion (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt

This Gliscor is an absolutely annoying physical wall. You can’t status him with his Toxic Orb and Poison Heal protecting him, which also means he’ll be healing most of the damage you deal to him, and after he sets up a sub and a taunt, you’re pretty much locked into either switching out and hoping to find a better way to beat him, or simply try your luck at continuing the hopeless assault on his sky high defenses.

Behind the name:

Apache (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Apache, my Scizor uses a traditional Choice Band set that can really wreck havoc on my opponent. With a high 130 base attack coupled with a choice band, his attacks tend to hurt. Not only that, but thanks to technician, it means that the priority moves he uses hit harder than most other moves.

Behind the name:

Saguaro (Cacturne) (M) @ BrightPowder (or Focus Sash, depending on the legality of BrightPowder)
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Sucker Punch
    - Seed Bomb
    - Swords Dance

Where do I start? I simply love this guy. Once he gets set up, he’s simply amazing. Even if the opposing Pokémon does survive, it’s very likely they will miss him when they strike back, thanks to Sand Veil, where he’ll have room to set up some spikes, and boost his attack even more with Swords Dance.

Behind the name:

Kachina (Sigilyph) (M) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Cosmic Power
    - Roost
    - Stored Power
    - Psycho Shift

Kachina, my Sigilyph is quite literally intended to harness the power of the cosmos. Not only will it boost its defenses significantly, but it also provides essential means for boosting the power of stored power. Roost is for healing up when you haven’t quite gotten in enough cosmic powers, and psycho shift takes advantage of magic guard + flame orb to cripple the opponents physical attack and cause residual damage.

Behind the name:

Monsoon (Jellicent) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Water Spout
    - Shadow Ball
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam

Monsoon is a lot more offensively tuned than a Jellicent you would usually see on a Sand team. While he still is there to block rapid spin effectively, he’s more inclined to simply go all out attack instead of stall (which is all he can do considering its a choice specs set…). He also does act as a sponge for my major water/ice weakness still, which is important.

Behind the name:
    BadAssGardevoir and rubyy like this.

Add Chiss on Facebook

Default Re: [OU] My Sandstorm Team - Desert Storm

Can't really improve on the team, it's already pretty awesome. But I love the work and the depth you've put into this team.
    Kane Dunestorm and rubyy like this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kane Dunestorm On Twitter Add Kane Dunestorm on Facebook Add Kane Dunestorm on Google+
    Add Kane Dunestorm on Linkedin Follow Kane Dunestorm on Tumblr Follow Kane Dunestorm on Flickr Visit Kane Dunestorm's Youtube Channel

Thanks! I guess that's what two years of constant tweaking and practice will do for you.

Hmmm... That Sigilyph set looks like it is directly taken from Serebii's Pokemon of the week.

The team looks amazing, and I have only a small suggestion.
    Jellicent's Surf does not seem to fit, as all of your other pokemon except Cacturne and Sigilyph would take massive damage from it in doubles. Scald helps with its burn, and Hydro Pump has massive power, while Brine Compliments Water Spout well.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ninfiaVI View Post
    Hmmm... That Sigilyph set looks like it is directly taken from Serebii's Pokemon of the week.
    Which is in turn taken directly from Smogon.

Jellicent's Surf does not seem to fit, as all of your other pokemon except Cacturne and Sigilyph would take massive damage from it in doubles.
    Except this is a Singles team.

Anyway, there's one fatal flaw in the team: Sand Veil on Gliscor and Cacturne. Most competitive battles are Smogon-regulated, and because of that, Sand Veil is banned (on grounds of violating the Evasion Clause). Might want to take that into consideration.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

As an FYI, I know of the Smogon rules, but I don't follow them, at least not on that (because I find it quite silly). I battle mostly over infrared. As an FYI, my Gliscor uses Poison Heal anyways.

YouTube | Tumblr | Dunestorm.com
    I play Pokémon Y! My Friend Code is: 4983-5814-6366