[Gen 5 OU] FWG Core RMT

Thread: [Gen 5 OU] FWG Core RMT

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

Default [Gen 5 OU] FWG Core RMT

So yea, making a RMT about a new team I wanted to make. I haven't played a lot of competitive battling since the DPP days, as well as the beginning of BW, so I wanted to jump back into it with a new team that I've tried to put together, and feel confident in. Any solid opinions or CC&C are appreciated, as well as any suggestions for movesets and/or replacements for Pokemon on my team. Be aware that this is based around the FWG core of Celebi, Heatran, and Rotom-Wash. Thanks to the few people that gave me the idea and some little comments, I really appreciate it. ^_^

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 232 HP / 240 SpAtk / 36 Spd
    Modest Nature
    ~ Leaf Storm
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Thunder Wave
    ~ Recover

The one Pokemon that I really wanted to build a team around. This is Celebi's 'Tinkerbell' set, and it has a lot of versatility. Thunder Wave is there to cripple faster opponents to help the slower Pokemon on this team, and give Lucario and Landorus the advantage, as I chose neither of them to be choiced. Hidden Power Fire is there so it can nail Scizor that thinks it can walk all over Celebi. I decided against HP Ice because I have all of Heatran, Skarmory, and Lucario as Dragon checks. Leaf Storm supports its hit and run nature, and Recover keeps her alive for numerous appearances.

Heatran @ Shed Shell
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    ~ Lava Plume
    ~ Protect
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Toxic

Specially Defensive Heatran is pretty self explanatory. He sets up my Rocks for the team, which Skarmory can abuse, and has good defensive synergy with both it and Landorus. Toxic over Will-o-Wisp because I am carrying Lava Plume, so that I can throw around Burm, Toxic, and Paralysis between Heatran and Celebi. Shed Shell was my preferred item over Leftovers or Air Balloon because of Dugtrio, which Air Balloon doesn't counter effectively unless I can land a Burn on it. Protect is on there just to help stall out Toxic, and scout for potential movesets of Pokemon.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature
    ~ Roost
    ~ Spikes
    ~ Whirlwind
    ~ Brave Bird

I really wanted a physically defensive Pokemon in this team, and Skarmory was pretty much my first choice. It does apparantly get countered by Magnezone, but I've yet to see one so I don't know if I should really be concerned about it. Besides that, I didn't want to run Shed Shell on both of my defensive Pokemon. It runs Spikes and Whirlwind to help build up the hazards with Heatran, and then abuse them with Whirlwind, while forcing out any Pokemon that managed to set up, namely strong set up sweepers like Dragonite and Tyranitar. I threw Brave Bird on there just to prevent him from being Taunt fodder.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Trick

The other part of my FWG triplet, this little beauty is my Scarfed revenge killer and scout. Pretty standard Rotom-W set as well, but it fits into my team nicely. It counters those oh-so-common rain teams relatively well, despite not running Thunder. Hidden Power Fire to hit Genesect and Scizor, as well as other Celebi that might want to come in and try to cause havoc. Volt Switch does nice damage along with the benefit of scouting. Trick can be used to cripple any nasty defensive, stally Pokemon that won't appreciate being Choiced.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    ~ Extremespeed
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Bullet Punch

I needed a powerful physical attacker, and I've had success with Lucario when I played with him in the DPP meta, and with access to Justified and a +2 Extremespeed, I wanted to try him out again. I'm aware that a SD set is typical for Lucario, but I preferred to play him as an all-out LO attacker. My choice of moves are pretty standard for Lucario. I chose Bullet Punch over Crunch because I can't think of any Psychic types that threaten my team badly bar Latios/Latias, and those two are checked by Ice Punch anyway.

Landorus @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Hidden Power Ice

I chose Landorus to round out my team, despite my personal dislike of him, due to a recent realisation that he is a really useful Pokemon, and I feel he fills my final slot well. I chose an Expert Belt set due to already having a Scarf user on my team. It's a great counter to whatever Electric types may show their heads, and hits many things hard with STAB Earthquake, and then Stone Edge. It can lure in Pokemon like Gliscor, that can check my Heatran well since it isn't running HP Ice, and hit them when they predict the common Scarf Landorus. U-Turn is a good scout and escape tool, despite the lack of a Scarf. I chose no investment into SpAtk because HP Ice can OHKO Gliscor and many other threats after Rocks/Spikes damage.
    Last edited by The pokemaster; 5th October 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Default Re: [Gen 5 OU] FWG Core RMT

Ok your team looks nice so I'll give you a rate.

Firstly Celebi should be running HP Ice over HP Fire because Lum Dragonite or Lum Mence can freely switch into it and get up a dance. One either of them have a boost against you the only way you have to revenge them is locking them into Outrage and phazing with Skarmory (He can't take a Flamethrower and will get dented badly by a Fire Punch). HP Fire is surprisingly useless as well because it only hits Genesect and Scizor who can both have sets that outspeed you. If they come in on a Leaf Storm they can force you out to Heatran anyway (Who with a Shed Shell is an amazing VoltTurn counter in partnership with Celebi.

Heatran looks ok for now but if you are getting worn down too easy by GeneSun and VoltTurn cores then you can either run Wish Support with it or stick Rest on it and have Aromatherapy support. Most players running defensive Heatran right now are going with the latter.

With Skarm the general consensus is that one should use Leftovers on the ladder and run Shed Shell in tournament games.

Bullet Punch on Lucario doesn't really hit anything that otherwise wouldn't be hit by Extremespeed that has high base power. You should run Swords Dance over Bullet Punch to give you the potential to clean the opposition once hazards are up. Because lucario provides no real defensive steel I would recommend a different offensive cleaner.

Breloom (M) @ Fight Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Mach Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spore

It lacks the speed of Lucario but can cripple the opposing team with a Spore allowing for easier setup as well as a far more powerful priority attack for revenge killing.

As your team is stall based I would recommend Landorus-T over Landorus who can hit harder outside of sand as well as provide Intimidate support to give you another cover against strong physical attackers such as Terrakion who can potential pound through your other walls.
    @The pokemaster;

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Ok your team looks nice so I'll give you a rate.

Firstly Celebi should be running HP Ice over HP Fire because Lum Dragonite or Lum Mence can freely switch into it and get up a dance. One either of them have a boost against you the only way you have to revenge them is locking them into Outrage and phazing with Skarmory (He can't take a Flamethrower and will get dented badly by a Fire Punch). HP Fire is surprisingly useless as well because it only hits Genesect and Scizor who can both have sets that outspeed you. If they come in on a Leaf Storm they can force you out to Heatran anyway (Who with a Shed Shell is an amazing VoltTurn counter in partnership with Celebi.
    Noted and changed. I didn't think I'd need HP Ice, but pretty much every battle I'd had with HP Fire it felt like a wasted spot.

Heatran looks ok for now but if you are getting worn down too easy by GeneSun and VoltTurn cores then you can either run Wish Support with it or stick Rest on it and have Aromatherapy support. Most players running defensive Heatran right now are going with the latter.
    Right now, I'm having more problems with entry hazards than I am with either of those two. With the Wish and Aromatherapy support though, did you intend this with Celebi, or another Pokemon?

Bullet Punch on Lucario doesn't really hit anything that otherwise wouldn't be hit by Extremespeed that has high base power. You should run Swords Dance over Bullet Punch to give you the potential to clean the opposition once hazards are up. Because lucario provides no real defensive steel I would recommend a different offensive cleaner.

Breloom (M) @ Fight Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Mach Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spore

It lacks the speed of Lucario but can cripple the opposing team with a Spore allowing for easier setup as well as a far more powerful priority attack for revenge killing.
    I really like that Breloom set, and it has generally been more reliable for me than Lucario has so far. I had completely overlooked it initially, because I thought that a Poison Heal set was the only one viable, but this has proved better to me than Lucario so far.

As your team is stall based I would recommend Landorus-T over Landorus who can hit harder outside of sand as well as provide Intimidate support to give you another cover against strong physical attackers such as Terrakion who can potential pound through your other walls.
    I chose Landorus over Landorus-T due to it's Flying typing. It let me get switches off easier, and I honestly don't see the advantage of the Therian form over its Incarnate form.

Another couple of notes after battling a bit with this team. So far, any core with Genesect hasn't proved much of an issue, however Rain teams have. I feel like I don't have really any counter against these teams. Rotom-W hasn't been as much of a help as I had thought, so I'm considering changing to a bulky special attacker set, so I can counter Rain more reliably. Starmie has proved a large issue as well, being able to spin away my hazards, and hit nearly everything I have with its great coverage (especially in rain) and can even outspeed my Scarfed Rotom-W. In general, my Heatran's survivability is lacking too. I've rarely had the chance to utilise Toxic properly, although the few Dugtrios I have seen have been absolutely destroyed by my use of Shed Shell, so I don't really know what to do there.

I feel like there's something missing from my team, but I can't really pinpoint what that is.

@The pokemaster; Landorus-T has the same typing as Landorus.

With Aromapherapy the best option to use it with is probably Celebi and then run Rest over Protect or stealth Rocks on Heatran (You could run Rocks on Landorus-T).

With Rotom-W I would run 252 HP and Special attack with Modest and go for Pain Split and Will-O Wisp on it over Trick and HP to give you some kind of recovery against rain.