[BW OU] Does this look like other OU teams? Probably.

Thread: [BW OU] Does this look like other OU teams? Probably.

No more than an illusion. IceDorago's Avatar

Default [BW OU] Does this look like other OU teams? Probably.

After quite a while away from it, I decided I'd try and get back into competitive battling. While I had played B/W's metagame before dropping, it was at the time when it was still young and Smogon hadn't put up proper tier lists and analysises yet, so it's changed a bit while I've been gone. But, after looking at the OU list for an hour or so, I put together a team that seems to work quite well for me.

I'd normally put some teambuilding process here, but my mind kept changing a lot while putting this together, the process would be a 2-3 page mess of random, and, well, I don't even remember most of it. So, that being the case, let's get on with the team!

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Trick
    Latios is an amazing attacker, was strong enough to be an Uber until this Gen, and is one of my favorite Pokémon. On top of that, I've found Pokémon such as this to usually be good leads. So, why not use it? Draco Meteor wrecks most non-resistant things and Surf is an excellent partner, as it hits a lot of things hard without the adverse effects that come with Draco Meteor, and hits super-effective against things like Tyranitar. I was running Dragon Pulse over HP Fire, as I sometimes do on Pokémon with sets like this, but as usual, it gets swapped for something more useful. I don't even know why I bother trying to run D-Pulse on these, because it'll inevitably get scrapped. HP Fire allows me to hit the steel types that resist my Dragon moves, notably Ferrothorn. In the tests I did, I sometimes got into situations where I had to play a bit awkwardly around Ferrothorn because I couldn't straight out attack it with Latios. Trick is there, because giving your Specs to, say, a Chansey (or anything else that walls you) will make you very happy.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Sacred Sword
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    I have never actually used this before now. I really don't know why. It is an amazing revenge killer, and its moveset provides amazing coverage. Close Combat and Stone Edge hit pretty much everything big, and X-Scissor, while generally not getting as much use as the aforementioned moves, helps kill Bugs and Grass types if you happen to run across them. I'm not sure whether Rock Slide or Sacred Sword is the more common choice for the last slot. I picked the latter in order to hit walls that boost their defenses. But now that I think about it, the things that come to mind wouldn't really be bothered by Sacred Sword anyway, so I might change it to Rock Slide in order to get a more accurate Rock move. Opinions?

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sdef
    IV: 0Spe
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Power Whip
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball
    This Pokémon is so amazing. Having a single weakness with amazing defenses is quite nice, no? Spikes give me some form of entry hazard, at least, and Leech Seed helps me wear things down, which combined with Iron Barbs and a powerful offense in Power Whip, makes this Pokémon quite good. I know some people like Thunder Wave, but I prefer going with the 0 Speed IV and Gyro Ball.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Protect
    I'm a bit iffy on this one. So far it's done it's job, but Jellicent has been fulfilling the role of Bulky water much better so far, and the only reason I'm using this alongside it is for Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, which I'm not sure warrant use of this, as I could find another that does this. However, with Rain being common in OU, and Tentacruel getting Rain Dish through the Dream World, this Pokémon should be a nice asset if I face a player with Rain (though I haven't yet encountered one in my testing), yet still does not depend on the weather, which is a plus.

Infernape (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Close Combat
    - Overheat
    - U-turn
    - Mach Punch
    I hardly ever used Infernape last Gen, and I don't recall ever using it in this one. However, now that I'm playing with it, I think I was being an idiot staying away. Infernape's great attack allows it to utilize Close Combat to hit a lot of stuff for great damage, as well as use U-turn to run, or Mach Punch to hit things that are low. It's no slouch with Special moves either, especially when paired with one like Overheat, which also hits a lot of things hard. The mind games having both Close Combat and Overheat can cause are fun sometimes, too. The only problem I've had is that with the addition of the Life Orb, this thing dies very easily, but it was pretty much what I was expecting.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Taunt
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    And finally to finish up the team, we have the amazing mustache sporting jellyfish himself. Taunt stops things from setting up, and can easily break people stalling plans with their walls, because I can then switch into my sweepers without fear of statuses and the like. Recover allows me to heal up, obviously, and stall. Due to being able to get a Toxic status on many grounded Pokémon via Tentacruel, as well has having Will-O-Wisp on this and using Scald on both of my bulky Waters, combined with the Leech Seed that I run on Ferrothorn, my opponents most likely have some condition that will decrease their health, making stall very valuable.

Other Notes:
    I've been considering testing this with Scizor/Heatran/Conkeldurr/Skarmory, as I'd like a less frail version of the Infernape that still does the same job, somewhat. Scizor/Heatran would get me somewhat the same coverage as Infernape (U-Turn, Prio and Fighting on Scizor, fire on Heatran), as well as Heatran getting me Fire immunity to protect the two steels I would have. Skarmory could be nice in order to have a phazer as well as add in an extra hazard setter.

However, right now, my primary concern is to try dropping Tenta, because Jellicent is generally superior and two bulky waters semms redundant, which I may swap for a Magnezone to deal with steels. But, first, I'd like to hear what you all think about the team and whether that's worth it.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [BW OU] Does this look like other OU teams? Probably.

Do keep a spinner even if you remove tenta.

Consider teaching stealth rock to infernape instead of mach punch. You want a revenger? you have scarf terrakion. nape's mach punch is also pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post

Consider teaching stealth rock to infernape instead of mach punch. You want a revenger? you have scarf terrakion. nape's mach punch is also pathetic.
    I really don't see the point of dropping a priority move, which, while it won't be used often, can still hit low health faster Pokémon for a move that I'll probably die setting up. Now that I think about it, Forretress would work pretty well, as it would give me Spin and the last two hazards.

While I do have Terrakion as a revenger, I'm unsure as to what I'd replace Ape with if I were to drop it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IceDorago View Post

I really don't see the point of dropping a priority move, which, while it won't be used often, can still hit low health faster Pokémon for a move that I'll probably die setting up. Now that I think about it, Forretress would work pretty well, as it would give me Spin and the last two hazards.

While I do have Terrakion as a revenger, I'm unsure as to what I'd replace Ape with if I were to drop it.
    Lucario and Scizor are far better priority users then nape can ever dream to be.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Lucario and Scizor are far better priority users then nape can ever dream to be.
    I know that. But if I use a Forretress (the testing of which is going well, so I'll probably keep it), then swapping Ape for Scizor/Luke gives me a massive Fire weakness.

Blog Entries

Sorry for not doing a full rate, as I am very rusty with it...but a few things caught my eye.

I'm curious as to why there is no Stealth Rock at all on this team, yet there is Toxic Spikes and Spikes. I mean the OU tier has Mence and Dragonite, along with a few other hard hitting sweepers who I'm sure would not appreciate taking even 12% off their HP just on entry. Personally I would replace Spikes on Ferrothorn with SR. Toxic Spikes are very good to keep the opponents walls in fear from switching in, and with SR they will probably want to switch around much less. Also SR is far more beneficial, imo, as it does only take one turn, aside from Spikes which takes a total of 3...and even if you get trapped by Magnezone, you should be able to set up SR regardless, but with Spikes you'd probably get 1 layer up. But it depends on how you play I guess. I'm just looking at the total time wasted and the amount of free turns you're giving your opponent setting these things up. With the current one, your opponent has 5 free turns (2 layers of Toxic Spikes, 3 layers of Spikes) to do what ever they want, which could be a problem. I'd say 3 turns isn't really much better (SR + 2 layers of Toxic Spikes), but it does save time.

Also Ape looks like a really odd choice for the team. If you're looking for a mix sweeper and a wall breaker, I'd say maybe try like a Life Orb or Scarfed Landorus. You have plenty of ways to cover his weaknesses, and he would come in handy when facing a Sand Storm team, where Ape would probably not be that much of a help (Sand + Life Orb + weak HP + Entry Hazards), where as Landorus is slower, but bulkier and fit for sand. They don't cover the same threats, but I'd say it would be worth a shot to at least test out, epscially seeing as how only 2 Pokes resist Thunderbolt, and I doubt you'd want Latios try to take it...and remember you have to keep Ferrothorn alive...so Landorus being immune, he'd cover well for your two water types. Or if you're going more of a defensive route, I'd say try Poison Heal Gliscor, he can Taunt walls and also set up on them, just depends how you play or want to deal with them.

Aside from that it looks like the team would do ok. Hope this helped a bit. ^_^;
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I'm curious as to why there is no Stealth Rock at all on this team, yet there is Toxic Spikes and Spikes. I mean the OU tier has Mence and Dragonite, along with a few other hard hitting sweepers who I'm sure would not appreciate taking even 12% off their HP just on entry. Personally I would replace Spikes on Ferrothorn with SR. Toxic Spikes are very good to keep the opponents walls in fear from switching in, and with SR they will probably want to switch around much less. Also SR is far more beneficial, imo, as it does only take one turn, aside from Spikes which takes a total of 3...and even if you get trapped by Magnezone, you should be able to set up SR regardless, but with Spikes you'd probably get 1 layer up. But it depends on how you play I guess. I'm just looking at the total time wasted and the amount of free turns you're giving your opponent setting these things up. With the current one, your opponent has 5 free turns (2 layers of Toxic Spikes, 3 layers of Spikes) to do what ever they want, which could be a problem. I'd say 3 turns isn't really much better (SR + 2 layers of Toxic Spikes), but it does save time.
    I was planning to test with Forretress over Tentacruel, which would keep the purpose of TS and Spin, as well as carrying SR. Spikes works well with Ferrothorn's bulk as it can easily fit those three layers in while it's stalling something it gets a Leech Seed up to drain the foe. I just haven't updated the OP as I haven't actually gotten around to the testing, but I think it'll work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Also Ape looks like a really odd choice for the team. If you're looking for a mix sweeper and a wall breaker, I'd say maybe try like a Life Orb or Scarfed Landorus. You have plenty of ways to cover his weaknesses, and he would come in handy when facing a Sand Storm team, where Ape would probably not be that much of a help (Sand + Life Orb + weak HP + Entry Hazards), where as Landorus is slower, but bulkier and fit for sand. They don't cover the same threats, but I'd say it would be worth a shot to at least test out, epscially seeing as how only 2 Pokes resist Thunderbolt, and I doubt you'd want Latios try to take it...and remember you have to keep Ferrothorn alive...so Landorus being immune, he'd cover well for your two water types. Or if you're going more of a defensive route, I'd say try Poison Heal Gliscor, he can Taunt walls and also set up on them, just depends how you play or want to deal with them.
    I'll try Landorus, as OU is filled with Sand, so I should be able to get his abilities to kick in often, and even without them, he's not bad.

Blog Entries

You are going to have a really hard time setting up 2 hazards with just foretress. The first thing any decent opponent will do is to taunt foretress. If he has 2 hazards + rapid spin, you are going to have a hard time preventing foretress from being setup fodder.