MUSIC: Mr Metagross' Sausage Rolls! (NEW CHANNEL - NEW VIDEOS)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr Metagross' Sausage Rolls! (NEW CHANNEL - NEW VIDEOS)

Blog Entries

Default Mr Metagross' Sausage Rolls! (NEW CHANNEL - NEW VIDEOS)

It's finally here! I'm probably the only one that's excited for this, though.
    After several weeks of working my arse off, I've finally finished everything. So, without further ado:

Mr Metagross' SAUSAGE ROLLS!

Welcome to the Sausage Rolls thread! This is basically a music thread like any other with a fancy name. I'm an aspiring rock musician:
    -I play bass guitar as my first instrument. Favourite artist: Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    -I have self-taught electric guitar for several months now. Favourite artist: Jimi Hendrix of The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    -I've taken piano lessons for a while now; I play blues and jazz. Favourite artist: Dave Grusin.

Please comment on my work and, of course, enjoy all the crap I post here.

I do take requests, also; i.e. genres and covers. I will find electronic and R'n'B difficult without use of a keyboard, and some impossible song like Bohemian Rhapsody or Star Spangled Banner will probably need a little thought from me.

SAUSAGE ROLLS

StackoST's YouTube Channel
    Here is my new channel. There's a bunch of pre-prepared videos for you to watch there.

-EVERYTHING BELOW THIS POINT IS MY OLD CHANNEL/OLD MEDIA-

Turn It Again (Bass Cover) - YouTube
    Woot, return ceremony.

-

Ray's Blues (Piano Cover) - YouTube
    This is HARD. I made a lot of mistakes, but I hope you can look past them.

-

Can't Stop (Bass Cover) - YouTube
    Flea is crazy and I just started getting into the Chili Peppers. What better point to produce a cover of one of their best songs?

-

Amber Glow - 4Shared
    My first self-composed piece. It's easy listening and I was pretty pleased with the end result.

-

I Need Some Rockin' Tonight - YouTube
    This is me with my old band. I was a little mental back then so ignore that. I was on bass, Camden was on lead guitar, Dylan on rhythm guitar, Catherine on vocals and Owen on drums. Our old drummer, Louie, wasn't there unfortunately, as Dylan says later on.

-

Won't Get Fooled Again (Bass Cover) - YouTube
    The Who are awesome. John Entwistle is awesome. And I love nothing more than my fingers screaming away at the strings on my bass. This went pretty well though it's really just me showing off.

-

Halo Theme (Remix) - 4Shared
    Halo is still better than CoD. =P
    Martin O'Donnell's themes for Halo have been revered as some of the best in gaming, and I agree, certainly. He writes epic pieces to go with an epic game series. Sadly, my GarageBand remix is hardly as epic.

I used two layers of pick guitars (really only one guitar put through two different amps), my finger bass, several different effects from GarageBand, a badly-recorded acoustic piano (which I synthesized after recording) and a customised drumbeat. This is my first ever remix and, in fact, the first ever GarageBand song I felt satisfied with.

So, please comment, and hopefully my future songs will be of better quality.
    Last edited by Mr Metagross; 13th February 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: More sausage rolls
    Look, I make music! Yay!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mr Metagross' Sausage Rolls! (aka Covers and Compos)

I'm listening to it right now, and I have to say, I think you did an excellent job! I've never played the Halo games before, so I haven't heard the original, but I think this is a fine cover.

I also don't know much about guitars, so I can't offer much advice in regards to how you played. The only critique I can give is that the piano could have been a little louder; it still should have been quieter than the rest of the song, though. I liked the dripping sound effect you used.

Overall, great job and keep it up! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    I'm listening to it right now, and I have to say, I think you did an excellent job! I've never played the Halo games before, so I haven't heard the original, but I think this is a fine cover.

I also don't know much about guitars, so I can't offer much advice in regards to how you played. The only critique I can give is that the piano could have been a little louder; it still should have been quieter than the rest of the song, though. I liked the dripping sound effect you used.

Overall, great job and keep it up! :)
    A better outcome than I expected, and very much appreciated that you commented. I agree, I was pretty satisfied with the cave drop sound effect when I found it. I thought it was perfect.

Thanks!
    Look, I make music! Yay!

Good stuff. Look forward to hearing more.
    That's nice.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I like it, nice choice of song. Both the guitars and the piano were recorded very well. I really like your use of sound effects and the... flanger? on the guitar in the intro and piano (I always get flanger and phaser mixed up). A personal opinion on the sound effects though: Instead of using the drops in the beginning, I would have gone from the thunder to the sound of rain, which would carry into the guitars. Then when everything drops out you would put in the water drops for a moment before the piano kicks in. It's also very good as is, though.

One HUGE effect to keep in mind when mixing: reverb. Most beginning artists don't use it enough. Personally I probably use too much, but if you get just the right amount then everything will sound very professional and real, even if it's completely synthesized. Just something to keep in mind. Keep up the good work, you've got the skills, now you just need the experience. We should collab sometime!

Blog Entries

@Missingno.: Much appreciated, more stuff coming soon though I have no idea what to choose since I really can't sing. I'll probably do what AetherX does and write an "image-conjuring" piece.

@AetherX: I used a little reverb in the cover, I can't remember where I put it but I did use a small amount. The rain sounds like a better idea now that I think about it; though the rainfall sound effect sounded a little like radio static so I put it aside for now. To me, the difference between the flanger and phaser is the latter gives you horrible feedback from the amp. Their real difference is I think the phaser moves the tone up and down, up and down etc. and the flanger...does something else. I've have to get back on GarageBand to remember; it has at least twelve different stompboxes, pedals and effects to go with each amp. I can sit at the Mac for hours, occupied with trying out every different combination of amps and pedals.

On the subject of the flanger; if you're referring to the first guitar heard during the thunder sequence, that was a phaser, along with three other stompboxes. I think you're being a little too nice when you say the piano was recorded well. It could have been done much better and I had to put a synth on it before it sounded vaguely like the rest. Until I get a proper keyboard, that's how it will stay.

Collaboration sounds great! I've been considering collab'ing with other people since I really, really can't sing to save my life.
    Look, I make music! Yay!

Blog Entries

Yeah it's hard to find good high quality samples, for free at least. Hmm... I guess I'm just used to hearing a little more extreme phaser effect, maybe you just let the dry signal through a fair amount. Well, your piano was better recorded than my attempts, but that might have to do with the fact that the best mic I have sucked even when it was made, sometime in the early 90s haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Metagross View Post
    @Missingno.: Much appreciated, more stuff coming soon though I have no idea what to choose since I really can't sing. I'll probably do what AetherX does and write an "image-conjuring" piece.
    Or you could just do what I do and turn a camera on and play whatever XD
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Or you could just do what I do and turn a camera on and play whatever XD
    I suppose that would work; especially for some of The Who covers I've been wanting to do. I mean, John Entwistle is a fantastic bassist and I can't replicate Keith Moon on GarageBand.
    Look, I make music! Yay!

Blog Entries

Speak of the devil. There goes my weekly double post.

These covers are so much easier to do. I decided I'd go for it and play my favourite song for bass: Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

There were three things I couldn't prevent:
    1) The sunlight on the fretboard.
    2) My sniffing. I had a cold (well, I live in Britain).
    3) The sound drops. I couldn't figure out what was wrong after three re-records.

Anyway, this was with my bass guitar, which is a Fender Squier Precision. I didn't use a pick (thank God), and what surprised me was that I was on almost maximum tone; which John Entwistle never uses.

Anyway, I hope you're all duly impressed lol. Enjoy and comment!
    Look, I make music! Yay!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mr Metagross' Sausage Rolls! (Latest: Won't Get Fooled Again bass cover)

Well, I don't know anything about bass guitar besides the fact that it's an awesome-sounding instrument so I don't really have any criticism here. It was all very well played. Looking forward to more.

P.S. Oh my! I love the shirt, it goes perfectly with the one I'm wearing right now: "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mr Metagross' Sausage Rolls! (Latest: Won't Get Fooled Again bass cover)

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Well, I don't know anything about bass guitar besides the fact that it's an awesome-sounding instrument so I don't really have any criticism here. It was all very well played. Looking forward to more.

P.S. Oh my! I love the shirt, it goes perfectly with the one I'm wearing right now: "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    Wow, what a great coincidence!

I think I did pretty well since the bassist for AC/DC, Cliff Richards, is probably the worst bassist in the world and doesn't deserve to be on stage. Listen to Thunderstruck and you'll understand. On the other hand, John Entwistle is an INSANE bassist. He can pull off amazing solos without even glancing at the frets. He's also the bassist for The Who. The difference between the two is Richards uses a pick and plays only the root notes of the chords the rhythm guitarist plays, but John Entwistle uses his fingers and he's completely crazy.
    Look, I make music! Yay!

THE Queen Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

I think you did a great job! I don't really know about the bass guitar but you sounded great. The sound was pretty clear and I could hear it well. "Won't get Fooled Again" is one of my favorite songs, so it is fun to hear it differently than how I normally do. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Noice SausageRolls.

Blog Entries

@Paperhorse: Thanks! I didn't think I did very well when I looked over it and I thought I might just be embarrassing myself. I improvised most of it.

@Soul Power: Lol. Thainks.
    Look, I make music! Yay!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast